MMA and India - good things are brewing!

Discussion in 'MMA' started by slipthejab, Jan 26, 2006.

1. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

MMA and India - good things are brewing!!! + Indian Clubs

WOW!!!
    This could be interesting to see. India doesn't get much representation in the MA world... but they have an amazing and lengthy tradition of grappling and wrestling. The rest of the world was given a look at the power and technique of the Pahelwan's... Indian wrestlers around the turn of the century when famed Indian wrestlers like The Great Gama and Tiger Daula took on many of the top names in western wrestling and beat them! It will be interesting to see what they bring to the table in terms of MMA. I suspect they will eventually put out some real contendors!

I'll see if I can upload any clips of this event after it happens.:D

Note: This event is an MMA rules event - it does not related to the choreographed (fake) wrestling event put on by the WCW in America. Thankfully. :D

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 26, 2006
  2. slipthejab

Here is one of the greats of all time greats Indian wrestling:
    The Great Gama! circa 1916

Attached Files:

3. slipthejab

and another incredibly powerful Pahelwan the insanely strong Tiger Daula

Attached Files:

4. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

That’s some interesting stuff Slip. I have recently come across a few schools teaching traditional Indian MA’s in the UK, I hear good things.

Any idea what that training tool is the great Gama is holding in that pic, and how and what its used for?

5. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

the first ever clubbell

6. slipthejab

That is one of the many versions of an Indian Club. Iamraisen is correct these go back to time immemorial in India and Pakistan. They come in many shapes and sizes from something the size of a rolling pin to some that are just about as large as a grown man! I posted a clip recently of Indian wrestlers in Northern India training with them using powerful and dynamic movements. Brilliant stuff.

The whole ClubBell TM thing is a johnny come lately in terms of the Indian clubs fad... not the picture below... :D

Attached Files:

7. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

LOL.. yeah, that’s what first came to mind. I've seen Iranian traditional wrestlers using something similar, basically a really thick clubell, similar methods as to what S. Sonnon promotes. That thing great Gama is holding is a bit elaborate though... :confused:

Cheers Slip. You probably came across this as well:

http://ejmas.com/jalt/jaltart_singh_0600.htm

interesting read.

8. slipthejab

LOL!:D

Great minds think alike!

Yeah I often you the EJMAS as a source for info - especially in regards to historical issues. They have some amazing stuff on there. All too much to read... lol... if that's possible.

Here are some modern day clubs that you can order.. they look sweet.

http://www.woodenswords.com/WMA/indian_club.htm

Attached Files:

9. slipthejab

And here is more...

http://www.atomicathletic.com/store/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=CLUB1

though the thing I often dislike is that you get so many trying to give a very simple training tool the hard sell with an outrageous price tag. Surely any Indian wrestler would laugh themselves silly if they saw what westerner's were willing to pay for a simple training instrument like an Indian club. :p

and I don't want to be laughed at by Indian wrestlers. :cry:

Attached Files:

10. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

Yeah mate, I hear you. The prices for non-western training tools in the west are quite ridiculous. Especially considering the simplicity of most designs. I think if these Indian clubs caught on quite well in the UK or anywhere in the west for that matter, one could make a real killing importing them from India, I’m sure the cheap labour and material costs there would make transporting them quite easy.

11. slipthejab

Yeah the whole Clubbells thing is exactly that... a take off on the originals but in a hard sell package and with the slick marketing that western consumers get rammed down their throats. Ugghhh.

Here is another interesting read on the Indian Clubs... in off all places... lol... The New England Journal of Antiques. :D

http://www.antiquesjournal.com/Pages04/archives/indianclubs.html

and here is a short gif clip of some Indian clubs - these ones are absolutely minute by comparison to many of the Indian clubs I've seen used by Indian wrestlers... in fact at one point the use a single massive club... a massive compound type movement is used to wield it around in large dynamic circular motions... I'll try to repost the clip here in this thread if I can find it.

Attached Files:

12. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

didnt you know!?! all martial arts come from India! :p

13. slipthejab

Attached Files:

14. slipthejab

And here are the plans that can save you some coin....:D

Print out and take down to your local wood shop and have them turn you up some from a heavy wood.

Attached Files:

15. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

Slip, your enthusiasm and vast information sources are quite commendable.

I now feel like I need to leave work right now and get myself a club of some sort.. or perhaps start swinging the water cooler bottle around.. :D

16. slipthejab

LOL!:D

Yeah it's no wonder I'm so easily side tracked... let's see

I stopped off for a cup of coffee and to have a quick gander at MAP... an hour and a half later I know more about Indian Clubs than I ever thought possible... I am now eyeing the water cooler bottle myself. :D

Here is some serious Old School!!!
    Check out the barbell! and look at those massive ancient dumbbell of sorts!:D

Attached Files:

• ic02.jpg
      ic02.jpg
      File size:
      41.1 KB
      Views:
  17. slipthejab

And here is probably one of the funniest clips... LOL!:D

A clip made in 1904 by none other than Thomas Edison of the lightbulb fame! :eek:

http://www.physicalculturesupply.com/about.php

Imagine the number of black eyes and bumped heads that took place during the practice for this presentation with these kids. ROTFLMAO!!!!

18. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

LOL… those kids were pretty hardcore… good way to keep kids of drugs too.. I don’t think many stoned kids could manage that when the are high… self inflicted corporal punishment comes to mind..

19. slipthejab

Attached Files:

20. Ryo452

Ryo452 Valued Member

Wow, Pat Miletich trains with Indian Clubs. Mabe that's his secret training technique for turning out such good fighters. :D