MMA Rules Compared to 'The Street'

Discussion in 'MMA' started by notquitedead, Sep 19, 2004.

1. cybermonk

cybermonk New Member

Now we are getting somewhere mate! Pretty hard to poke someone in the eye when they have control of your arms, or bite someone when they got you in a choke.

There are some odd people out there... :D

2. Trent Tiemeyer

Trent Tiemeyer Valued Member

3. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Please to not misinterpretate me when talk of focuses. I do not mean he pays more attention to ground fighting more than striking... When i say focuses, i mean he realises legitimate ground fighting is an important part of training for the ground. Hence the fact he holds a 1st Dan black belt in Judo.

4. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

This guy actually used to make Bruce Lee noises when he tried to throw a punch as well :)

1ONEfighting, please confirm my suspicions as to why you posted that image! :D

Last edited: Sep 21, 2004
  5. Smee

Smee Evil kung fu genius

Hi Yuki

I don't think any serious martial artist could consider grappling as pointless.

My own TMA (hung gar) could be (wrongly) seen as a block/strike art like some karate styles. However, it can also be seen as a predominantly close range style involving a lot of "stand up" grappling - the view I prefer and adopt. In this situation I expect to a) take some hits on the way in b) get taken down now and again.

When taken down, I expect to be on my back receiving a hail of punches in a cloud of spit, snot and beer. I won't try an arm bar or triangle (unless I've been on the stella). I will try to escape into mount or his guard and do the same to him until he cries.

Trying complex grappling techniques on the street is AS likely if not MORE likely to result in you loosing your teef than a lot of supposedly "useless" TMA techniques.

I think that a dose of realism is needed on BOTH sides.

Paul

6. Trent Tiemeyer

Yuki, If I told you, it would only cheapen the meaning for everyone else.:D

7. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

lol well then PM me the answer :) :D Please?

8. Trent Tiemeyer

Sigh. "The More You Know" is a public service ad campaign sponsored by NBC. Celebrities make these little announcements about literacy or drug abuse, and then the above pic comes on with a little jingle.

I put the image there because of the breakthrough where cybermonk agreed with you.

9. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Alright lol my suspicion was wrong lol. :( You can't blame me for asking tho! We dont have NBC over here in the UK so i had no idea lol :D

10. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

I've thought about it, and decided to change my mind.

Forget this sweating and working out nonsense. Lets all go eat steak and call that training :D

11. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Training for the steak eating compitition :D:D

12. cybermonk

cybermonk New Member

Eating is good :)

13. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

Yup, and I got to train hard to get my shodan in biting :D

14. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Steak will do that! :D:D:D Especially my moms steak she makes lol, it's rock solid :D hehe

15. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

Well we do need to be well rounded martial biters, so lets not forget to cross train in Mushrooms....

16. semphoon

semphoon walk idiot, walk.

I love to see a kata involve biting*.

(*Please note this is not a dig at TMA or kata, the mental picture of lines of people walking up and down a silent hall biting the air is amusing...

I guess its not that funny when you have to explain the joke/cover all bases/be PC :eek:))

17. Cain

Cain New Member

The real thing is to cross train in sugarcane biting ie practicing with fully resisting opponents :yeleyes:

It's juicy too :p

|Cain|

18. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

lol don't worry :) it put a smile on my face :D

19. cybermonk

cybermonk New Member

Sugarcane is awesome...but im cuban so I could be a bit biased :Angel:

20. darran

darran New Member

aha... ok just caught on to your post. Lemme try and explain more clearly. Clinching and standup grappling are my STRONG points, I have basic knowledge of how to escape gaurd and perform certain submissions... I also have a little knowledge on how to control rhe jawline IN A GRAPPLING situation so as I dont get bitten. Poking someone in the eyes (gouging) is another VERY feasable technique and strategy. In standup clinch you may be in double arm neck tie with your hanbds behind the crown of his head, I can get my thumbs into his eyes and press damn hard and twist his head into takedown then shin (not kick) him in the upper chest or neck on takedown, understand? that is very simple to do. This is not a "I'll just bite them" attitude, haha, NO WAY man. I know standup grappling and I know the strengths of grappling but I also know that biting is a very present and doable danger in fighting, along with gouging. You cannot understand until you have expeirenced this be it in friendly sparring or a real fight. Sparring and adding fouling techniqes is easy, its all about letting them know you have done it by either biting softly or gouging softly... it works and it causes a lot of pain. Just for the record, I train in Thai fighting and have limited knowledge of Burmese Naban.

I am trying to learn what ways PURE grapplers prefer to take people down. I am also learning that MOST grapplers have very little knowledge of fouling. Fouling is a scary truth of fighting and it works. You cannot deny it.

http://s93079986.onlinehome.us/BITE1.wmv

http://s93079986.onlinehome.us/NECKSLIDE.wmv

some clips of techniques involving biting.

http://s93079986.onlinehome.us/bottomride.wmv

the bottom ride shows how Phil Dunlap teaches to be aware and protect yourself against biting while in gaurd.

whatch the clips.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2004