Mixed martial arts fighters stop robbery of L.A. motel

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by nekoashi, Nov 5, 2011.

1. Oddsbodskins

Oddsbodskins Troll hunter 2nd Class

So you didn't read them? Neither did I to be honest. However there's these nice people that DID read them, and they point out that you're breaking them, so you can stop breaking them and go on your merry without having to memorise them. It's a wonderful system.

2. hughesa

hughesa Valued Member

I agree. We all see the world differently and all have our own views and opinions. That is fair. But seriously? What is this place. Makes me want to go and join one of those faces of death type forums, you know the ones where they post pictures of real dead bodies and the like.

3. hughesa

hughesa Valued Member

I think when the court seen pictures of the literal red of my mates face, that would be defence. But defence against what? She hit him, he hit her (the other mate kicked her off him). He never really hurt the girl. Bruising at the most. I actually pulled him off her. I am not going to get in to an argument about what is right and wrong in the eyes of the law. My original intention was just to state that too many martial artist think they are police and too many people get disproportionally hurt in the process. I just think they should stay out of things and let the police handle it. If they want to play police then go and join the police. But if they enjoy fighting so much then maybe they should join the army.

4. hughesa

hughesa Valued Member

It is not an excuse. I have told the mod I will not be doing it again. The only reason the thread got clogged up is because people have been replying (i.e. you) and I have been responding to them, and back and forth.

5. hughesa

hughesa Valued Member

Trying to be clever? I was actually trying to be funny not clever. Trying to inject a bit of humour in to this place man. I was also being very serious, as I find it quite shocking I am expected to read the TOS. Surely just a bit of common sense is needed (well that is what I thought).

Also, about the 'clever' part. I do not like smart-asses, people trying to act clever because they have a bigger vocabulary than the next person. That is not me at all.

6. hughesa

hughesa Valued Member

Yes, of course. I now understand that I am not allowed to use bad words or I could be banned. I get it. That got sorted ages ago.

7. Oddsbodskins

Oh aye, and lets be honest, my armchair commentary doesn't mean squat regarding the rights or wrongs of it. I was really hoping you'd see the connection between your mates being right, and just MAYBE other people sometimes being in the right too. You know, occasionally, mostly by accident.

8. hughesa

hughesa Valued Member

When I say 'policing the streets' I do not mean someone who goes around in a batman suit and helping old ladies with their shopping bags one minute and chasing after a mugger the next. I mean it as a sort of mental attitude. That Huerta dude did just happen to be there, that is correct. Here is what I mean about 'policing the streets' (not the best way of describing what I mean, just what came to my head). He had that mental attitude. I am a top MMA athlete, I have just seen a woman get hit, I am not going to stand there and have that, I am going to go and beat that big guy unconscious.

So a woman has just been hit by a man, so why didn't anyone else go and help her? Because they probably weren't martial artists and did not have that 'I will be a stand-in for the police at this moment' (or even 'i am the police' ) attitude.

I know it looks like you pointed out a contradiction that last bit, but what I said was, I can understand someone helping out if some guy is outnumbered (5 guys are kicking a guys head in on the floor), or begging for his life, as this sort of thing is just plain bullying and it is hard to stand back whilst that stuff is going on. But being a have-a-go hero in a robbery situation or knocking someone unconscious because they just assaulted someone (man or woman) is just plain abuse of your skills in my honest opinion and those sort of things should be left to the police to deal with. You are not the police so do not try and play the police is what these people should be told. If they want to play police, sign-up.

I am not trying to be awkward here mate. I just think some things should be left to the police, this is the best way. We tend to look at things as isolated situations but nothing happens in isolation. There is always something that led to that situation (i.e. my mate hit with heal situation). I would bet a lot that a high number of martial artists get involved in situations that do not concern them. In my opinion martial arts should be more about the spiritual side (action-meditation) and used mainly in self-defence (last resort) and should not be seen as an excuse to get involved in things that are non-your-business.

9. hughesa

hughesa Valued Member

I didn't necessarily say my mates were right. But I think even you would agree that it was not wrong or unfair or unjustified. But the main point of this example was that if martial artists had seen this, being 'defenders of the street' as they sometimes like to see themselves, may have waded in and unjustifiably put us (or anyone in that sort of situation) in hospital with permanent damage.

10. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I don't know a single martial artist who sees himself as defender of the streets and nor have I ever met one who does.

11. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I honestly don't think that mindset is prevelant in martial artists of any style, and just to give an alternative viewpoint, the bit I've highlighted would simply have been seen as decent behviour in any man not that long ago.

Mitch

12. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

You are perfectly within your rights to defend someone who is being attacked, however the Law does also allow you to stand at the side and look like a pussy. So don't feel bad because you don't have the balls to act man, just don't get on at people that do :)

13. Oddsbodskins

You're not getting it. Martial artists are not a secret vigilante club, not do we all have some closet vigilante impulses running through our veins. Just because someone is a martial artist does not mean they are going to try and utterly destroy your mates under those circumstances. What MIGHT happen, if your mates were using excessive force in their own defense, is that somebody might do what your flying kick pal did and stop things.

This is a black and white example, I have not allowed for the possibility that said martial artist would have misjudged the initial situation, nor have I allowed for the fact that they might themselves go too far, however since you seemed to completely ignore the less black and white point I was trying to make, we're stuck with this.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  14. hughesa

hughesa Valued Member

And how would you know what is going on in their heads anyway? Maybe a bad choice of words once again by me, but I mean it as a sort of mental attitude, and not literally defending the streets. It is hard to describe but I am wasting my time anyway. You can't change people, not on here, not in the world.

15. hughesa

hughesa Valued Member

You obviously have not followed what I have said.

16. hughesa

hughesa Valued Member

I do not really think you or anyone else commenting has understood what I am trying to say, but I am wasting my time anyway and I should have learned by now that you can't change people; yourself or anyone.

17. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

If NOBODY is understanding you, then how is it EVERYONE ELSES fault?Bad logic IMO.

Rephrase

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2011
  18. Oddsbodskins

You're trying to say that mostly, people shouldn't wade in to altercations laying out everyone they can, but that there are a few exceptions. And we're saying yes. But then you seem to be saying that the only right exceptions are the ones you determine to be right, and, well, we're saying not really. And then you're saying that martial artists all have a particular vigilante mindset, and we're looking among each other, shrugging our shoulders, and saying things like 'well, I'M not a vigilante, are you?' and mostly we're agreeing that we don't think we are.

And yes, you can change peoples minds, either by example, or through discussion. But repeating the same few arguments doesn't have the same effect...

19. hughesa

hughesa Valued Member

I once knew of a martial arts instructor who was drinking at a small pub. A couple were having an argument, shouting and swearing at each other. This went on for a short-while until he turned round and told them he has a banging head ache and they should shut up and take it outside (he shouted it really loud). The man did not take to kindly to this and both men began arguing. The man took a swung an ale house punch at the martial artist instructor; the man ended up in hospital with multiple injuries. What caused this? The punch? No, it was the martial artist getting involved in something that was none his business. That man done what most people would have done in his exact situation (what the martial artist done was a serious bruise to his ego).

20. hughesa

hughesa Valued Member

Why not respond the reply aimed at you instead of someone elses? As you obviously never followed the topic because you would not have wrote what you wrote about it, seen as all your issues had earlier been addressed.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2011