MMA History

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Cross_Trainer, Apr 5, 2007.

1. raaeoh

raaeoh never tell me the odds

Wrestling is as old as monkeys slapping each other. no one can claim a true lineage to that. :)

2. bodyshot

bodyshot Brown Belt Zanshin Karate

See this is what Im talking about, the fact that the word lineage even comes up in a conversation pretty much says it all. I will be so glad when the people stop this madness.
    the truth is that there is never going to be a style called MMA, thats nothing more than a generic name used by T.V. announcers and spectators, those fighters in that cage do specific kinds of martial arts with there very own names, those arts are mixed with other arts, thus it is MMA, which is again a generic name used to cover many different martial arts. There will never ever be a north american martial arts system that is just called MMA and never anything else lols.

No offense ment by the way, I like mma.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
  3. The Iron Fist

The Iron Fist Banned Banned

Me too, I think it's the best martial arts on display right now, bar none. I don't think lineages will ever go away brother they are part of how we tell stories to future generations. Everybody loves a good war story..

I don't see MMA as a generic name to cover many different arts more like an excuse to bring many different arts to the same place. We can avoid the semantic debate of style differences by simply saying MMA = MAM = martial arts, mixing. In that respect it's not a martial art, it's a way of learning and integrating different martial arts. I think it would be a shame to try to whitewash the history/legacy of all the great old arts that made MMA what it is today so I can see both sides of the argument...

4. Dave76

Dave76 Valued Member

What I've seen of the current H2H the Marines teach looks very much like a combat version of MMA.

5. bodyshot

Oh well brother let me tellya, its not a semantic debate, its the elephant in the room in fact. Todays fighters do martial art systems that have names, and that name is not MMA.

6. bodyshot

Did you seriously say its the best martial arts on display bar none...Thats so far from untrue and so closed minded of the martial arts as a whole that I will just have to write your comment off as an uneducated and insensetive statement made by someone who either just started at an MMA school or who has never studied martial arts ever before...

To hear adults makeing statements like how can we trace the lineage of MMA is sad and annoying, the word MMA is used oin this site like a two year old saying no to its parents. If any of you seriously are paying someone large amounts of money to learn "MMA" and he cant or wont tell you anything else about it than that you should run to the cops and make a fraud report and recover your money and time, your face time with that instructor is not worth what your paying him...

Please stop and think about what your saying and who your saying it about. These MMA conversations are doing nothing but diludeing all us that participate in them.

7. bodyshot

Really, did you say MMA lineage...Did you seriously say that then post a picture taken anytime this century...Love ya bro but are you ten years old or did you just start martial arts cause its one of the two. The man in that picture is a Martial arts bad ass that none of us should even be in the same room with let alone rerally talk about.

Theres no MMA lineage bro, its a history, a long long bloody history where slaves and freemen and prize fighters and martial artists and a whole bunch of other people came way way way way way way, before the UFC and there odd little notions about how awesome one group of guys jujitsu is.

8. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

As far as I am concerned, boxing is a traditional art, just a Western Traditional Art.

Considering it existed in Ancient Greece, uh yeah, it is pretty old.

http://pixgood.com/ancient-greek-boxing.html

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Found an image from Mesopotamia depicting boxing too, but can't seem to get the image transferred here. But google Boxing and Mesopotamia and you can see it.

9. bodyshot

This is the most intelligent post on this thread, I see why your a topic mod.

10. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Agreed.

Sort of agree. In terms of bringing martial arts as close to fighting as possible, I agree there isn't much that's as close. Amateur wrestling in my mind are more often "the best of the best" though. I'd say boxers but the top guys don't fight each other often enough for me.

11. bodyshot

You mean Im not alone...Finally another human being to keep me company on this island, thanks Chad.

12. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I would have thought it's popular opinion.

13. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Bodyshot,

Please stop the condescending down talking. Aside from being generally inappropriate, it's also misplaced. There's plenty of room to debate the ideas you're so patronizingly dismissing. So make your case. Present your points. But stop talking as though anyone who disagrees with you could only be doing so because they're thick.

For the record, I disagree with you. And I'm fairly confident that I'm neither 10 years old nor "a noob."

14. bodyshot

I guess I can say what I have to say in a different mannor...What exactly is your disagrement with me bro. lols btw. And for the record, guys I dont think your thick, if I have made this appearence I appologize for it. Please continue posting your views and opnions, I do enjoy seeing younger les experienced guys going through the journey, this is a brotherhood that welcoms all I am sorry to be offending that, you are my friends and I value you all.
    I hope this is ok to clear it all up, I dont know though.

15. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

We went around this mulberry bush in another thread, bodyshot. I don't think I need to rehash it here. If I can remember what that thread was, I'll provide the link, since the conversations were so similar.

16. bodyshot

Sorry Ap, im pretty staunch about my martial arts, it kinda hurts to hear the new generation say things like "mma" is "bar nnone" the greatist martial art ever. I mean what about seeing six year old Shaolin kids performing acrobatic Kata, or seeing a group of traditional swords men all mone together, arnt those wonderous martial arts specticals too.

17. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Sure, but you're complaining that people on an internet discussion forum don't share your opinion. That's all this is. You have an opinion. Others have differing opinions. If a discussion forum is going to work, there has to be room for people to hold differing opinions without it being cause for derision and ridicule. Nobody is a 10-year-old just because they don't adhere to your preconceived notion of what's what.

If you want to debate, that's great. That's part of what we're here for. But if it truly hurts you to hear things you disagree with, then a discussion forum promises to be an excrutiating experience.

I think you're fixating on the wrong things.

18. raaeoh

On topic. I know of several folks who have never trained anything other than mma. A couple of them are really good. 1 of which actually plans on opening his own gym in a few years and only teaching an mma style. I am sure he us not the only one.
    It makes perfect sense to me that there will be whole generations of fighters who will have only trained mma style training and no other tma period.
    Of course this whole mma thing could blow over, and every one will start training for ninja warrior full contact combat course free running instead.

19. bodyshot

Well theres alway a maybe that it could blow over but imo I think its here to stay whuch is fine, in fact its a good thing I think. I have no problem with someone saying that they are opening a mixed martial arts gym with no TMA experience, in fact I train at a very similar place, I think its a great Idea.

20. raaeoh

Bodyshot So then you agree that mma could someday be considered a martial art on its own, and have a traceable lineage?