MMA Advice

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Pretty In Pink, Jan 3, 2015.

1. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

It's my thread and I can cry if I want to mom!

2. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

3. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Knuckleheads. :D

(Please don't ban me)

Some decent advice there but I think really the concept of the thread should get more expansion rather than just do this do that until you're not poor. For the price of Boxing you can get a Muay Thai or Kickboxing class if you shop around. Let's not throw Judo out of the equasion either.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
  4. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

It was a reply to aaradia more than anything else. The little bro hug conversation was very sweet

5. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Ok constructive time here, take it for what its worth
    If you can find a Thai club for the cost of an boxing gym id suggest doing that, reasoning is as follows
    The single biggest aspect to amateur MMA as far as I can see is the clinch and dominating here, MMA cages are relatively small (outside the big orgs), and the gloves in amateur MMA relatively large, which means you aren’t taking the guy out quickly and it will hit the clinch either out in the open or against the cage
    Boxing doesn’t teach enough clinch work, and judo works at a different range standing due to the gi and the fact there is no striking, although the ground work is I feel very good for MMA, emphasis on hold downs and arm bars is a good thing for your MMA ground game (so there is potentially a large hole in your stand up game if you go the boxing and judo route)
    A good Thai club will not only teach neck clinch and striking but the full array of Plum (clinch skills) including head control, underhooks, bodylocks, unbalancing and sweeps)
    if you learn this its relatively easy to adapt your judo game to suit this enviroment

6. FunnyBadger

FunnyBadger I love food :)

I don't know much about mma gloves but are they as large as boxing gloves? It's perfectly possible to KO someone whilst wearing boxing gloves so unless mma gloves are larger and more padded I'd think it still possible to get KO by boxing in mma. It might not be very likely/easy to achieve but logically there is not reason it can't happen.

7. icefield

icefield Valued Member

knock outs can and do happen, my point was it wont be as quick as with 4oz gloves you see in the pro ranks
    Most MMA gloves in England in Amateur ranks are 6 or 8 (some i think are 10) oz, whilst a knock out or down can happen it is more down to a combination of shots as in boxing, with small 4 oz MMA gloves in the pro ranks a one shot knock out is easier. In a small cage (some of the guys i trained with fought in 18 and even 16 feet cages, one step and you are in contract with your opponent lol) by the time a combination has landed you can be clinched up and controlled, and unlike in boxing once the clinch happens you wont get broken up by the ref

8. bodyshot

bodyshot Brown Belt Zanshin Karate

Hey for real young man you seem like a real stand up cat, keep up the hard work you have the fire it takes to forge yourself into a champion. I've seen your stuff it looks good bro.

9. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

I'd look for the competitions and backtrack from them. (Not sure how that would work for boxing, never tried to find one) There's plenty of raw boxing clubs, especially in poorer areas. Don't think they'll all heavily advertise on the internet. Great for students as the live in horrible places

10. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

i rolled with chadderz and his brother a few times (the dynamic duo) and my arms havent felt the same since :p

helps that he's one of the nicest folks ive met too

11. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

i find some of the old dirty clubs through the ABC website but they british sport websites rarely get updated.

my local boxing club (they partnered with bjj classes) is in the top floor of a garage in an area full of demolished factories and meat lockers. feel like im in rocky whenever i walk in.

12. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

I believe there's a local boxing club a mile away from me I a church hall I think? & in Wales in an ex village hall. Might of been a scout hut/football club?? They're everywhere :) I've a big mouth, I find things out :)
    I'd sign hunt in an industrial area