Mixed martial arts fighters stop robbery of L.A. motel

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by nekoashi, Nov 5, 2011.

1. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

You keep saying really stupid things that don't make a lot of sense, I'm allowed to disagree. It's a brilliant concept, innit? :D

2. hughesa

hughesa Valued Member

No. The one's I determine to be fine are one's the other people on here have already agreed on. It is just common sense (i.e. bullying situation). So you are wrong bud.

Anyway, I know what I know and have seen what I am talking about myself (this thread is exactly about what I am talking about - i.e. those two mma guys), you even see it in the news and there are videos everywhere. Laters.

3. Oddsbodskins

Oddsbodskins Troll hunter 2nd Class

A: Anecdote is not evidence
    B: Bruised ego is not justification for trying to thump someone
    C: Anecdote is NOT evidence. Seriously, so one guy out there behaved inappropriately. Look at how surprised I'm not.
    D: Anecdote is...ahh you get it.

This is not blackjack, and you are not the dealer, we aren't limited to only playing the one set of cards.

4. hughesa

hughesa Valued Member

Did not say it was their fault. I actually said somewhere if people are not understanding me then it may be the way I have articulated it. But then I go on to say I am wasting my time even if people did understand me (maybe they do) as it is well known that you cannot change people.

5. hughesa

hughesa Valued Member

I actually gave that anecdote as an example so maybe you would understand what I mean. It is actually a true story though. Did not say that dude was justified in hitting him but that is why he hit him. What I have said is that situation would not have happened if it was not for the martial artist getting involved. He got involved, which led to the punch, which led to him ending up in hospital. It is called Karma: Every action has a consequence.

6. Oddsbodskins

That's it? Cherry pick half a sentence and give a vague, half-cocked rebuttal?

7. hughesa

hughesa Valued Member

I answered your post. What's up?

8. Oddsbodskins

You made a sweeping generalisation about the mentality of martial artists, the anecdote appeared to be an attempt to justify that generalisation. But an anecdote is only an anecdote, and it doesn't justify very much at all.

9. Oddsbodskins

I made minimum four individual points in that post, you gave half an answer to one of them. Look I'm bored, I'm stuck in a city full of absolutely nobody that I know so I'm stuck in, or else I wouldn't be posting so much. So please, at least make it interesting :(

10. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

"Martial artist" is not a homogeneous group with uniform attitude and opinions.

Mitch

11. Mitch

Get out and train somewhere dude! There must be someone on MAP you could hook up with? Where are you?

Mitch

12. hughesa

hughesa Valued Member

Anyhow, we are both wasting our time here, as as I have mentioned before, you can't change people. It is just different viewpoints anyway. We all see the world different ways. What one person accepts as justifiable another can have the opposite view. This is the world we live in. We waste so much time on forums trying to change the other people but it does not happen (well, it is rare). All a forum argument is, I reply to you, try and refute what you said, and you do the exact same thing. We go on for hours and hours, sometimes weeks and weeks, hoping the other person would just give in to our views and back down but it does not happen. The ego of us cannot be seen to have been wrong all along. It is annihilation of self. We must keep arguing and arguing and even if it gets to a point when you either forget what it is you was arguing about or you realise you are wrong, you still keep arguing and arguing. And what do you get out of it? You waste hours and hours of your time, when that time could have been spent doing something more productive (i.e. practising your martial arts). Anhow, I see you are from Scotland. I like Scottish people (sweaty socks :)) and have a few Scottish friends from my uni days. Peace.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  13. Oddsbodskins

London, just moved. Am trying to get set up with some FMA again, but think it'll be a while before I can afford to get back into MT as well. Been interspersing this posting spree with shadowboxing and Espada y Daga forms in a poky wee short stay room :D

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  14. hughesa

hughesa Valued Member

Of course, martial artist is just a label. In any walk of life they are never all alike. You get good ones, you get bad ones. It is like when I often say that Bouncers are the p-word. I forget that there are actually some decent ones out there.

15. Oddsbodskins

Eh, works for me :D

16. Mitch

Gotta be some FMA guys on here in That London? If not I'm sure there'd be other stylists who'd welcome you along!

Mitch

17. Mitch

I've personally changed my opinions siginificantly in my time on MAP, I've learnt a lot and hopefully passed some good ideas on too. I hope you'll find people on here more open than you assume.

Mitch

18. Oddsbodskins

Yeah, at least one teacher with same organisation I was with before, just waiting to hear back from them about class times and such.

19. hughesa

hughesa Valued Member

I was speaking generally. In the majority of cases, you can't change people. You must have heard that saying before and seen the truth in it surely.

20. Mitch

In all fairness, no, you wrote specifically about posting on forums and the people in this particular conversation. So it was pretty specific, not just speaking generally. I'd have to disagree even with the latter anyway, I think people do change.

Of course, you could now argue that anecdote is not proof and turn the tables on me :), but honestly I have changed my ideas on a number of things since joining MAP, as, I think, have many others.

It's part of the reason for the strict policy on language etc that you fell foul of earlier; people tend to be more open in an environment which remains chilled and courteous. That's the hope at least :)

Mitch