MMA & Systema

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Samurai Jay, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Samurai Jay

Samurai Jay master of all weapons

Has anyone tried cross training with systema, I am moving soon & i am looking forward to trying systema, I have not been training mma very long so i will keep this going aswell, what do you think can they mix or are they too different.

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Probably too different to mix effectively. Just enjoy both

3. Griffin

Griffin Valued Member

You can mix whatever you want. But to be honest, i havent seen anything from Systema that would transfer to the cage. Working security outside the cage, sure why not, inside,, no.

Striking, throwing, groung game. Thats what you need to concentrate on. As im sure your aware, that equates to boxing/muay thai - Judo/Jiujitsu.
    Thats not to say that any other persuits dont have anything to offer, becouse they do, I train in a karate/judo blend, and like to dabble in Bagua whenever i can, and im quite happy with where im at.
    That said, i dont compete, if i did, i certainly wouldnt try and re-invent the wheel so to speak.

Hey, in the end just do what makes you happy, we only live once bro :cool:

4. Samurai Jay

I have no interest in competing, This is just for fun & self defence,

I don't go to the mma striking classes only the grappling, I have always used TMA for stand up,

Thanks for your comments but i hope to hear from someone who trains in systema.

5. Hannibal

They are too different - if that is not the answer you want then you have already reached a decision in your own mind and to be blunt I don't know why you are re-asking it unless you are seeking validation

For the record I do not train in Systema, but know people who do and I have trained extensively in ROSS.

6. Samurai Jay

I did re-ask, i was adding to my original post so that people know where i am coming from,

How about this for a new question is systema laughed at the same way aikido, taekwondo & wing chun are in the MMA world.

7. Hannibal

In certain circles yes - Bullshido springs immediately to mind.

The big problem is it is has a lot of, well to be blunt woo-woo ideas integrated. I knew a VERY senior Russian Martial Arts Instructor who described it as "complete b@llocks" and to be honest I valued his opinion highly.

That said I have another friend of mine who switched arts to Systema and was happy with it. I would advise going in with an open mind, but be prepared that it may not be exactlywhat you are looking for

8. Samurai Jay

Yer i seen some of these woo-woo ideas, I was hoping that it was only a small part of systema,

There are mixed opinons all over the internet on systema, so many people say they have quit there other martial art & put all there energy into systema,
    & then there are a heep of fighters that say systema is total BS but haven't tried it,

What do you think about the clips on youtube where they punch people in the stomach and tell them to breath.

9. Hannibal

I think it's more of a party trick than anything else!

Without any real experience of it I probably should hold back from too much comment, but what I have seen did not impress me in any way, shape or form. I think there is much better out there, but that is just my 2c

The best advice is try it to see if it suits YOU - my opinion is worth what you pay for it

10. Samurai Jay

what do you think of Bujinkan

11. Hannibal

Not to my taste, but not without merit either.

As I have mentioned previously I have trained with a former Bujinkan guy (he was 5th or 6th Dan - I can't actually recall which) and he had lovely "flow". I find it has more in common with my classical Jits training than anything. I lost interest in it because it did not fit with what I wanted.

What little bit I did was a lot of fun though - and you can underestimate fun in training!

12. Herbo

Herbo Valued Member

You're already training in MMA so you should be in an atmosphere which is bs free. What aren't you getting from your MMA training that you feel you'd benefit from at a systema class?

Have you considered sambo, considering that it's what's actually taught to Russian soldiers and would integrate well with your MMA?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2011
  13. Samurai Jay

Thanks Hannibal i asked about bujinkan Because that is what i do now, I have herd alot of people say that they are moving from bujinkan to systema, I was thinking it might be better because they move more naturally.

14. Samurai Jay

@herbo ksw

15. systema1

systema1 Valued Member

you will find that there is no BS in Systema Just a lot of very hard Training

16. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

So what about Mikhail waving his hands and making people fall down?

There's a clip out there, will have to see if I can find it, where he's about five foot away from the chap he's been demoing with and he makes a downward motion with his hand and his partner, who is getting up off the floor, falls back down in response.

I've seen at least one discussion on here where an instructor stated that he moved away from "mainline" training because of such things.

17. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

The problem is we have had videos here showing sparring partners falling over quicker than a premiership footballer.

18. Dean Winchester

There's a tendency for "uke", sorry for the Japanese terminology, to be almost indoctrinated to be overly compliant as they take ukemi.

From the point of view of uke part of the paired work is about training ukemi which is fine in training and as long as the person is aware of their role and what they are working on. However it becomes a problem, imo, when it is the standard response to paired work.

19. systema1

systema1 Valued Member

My Guys never taking dives, But also I cannot Vouch for all the systema videos There is a lot of fake systema out there. What ever art you do you will always find a poor representation of it on Youtube

20. Dean Winchester

Mikhail Ryabko is fake Systema?