MMA on the news

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by GojuKJoe, Aug 30, 2005.

1. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

I've just had a look on the BBC's web site and my search has actually only turned up positive articles on MMA, don't know where I can look for the article they ran on the news.

2. Yama Tombo

Yama Tombo Valued Member

Nothing will come of it, they won't ban the fights, I bet you some parilament members bet and watch UFC

3. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Sounds like you guys are going though the MMA Competition growing pains we here in the States went through a decade ago. You'll survive, and so will Canada.

4. Bellator Manus

Bellator Manus Warrior of the Hand

Holy crap! I thought that thread was a joke! Boxing has 'enjoyed' a far worse record than MMA. I'm sure I don't need to imform you the safety measures that MMA events take that are safer than boxing.

5. Lithanwif

Lithanwif Human Punchbag

It isnt going to stop any one of us going to see the shows, buying the DVD's or in fact training.

So let them chatter....who cares. Drive me underground? great! I know of a bare knuckle boxer who is absolutely minted. Stopped that by outlawing it didnt you?

Why dont we worry more about things that dont concern two consenting adults?

6. Timmy Boy

Timmy Boy Man on a Mission

Having seen both the original piece of crap and the follow-up, this was my complaint.

"Brian Barron's response to his critics over his biased report on mixed martial arts competitions fails to make a case that would convince anyone who actually knows anything about the sport. He fails to draw distinctions between MMA fights and unsanctioned, unregulated brawling, simply because they look similar at first glance.

The first issue that seems to be getting up people's noses is the cage. Since the fighters are in there by their own consent, and the cage itself doesn't create any danger, I fail to see how putting the fighters in a cage rather than a ring makes any real difference.

Mr Barron talks about safety, but seems to forget that several combat sports exist already which present just as much - if not more - danger to the fighters. MMA is essentially a hybrid of the rules of muay thai (a legal sport) and submission wrestling (a legal sport). The only distinctive feature that isn't found in other combat sports is that you are allowed to strike a downed opponent. If you get knocked out, it makes no difference from a safety point of view if you're standing up or on the ground, plus the referee is on hand to stop the fight as soon as the person on the receiving end is unable to defend himself or chooses to submit.

In fact, MMA is - in some ways - safer than boxing. There has only been one recorded death in an actual MMA competition, which occurred when a fighter got into the ring against doctor's orders. An MMA fighter has a greater range of options than a boxer for ending a fight as quickly as possible. Kicks and knees may look more brutal than punches, but this means that a fighter will probably receive a clean knockout rather than just being battered around the head for round after round, which is what produces the "second knockout" effect in boxing. Also, the fact that fighters can also win by submission means that a knockout may not even happen at all.

Mr Barron has not reported this properly at all. He has taken a casual glance at MMA, failed to distinguish between it and other similar-looking cage fights, and then gone on to tar them all with the same brush. It is not that I simply disagree with Mr Barron's point of view, but more that what he says is factually wrong and he could have easily discovered the truth with a little rudimentary research."

Last edited: Sep 2, 2005
  7. Jesh

Jesh Dutch Side Of The Force

Happened everywhere... people trying to portray what they don't understand. Making massive generalisations, dumb comments, claims without proof etc.

I'll bet the reporters never even went to a match...

8. Holy Knight

Holy Knight New Member

I live in canada and am insenced at the new legislation. And now we get a false reporting? ... Is this world turning into self-protective mush without my perceiving it?

Today's world is much safer than it was say, 500 years ago, but it has in no way gotten easier to go through...I say we give a crash course to these ignorants!

9. medi

medi Sadly Passed Away - RIP

I saw a similar item on CNN. It was crap. No one cares. It's the Boxing camp trying to marginalize MMA for being 'brutal, gladiator style combat' (that's great coming from the Boxing Federation).

There's so much money in Boxing I think it's inevitable that they overtly and covertly campaign to preserve their position as Number 1 combat sport but I don't think they will win at the end of the day. Especially if they keep trying to take the moral high road over 'violence'.