Modern TMAs & Ninjutsu

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Sandninjer, Oct 9, 2012.

1. mattt

mattt Valued Member

If you allow others negative, or positive reinforcement of your study you will be in a weaker position than if you do not. The difference is a mindset that is internally validated, by your own principles as opposed to externally validated by seeking approval in others.

Furthermore, though contrary to the above, if it helps, the guys that disparage Ninjutsu from a MMA crowd are for the most part not serious practioners. Good MMA people take the best from everything and are very respectful.

They don't need to bash Ninjutsu, because their art works and they are internally validated.

2. Kave

Kave Lunatic

I agree with this. Don't let anyone put you off doing Ninjutsu just because they think it is a bit silly. So long as you are enjoying it and it meets your requirements, then it shouldn't be anyone elses concern.

If however you are doing Ninjutsu for a specific reason, it may pay to listen to external advice on whether Ninjutsu is providing the benefits you believe it is. Sometimes as an insider it is difficult to view your art with a sense of perspective, in particular if you have already spent a considerable amount of time and money on it.

If you claimed "I am learning Ninjutsu mainly to better understand military tactics", and you got a response from 100 separate people saying that although ninjutsu may involve learning Boryaku, that there are probably better alternatives to acheive the aim of "understanding military tactics", then it would probably be wise not to dismiss this advice without examining it. Likewise, if someone claims to be learning Ninjutsu purely to become proficient in Taijtsu, and 100 people say that although Ninjutsu covers Taijutsu there may be other methods of learning unarmed combat that could be superior, then it would be reasonable to try to objectively assess these claims.

In essence what I am saying is if your goals are met by studying Ninjutsu then don't let anyone put you off. However, sometimes it is prudent to review and reassess your goals (writing them down is a good starting point) and sometimes it is wise to get external perspectives on whether your art (or school) is the best match to your goals.

3. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

So Ishizuka or Zoughari aren't from a good background or lineage?

4. Chris Parker

Chris Parker Valued Member

The question of authenticity is quite a long, involved one... you've been training for a month and a bit, yeah? At this point, you're best plan of action is listen to your instructor, ask them what questions you have, and make up your own mind as to the value of what you're receiving. The lineage thing is a much bigger discussion...

Who says? Martial arts are always designed for a particular context, the only people who say they should all automatically be usable in all contexts are both wrong in believing such things, and wrong in that they think that's what they're saying. What they're always actually saying (as you are here) is that the art should be used in a different, specific context. MMA should work on the street as well as in a ring, etc. That's not all contexts, and it's not really accurate either. It can, but it's not "meant" to.

So when you say martial arts are "supposed to adapt" to the society it's in... who says? There's no rule, there's no requirement, and what an art is supposed to do is entirely dependent on the art itself, as well as the instructor/s of said system. For example, you train in the Genbukan. Tanemura has stated a number of times that what he is concerned with is the correct transmission and preservation of Japanese martial arts, with an emphasis on the correct Japanese spirit... if you can use it in a modern Western street environment, great, but that doesn't mean that it's "supposed" to just be whatever you want it to be.

In the end, it comes down to something I wrote on another thread recently... If you are training in an art from another time, another culture, another society, with a different social structure, a different form of violence, a different method of attack, and a completely different context, why would you expect it to be designed for where you are now? In doing Hontai Takagi Yoshin Ryu, do you really think Takagi Orieumon had your society in mind for his combative principles and techniques?

In other words, yeah, you're wrong. But you're not alone there.

Whoa, where has this talk of "assassination" come from? Really not something that's done... even historically. There is almost no evidence of any connection between "ninja" and assassination. So, to further your education, I'd get that idea knocked out pretty quick.

Uh, no, actually. As long as it benefits you, and suits your contextual needs, maybe... but then again, things like Koryu (which none of the Ninjutsu organisations are, let's be clear on that) really don't care that much about what benefits you get out of the training, it's more about what benefit you can be for the Ryu. But that's another long discussion... and I'm only really bringing it up here so you can see that nothing in this area is that cut and dried.

Er, how aware are you of these people? You do know that they share the same lineage/background... to the point that Ishizuka is Kacem's teacher? And that neither of them are really representative in and of themselves of any ultimate truth in this area, nor are either of them the question when it comes to lineage questions (okay, maybe some of Kacem's stuff)... but I do have to ask, why did you pick those two names?

5. mattt

mattt Valued Member

I think Kacem is the Goodwinism of the Ninjer threads, but please have the decency to lead into it with a few posts that have relevance so it has some sort of aplomb.

6. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

but don't you know mattt, hitler employed ninjas to assassinate sas infiltrators in germany in the early days of the war.

