MMA IS A STYLE

Discussion in 'MMA' started by iammartialarts, Jul 2, 2010.

1. iammartialarts

iammartialarts Banned Banned

It seems like todays ufc fights are a specific style. Most people fight near the same way, everyone seems to learn muay thai, jiu jitsu and wrestling, some with judo and boxing. They just take what seems to be the best from all the arts and put it together.

My first imagination when i heard of MMA was seeing what martial art was the best, out of kung fu with all the styles, karate, boxing, etc, fighting each other.
    Than maybe they would add them together.

When i first saw an early mma fight i thought it was really cool. Back then there were not as many rules and the fighters seemed pretty legit. Now most fighters seem like taekwondo sparring in a way. I dont mean to bash it, there are just rules, and people follow the same styles and everything. Their are only a few people i like to watch, like fedor, anderson silva, and some of the stand up fighters.

I dont really watch it anymore, is it like this? this is just what i thought of when i saw it last, and than watched this reality tv show about ufc.

In my opinion it would be cool to have no gloves, no rounds, and more styles. it should be like judo where if your on the ground and not getting anything done, they pull you back up (pretty fast because groundwork is boring to watch unless they are very good and smooth) i saw some south american mma fighting on youtube with no gloves, but i didnt like it because the guys fighting were so tense they kept their hands in fists when up the whole time and it looked like there entire arm was contracted most of the time.

One main reason i think it would be better is fights wouldnt last as long with less rules and no rounds. Rounds are stupid. there is no such thing in a street fight.

the last thing i dont really like about it is that most of the younger fighters are all afraid to get hit. Its good to respect not getting hit in the head etc, but this also makes it so people dont really go in for the kill so to say very much. doesnt make it fun to watch.

Why did different states not want them to be hosted there with little rules? that is what i read. could states get in trouble or something??

Last, are there any fight groups like i say in some country besides us, with little rules?

2. Stuart H

Stuart H On the Mandarin bandwagon

I don't know what kind of taekwondo you've been watching... Your first imagination was correct, this is what the early UFCs resembled. The reason the techniques used have all converged is because, notwithstanding differences in antropometry, there is an objectively optimum way to perform a straight right, a double leg takedown, a hip throw, a triangle choke, a rear naked choke etc - this is the delivery system, and it's evolved through nearly two decades of empiricism.

If you can't then see the differences in style within this delivery system, I'd suggest you watch more MMA. Compare for example the difference in the styles of Genki Sudo and Kevin Randleman.

Bare fists have fallen out of favour for the same reasons as in boxing, namely the problem of increased rate of facial injuries and broken hands.

Resting in between rounds is going to increase the pace of the fight - surely this is a good thing? It's also pretty silly to say you're concerned about making the fight less boring to watch by restricting ground fighting and getting fighters who are fearless about getting punched in the head, and then complaining that there are no rounds on the street. Do you want a sport or an assault? The rules are there so people don't get seriously injured.

I don't know about sanctioned fights elsewhere in the world with no gloves and little or no rules, though there's probably plenty of illegal ones. I'd suggest that pursuing these isn't a terribly good idea.

3. illegalusername

illegalusername Second Angriest Mapper

You are a dumbperson

4. iammartialarts

ur mother is a dumb person. oh man i just told you!!!!!!

5. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

MMA is not a style. It's a competition format. A large number of people in MMA train in a Muay-Thai-and-BJJ-fusion-thing, which has arguably become it's own style separate from orthodox MT and orthodox BJJ, but not everyone who competes in MMA trains in that MT-and-BJJ fusion. You've also got competitors who have trained primarily in freestyle wrestling (Randy Couture and Brock Lesnar), people who have trained primarily in Shotokan karate (Lyoto Machida), etc.

No gloves would result in a lot more injuries unless you outlawed face punches like in Kyokushin. Do you want a sporting competition or a bloody spectacle?

No rounds is an interesting idea (maybe the only interesting one in the original post). Most sports (martial or otherwise) have timed rounds, but I don't see why you need to have 'em. Baseball doesn't, after all, and saber fencing doesn't (you just get a brief break after one person reaches the 8th point in a 15-point match).

More styles? Anyone is welcome to compete. Judoka have had success in MMA, karateka have had success in MMA, sambo guys have had success in MMA, wrestlers have had success in MMA. It's not just MT and BJJ.

They're not afraid to get hit. Someone who overextends immediately and attacks recklessly before feeling out a skilled opponent usually ends up getting whomped in the end. There are exceptions, but that's a good rule of thumb. They're not afraid; they're just fighting smart.

All over the third world, and illegal ones all over the US and the like.

6. iammartialarts

do they have websites that i can watch them at? (is it legal to watch lol?)

7. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

8. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkqfa-kaRFM&feature=youtube_gdata"]YouTube- I'm A ****** (Ivor Biggun)[/ame]

9. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

I'll give you a plate, but I'm not going to chew your food for you. Search the internet.

Or better yet, get out and train. In something. Anything. At a real-life school with a real-life instructor.

10. iammartialarts

ya thats kind of cool

11. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

12. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

13. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

yea this is either trolling or johnny barber under a new name is just being stupid as usual talking about something he clearly doesn't understand as he hasn't watched enough of it to comment. However the point about rounds is valid I don't think its possible to ever go back to the no round fights but the 5 minute round formate really doesn't work for mma, the 15 minute rounds they had in Pride worked much better but even that may be long enough to cos controversy now days, perhaps a compromise of 10 minutes would work.

14. Dudelove

Dudelove Valued Member

15. iammartialarts

also being able to do finger submissions.

16. iammartialarts

and some freedom of elbows would make people have a little thought at takedowns.

17. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

What are you talking about?

Obligatory David Loiseau highlight reel:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABV2IjnuUUc"]YouTube- David "THE CROW" Loiseau 2008[/ame]

18. iammartialarts

19. Willsy

Willsy 'Ello love

:fight4:

20. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

It was allowed early on. And failed more often than it succeeded, if memory serves.