MMA as sport only ?

Discussion in 'MMA' started by fakii, May 15, 2010.

1. fakii

fakii Valued Member

HI all,
    My question is that MMA is good in ring side but is mma really working on streets in term of selfdefense where you have no refeere and no rules all you have to do is servive at any cost do you guys really think mma is good enough for survive on streets because in my opnion in real fights specially on streets or roads you can't through submissions like you to inside the ring or i am wrong and mma is great in sports entertainment as well as in selfdefense ??

2. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Umm... did you just arrive in a time machine from like 1983?

Seriously... are you watching MMA fights by braille...?!?!?

Are MMA fights only subs?

What do you think would happen is someone slammed on an armbar full blow?

How long would that take to incapacitate someone?

Do you think someone would NOT headspike someone who attacked them in the street if they had half the chance?

You think they train and fight MMA and yet wouldn't throw a right cross to the chin or a kick to the nutsack?

wow... just wow. I've had to add a special tag to this thread just for you.... time-machine-late-arrival.

Last edited: May 15, 2010
  3. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

I think the guys are submitting so that something doesn't get broken..good fight stopper THAT.

4. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

Most MMA fighters work in, or have worked in some kind of security. Just sayin'

5. righty

righty Valued Member

I'd recommend somewhere that teaches full stops.

6. slipthejab

lolercoaster

7. fakii

fakii Valued Member

lolx that was a normal question but it lookes like i hit your weak point !
    man why you are getting all hyper i don't have any idea about mma thats why i am asking i have seen many fights i admit those mma men are all well trained and in very good form but in a secure atmosphere noone is kicking there balls, there is a refree and there is a damn whole medical team for emergancy so chill man thats the difference i was asking if you don't like the thread or my question just leave the thread. You don't have to tag my thread thanks for your hard work Mr. time machine .

8. slipthejab

lol... yeah I have a weak point for assnine questions that have been done to death since 1983. :rolleyes:

about as hyper as a slug.

hmm... so why not watch some? Plenty of it out there for free. YouTube has tons. Get informed... get amongst it son.

hmm... so that means because they are fighting under a rule set in a sporting event that there is no carry over to a real world conflict?

fail.

lol... seriously... you posted a thread with a question that is dead horse number one. There are any number of fights out there on YouTube with people with even a tad of MMA experience and you'll see they don't try to wait for a ref to jump in and call fouls.

:rolleyes:

seriously.

9. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Not much I can add to Slip really and his post made me chuckle but just to re-iterate Fakii there are refs, rules and a medical team because its a sport. Those exist in any contact sport but that in no way means boxers or thai kickboxers cant beat the living crap out of someone outside of their ring.
    This is how i look at it: MMA fighters train for one simple reason and that is to fight against a fully resisting opponent who has every intention of kicking their ass and knocking them out those skills translate very well into the real world. If you take up mma you wont be learning eye gouges or crotch shots (but if you need to be taught those then I recommend living in a bubble and NEVER getting in a fight) but you will be taught how to fight another person and how to put them out.

10. ColaMike

ColaMike Valued Member

MMA is a sport, the fighting styles that go into it are well... real.

Is that what you mean?

11. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

this is like the 4th thread in 3 days to ask questions like this You do Muay thai and kickboxing those are competitive sports , would they help you if you were attacked on the street ?

Last edited: May 15, 2010
  12. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

MMA is a sport. There's no two ways around it. There are rules, and the rules help prevent permanent injury or death. If the fighters had to routinely spend months rehabbing broken limbs or surgery on elbows and shoulders after every fight, we'd have a very shallow pool of competitors. Unless we borrow from Rome's history, start taking slaves from conquered armies and have occasional fights to the death.

But for now, MMA is a sport. MMA training exclusively has so much to offer for self defense. Conditioning, reliable skills at all ranges of combat and familiarity managing the shock and adrenaline of combat.

Add some situational awareness, an absence of douchebaggery and a dose of common sense and I'd pick the MMA guy over just about anyone.

13. slipthejab

BINGO!!! The last sentence in Steve's post sums it up nicely.