:)

7. EWBell

EWBell Valued Member

Sandninjer,

I am going to second what Chris is saying here. Ask your instructor and your seniors these types of questions.

Also, in the Genbukan we have a system called Goshinjutsu. In this system you can learn real self-defense applications of many of the techniques from the ryu-ha. Ask your instructor about that as well. Really though, at this point all you should be worrying about is doing the techniques you are being taught correctly. Patience is a very important thing in traditional Japanese martial arts, so be patient and things will eventually become much clearer.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
  8. Sandninjer

Sandninjer Valued Member

Bell, Chris, and others, thank you for the replies and feedback. I apologize if I came off as being impatient. These were just questions in the back of my mind, but perhaps I should ask my instructor. To be honest, it was also for the sake of discussion while I post from work! But your advice is duly noted.

Domo arigatou!

9. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

When something is authentic, does this lend it to be better or more efficient?

With utmost respect and sincerity, I do not completely understand this. Care to elaborate?

I can answer this if I could understand the above thoroughly

10. Chris Parker

That's quite an involved question... and not actually really relevant to the quote of mine you used, when it comes down to it. But, for an answer, I'd recommend reading my previous post, as it's dealt with to a degree there.

Ishizuka and Kacem are members of the Bujinkan, not the head of it, or any of the lines involved. As a result, if you're looking for who represents the lineage, it's not them.

You could answer why you chose those two names if you had more information on a comment I made afterwards? What?

11. skuggvarg

skuggvarg Valued Member

Chris, do you mean that the only one who "represents" the lineage is the Soke? Thats making it a bit simple really dont you agree?
    We are not talking about any bujinkan G.I. Joe but two quite prominent figures; one having been around long enough to see Takamatsu sensei in live action and with Menkyo Kaiden in several lineages to prove his worth (but he does not represent them???) and one who is know to be the student of above and also known for his interest, knowledge and ability to demonstrate aspects of the lineages discussed.

I think 47MartialMan was spot on for choosing these two gentlemen to represent solid budoka from the Bujinkan.

Regards / Skuggvarg

12. Chris Parker

Yes.

No, I think it makes it accurate. Because, well, it is.

Oh, I know who we're talking about, Richard. Kacem has no ranking in the Ryu (as far as has been revealed... unless you have an update?), and frankly, I am yet to be convinced of Kacem's actual understanding of the different Ryu themselves, as opposed to knowledge of the different materials within some of them. As far as Ishizuka is concerned, I have no queries on the length of time he has trained or anything else... but none of this is frankly relevant, unless he is now heading his own line of these Ryu?

Except that they don't represent the lineage themselves. In that regard, he might as well have chosen you, and asked if the question of authenticity meant that your lineage is questioned, or Wills, or, really, anyone's here.

13. Sandstorm

Sandstorm Valued Member

Not to side track this thread, but let me pose a question. How many people think having a menkyo kaiden automatically means that you can do martial arts effectively? Let me also go on to say that it is my personal opinion that some may over inflate this piece of paper and can not actually fight, do martial arts or even do the techniques right or possibly if they do know have a sickness of not really sharing what they know and teaching others and either can not or on purpose do not transmit the lineage correctly even though they have this rank. Just because a person has these ranks do not mean they are going to teach you correctly either.

Is menkyo kaiden or Soke the sole authority or maybe is it smoke and mirrors and paper tigers? How many can go and buy a menkyo kaiden from someone else in Japan? Ah rank its a lot to think about.

Just an opinion and not saying any person in particular is like this but, thought it worth mentioning it in this context though about the soke/menkyo kaiden thing.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
  14. mattt

mattt Valued Member

You are not considering the context of his comment. Your point is akin to 'how many people think having a blackbelt means....'

There are blackbelts and there are blackbelts, just as there are MK/Soke and MK/Soke.

As such, in the context that it was raised, the MK is legitimate, and for the most part they are able to do the techniques rather effectively.

15. Chris Parker

Honestly, I think the biggest issue is that those who keep looking to Menkyo Kaiden in the Bujinkan really have no clue about what it means, or how it does or doesn't apply. At least, those who do on the forums, that is...

16. mattt

mattt Valued Member

OK, what does MK in the Bujinkan mean?

17. Chris Parker

18. peterc8455

peterc8455 Valued Member

This is really a separate thread and some has been discussed before.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
  19. Chris Parker

Er, Peter? Sandninjer has only been training a month or so.... Sandstorm here is a veteran of a few decades.... so you know....

20. peterc8455

peterc8455 Valued Member

Oops my mistake .. all I saw was the "Sand.."

Ignore me I have Sandninjer on the brain. :D