Missing Gradings

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Llamageddon, Jun 27, 2006.

1. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

Been a bit peeved recently. First off I'm not one of these people who wants to rush through their grades at every possible point, but I have to miss an extra grading cos I'm stuck in the north. Story as follows:

Finish first year of uni, move back to north for summer (for hopefully the last time), miss my grading (fair enough), was down there this weekend and got to train much to my delight and was told of an extra summer grading. Thing is it's going to be a logistical and economic nightmare to get from York to Swindon for half 2 on a sunday. Just can't do it. And that's really ****ed me off. I used to be a green belt (6th kyu) in Shotokan but had to stop for family reasons, I've been training hard for 7 months and know the 7th kyu syllabus inside out, and half of the 6th kyu syllabus, and have to miss another chance to regain my belt!

Not only that, because I had to rejoin an association the chief sensei is going to have to assess me. If I'm not allowed to grade to green (or whatever level I'm at by september) I'm going to be really annoyed.

I'm sure just about everyone has had a similar experience in whatever MA they do, but God damnit! I always seem to be in the wrong place at the wrong time... :bang:

Ok, rant over now.

2. Sam

Sam Absent-ish member

Dude don't worry about it, Myself and many of my club memebers have missed gradings not due to lack of the knowledge of the grade itself but wrong time wrong place scenario.
    You know you can do it, your sensei knows you can do it, so what if that path takes a bit longer to walk....more time to enjoy the scenery.

3. prowla

prowla Valued Member

Who decided there's a clock ticking?
    I've missed two gradings because my son got provisional grades and I said I wouldn't go ahead of him.
    I had 3-6 months out before and after a knee op.
    I missed a possible grading this Easter because I bent my toe in Jan/Feb (it still clicks when I move it now).
    I'm just missing another opportunity to grade because I pulled a hamstring a couple of months back, and did it again last weekend (because I tried to get back into aggressive training too quickly).
    Basically things will happen when the time is right.
    In the meanwhile, continue to work on fitness, because that is the key to every sport.
    And enjoy it!

4. Llamageddon

Cheers for the responses guys, but you know what it's like. Mucho frustrating!

And anyway, I must beat my girlfriend! ;)

5. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Grading upset...

Having just had 3 months out from training, I missed out on taking my green recently. My boyfriend did his, and am really proud of him. When I knew I would be out for a while I was really upset that he was going to be ahead of me, as I'm naturally like that, and eager to progress. However, being off training gave me chance to reflect and realise why I am actually doing martial arts, and that sorted my head out.
    Having returned this last week, and being "behind" others who used to be the same grade has made me determined to focus ,but also made me remember that gradings really aren't everything.I think in the west we place far more emphasis on results and we need markers to show to others and ourselves where we are at.
    If you focus and carry on training you will appreciate your grading even more when the time comes.

6. Llamageddon

Very true. I don't want people to get the wrong idea about me being annoyed with missing gradings and the like. It's not the be all and end all. I think the main thing is that I used to be a green belt in shotokan and I had to leave karate for certain reasons at the time. But this does mean I can work on my fitness more for now.

7. scorpiousmac

scorpiousmac Valued Member

Couldn't give a stuff about gradings personally,met many m.a's who cant measure up to their belt or couldn't put their hands up to save their lives,probably not what you wanted to hear but you've already proved your worth so dont get too frustrated eh!

8. Tom@Foresight

Tom@Foresight Valued Member

Gradings take time, not everone can make the set examination date/time, so you will just have to wait till the next time you are available. this factor is obviously de-motivating you, but try and keep training. Think that you are weel ahead, saying you know the green belt stuff too!! next grade might come faster!!

Remember good things come to those who wait!!!

Good luck for when you get there!!

TOM