14. callsignfuzzy

callsignfuzzy Is not a number!

"My question is that MMA is good in ring side but is mma really working on streets in term of selfdefense where you have no refeere"

A few points:

-this question has been done to death. Really, it's been done so much that "beating a dead horse" isn't even a good expression for it anymore. We're, in fact, flogging an undead horse-like creature. No disrespect, but searching through some old threads would have probably told you all you need to know about this.

-"MMA" is not a martial art. MMA is a training and competitive format, though arguably there are "MMA styles" like Shooto, Gaidojitsu, Combat Submission Wrestling, and others. But in most cases, MMA fighters train in two or more martial arts concurrently, usually a combination of the following: boxing, Muay Thai, karate, kickboxing, Taekwondo, Judo, Western amateur wrestling, shoot/Catch wrestling, Sambo, or Brazilian Jiujitsu. Most of the MMA gyms teach that way, too. You get grappling classes and striking classes, then a fight team training session or MMA training session where you're taught to combine the elements you've learned in those other classes.

-An easy way to get you to think about this is, "[martial art X] is good for the dojo/kwoon, but what about the street, where you're not wearing your martial arts uniform and there's no sensei/sifu around?" Street fights are always different from martial arts training, no matter how realistic your training is.

"do you guys really think mma is good enough for survive on streets"

Well, it's not MMA that's "good" or "bad" enough, is it? It's the person who's using the techniques that's under attack. And I'd say that yes, learning how to kick, punch, clinch fight, throw, lock, choke, and ground fight is a good way to prepare for a no-rules engagement.

"in my opnion in real fights specially on streets or roads you can't through submissions like you to inside the ring"

Well, you can "through submissions" (I'm not really sure what you're saying, because that phrase doesn't make sense). Speaking from a purely functional standpoint, anything you can pull off in a ring, you should be able to pull off outside of it, because in the ring you're facing someone who's resisting you by trying to knock you out, take you to the ground, or twist your limbs until you quit. It may not be the best option from a strategic stand point, but an arm bar doesn't suddenly stop working because you've changed venues.

As well, you seem to be assuming that MMA consists only, or primarily, of submissions. This is far from the case. Statistically, we see fewer submission holds than finishes by strikes (standing or on the ground) or matches that go to decission. And this is why your statement seems antiquated. MMA has long since had a number of good strikers, like Mirko Crocop, Jens Pulver, Maurice Smith, Pat Miletich, Anderson Silva, Wanderlei Silva, Igor Vovchanchyn, Quinton Jackson, "Shogun" Rua, Cung Le, Jose Aldo, Chuck Liddell, Lyoto Machida, Duane Ludwig, Spencer Fisher, Melvin Manhoef, Paul Daley, Marcus Davis, and more. The thing is, they all study grappling systems as well (some more than others) because they have to be prepared for any eventuallity in an MMA fight.

Yes, MMA is a sport with rules, but every other martial art I've seen also has safety guidelines that limit how realistic they can be. Ideally, MMA training, which consists of learning striking and grappling while on the feet, in a clinch, and on the ground would constitute 85-90% of any self-defense program I'd endorse. The biggest change that needs to be made is one of strategy, not technique.

15. pmosiun

pmosiun Valued Member

The rules are there to protect you. If your opponent are winning, the rules are there to prevent you from being maim or killed. If you can't even beat your opponent with rules, what makes you think you can beat them without rules?

16. Omicron

Omicron is around.

Do you really think an MMAist who can beat another person into submission inside the ring would suddenly lose that ability if you transplanted him and put him out on the street?

Please.

17. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

But what about the hypodermic needles, shards of glass, and lava coursing through the mean streets of an average city? Or the mob of pitchfork carrying, torch waving rioters standing by just looking for a chance to gang up? Can an MMAist beat them ALL up? I think not. :eek: :)

18. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

I dunno I think Fedor would give it a pretty good shot

19. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Ya'll have got it wrong.

The only style that wins on the str33t is Rex Kwon Do.

20. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

yes but remember rex kwon do was developed in over two seasons worth of fights in the octagon, thus creating the ultimate balance between sport and traditional martial art :p