Mixed martial arts fighters stop robbery of L.A. motel

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by nekoashi, Nov 5, 2011.

1. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

not wallid ismail.

he refused to tap saying that a man could choke him out or break his arm but he would never tap.

then carlson proved that tapping is good by rolled him and kept bringing him in and out of consciousness until wallid could take it no more and learnt that tapping was good. backing down was good.

as they say in bjj: tapping is learning.

you tap not because you dont want your arm broken but because you know when you tap you have learnt something, that something could be the breaking point of your arm or that the post on an internet forum is quite valid.

i think the dilemma your having about tapping out now is much like Wallid's

2. hughesa

hughesa Valued Member

I think you are comparing backing down in an argument to tapping (backing down) in a BJJ fight. Bad analogy. Tapping in BJJ is not the same as admitting you were wrong and the other person right in an argument. Making someone tapout is not the same as changing that persons views.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2011
  3. Mangosteen

you miss the point.
    wallid refused to tap because of his pride and his views the tapping made him look inferior and less like a tough man just as you have argued.

you refuse to back down and accept other view points exist in a minor argument that will really lead to no definite conclusions.

you've become an example of yourself

4. Mangosteen

AH DUBBLEH POST!

Last edited: Nov 13, 2011
  5. hughesa

hughesa Valued Member

6. hughesa

hughesa Valued Member

I am out of here. I hope I have not offended anyone (too much). I am done with these internet forums. Just a waste of time. Why we waste this one life on these or even the internet or even watching TV I do not know. I am trying to stay away from these things but it is too hard. The ego does not allow it at the moment. Bye.

7. Oddsbodskins

Oddsbodskins Troll hunter 2nd Class

BWWWWAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

8. Mangosteen

actually this entire argument is offtopic if you wanna get technical.

you mentioned pride earlier and pride something that prevents someone accepting other peoples points of views and willingness to change.

if we get back to the topic its about the video. and i think what the guys did was perfectly valid. they prevented a crime. however they could have been srsly hurt. but if they arent bothered with their lives, why should we be?

9. hughesa

hughesa Valued Member

Ok I'm back (that did not last long). People tapping out of BJJ move is not the same as people changing their views in an argument. And in BJJ they tapout (change their views, if that is what you want to call it) because they are forced too, because they are faced with the threat of physical pain. In a verbal disagreement (especially over an internet forum) you are not faced with the threat of someone putting you to sleep or breaking your arm. See how yours was not a good analogy now? Probably not. And why is that? It goes back to exactly what I have been saying. It is very hard to change peoples views. Even when they realise they are wrong.

10. Mangosteen

i agree that people dont wanna back down even when they're wrong but srsly.
    in BJJ you tap out because you admit defeat. you dont tap out to prove that the other person couldnt get you to tap out, like gracies against Saku or helio against kimura.
    they had pride and the pride was unshattered because they refused to tap out. like people refusing to back out of an argument even when they realise they are wrong.

and its a bit of both. some people change their views when they're wrong, some people dont.
    some people tap when they're beat, some people dont.

heck if we never admitted we we're wrong we'd never learn a damn thing as children!

11. hughesa

hughesa Valued Member

My argument is that we/you/I cannot change people when involved in an argument. As an example of what I mean: You are trying to convince me of this BJJ analogy. I am trying to convince you it is rubbish. We are both convinced we are right and the other is wrong. None of us are succeeding. Even if the other (myself or you) realises they are wrong, they are not going to back down now and admit it so, otherwise all that arguing and defending of the illusory self would have been for nothing. This is what I mean when I say 'you' cannot change people. The saying in full is 'you cannot change people so don't bother trying'. It basically means, if you are arguing your point and that person does not agree with what you are saying and has conflicting views, you are totally wasting your time trying to get them to change their viewpoint.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  12. Mangosteen

what?

as i said. some people let go of their pride and back down, others dont.

nothing is definite. thats science

13. hughesa

hughesa Valued Member

edit: deleted

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  14. OwlMAtt

OwlMAtt Armed and Scrupulous

Went looking for the last page that wasn't dominated by Hughesa trying to take on the world; it's page 1. From page 1:
    I think this is one of the things that got me into aikido (and now I'm looking into BJJ, too) in the first place: the capacity to restrain rather than just hitting. I work at a school for students with special needs, so when I'm in a violent situation, it's usually an autistic or disturbed child going nuts. He's still my student and his safety is still my responsibility; I can't just knock him out.

15. Mangosteen

I do BJJ, Judo and wrestling but aikido is something i want to learn.

everything i learn so far is aimed competitively so we always engage.
    if he comes at you, you engage.
    in the way i train the other guy always ends up on the floor and most the time so do i. not greatly ideal for self defence but its a good understanding of skills like unbalancing.

aikido that seems like something that really fits well into a grapplers understanding of self defence with all the misaligning stuff.

i guess its like koyo said before - aikido is a finishing school for other MAs, its where they learn more SD stuff they can apply to their previous training, but a lot of what they learn is to change the attitude of always engaging.

16. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Commentary for this is the guy who stopped the robbery:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy8O0OLZ21c"]NoGi Worlds competitors foil armed robbery! - YouTube[/ame]