miscellaneous

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by Blast, Dec 13, 2009.

1. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Kuzushi the art of ATTACKING the weak points of balance in aikido means that the posture and intent of the opponent must be broken.

Often cutting his attacking limb aside does not unbalance him enough for an effective technique.

Indeed there should be three kuzushi in a properly executed technique.

Photo one.. at the instant of musubi (contact) remember he is attempting to strike you and shall continue to do so if you simply take hold so he MUST be unbalanced with atemi.The atemi also engagaes his free hand.

Having secured control he is FURTHER unbalanced by an attack on another weak point (rather than grapple)

The technique attacks the last and final kuzushi to make the throw.Destroying the POSTURE and INTENT may be called unbalancing.

Attached Files:

• ki.gif
      ki.gif
      File size:
      63 KB
      Views:
    • k2.gif
      k2.gif
      File size:
      62.8 KB
      Views:
    • k3.gif
      k3.gif
      File size:
      68.9 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
  2. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

I can't tell how you transition between photo 1 and photo 2. I can see the footwork needed but what about the grips?

3. koyo

left hand blade strikes his attacking arm to chudan (middle area in front of my centreline) my right hand blade continues from the strike to secure the forearm. Grip like a sword and raise up the centre to jodan (high level) then cut to chudan to throw.

The whole action is done as though cutting with a sword.

4. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

Ah OK I got it, cheers.

5. Blast

Blast Valued Member

Allright, something totally different (again lol),

I came to this forum because of the 'confusion' about aikido I had. People on the internet (let's name it, youtube comments) made me question my aikido training. I wasn't doing aikido for that long back then. Occasionally, while I was looking something up about aikido, I found some rather confusing articles. So I signed up on this forum to find answers about what I should do and I was more then lucky enough that there were some kind and helpful people who actually knew what they were talking about. So I just kept training.

The confusing aspects about aikido are:

Is aikido fighting? I still don't know what to answer about this one. The correct answer doesn't seem yes to me, but simply saying no doesn't seem completely right either.

Other thing I heard a lot is that there are no strikes in aikido, no attacks either. I don't need to post this actually, because everyone here knows there are strikes in aikido, and I train with atemi in class too. However most (amateur) aikidoka just seem to try to do a technique and grapple around, although that's incorrect. Just posting this to be complete.

probably the most confusing (at least I think), is resistance in aikido. I read numerous times about no resistance in aikido, and I think every student training in the dojo I train has a different view about it. So basically, at a not-beginner level, there is usually some resistance in my training. But on the other hand, while there is resistance, there is no active resistance.

I mean, for example, one guy grabs you, you go for iriminage ura, uke will offer resistance, but (s)he isn't trying to move, to face tori with his/her front side again. This is what I think is unrealistic, because in reality people will do that (the correct answer is probably unbalance, then get behind, but this is just an example).

So, how should I, we resist?

So, reason for me to post this is the next fragment. it's apparently from an interview with O'sensei:

O Sensei: In Aikido, there is absolutely no attack. To attack means that the spirit has already lost. We adhere to the principle of absolute nonresistance, that is to say, we do not oppose the attacker. Thus, there is no opponent in Aikido. The victory in Aikido is masakatsu and agatsu; since you win over everything in accordance with the mission of heaven, you possess absolute strength.

B: Does that mean ~o no sen? (This term refers to a late response to an attack.)

O Sensei: Absolutely not. It is not a question of either sensen no sen or sen no sen. If I were to try to verbalize it I would say that you control your opponent without trying to control him. That is, the state of continuous victory. There isn't any question of winning over or losing to an opponent. In this sense, there is no opponent in Aikido. Even if you have an opponent, he becomes a part of you, a partner you control only.

source: http://www.aikidofaq.com/interviews.html

I don't understand the last part, not to mention the japanese, but that's not so important to me, I just posted the last part because it follows up with what O'sensei is saying.

Now, what do I have to think about what O'sensei is saying about no attack and no resistance?

And 1 more thing, is aikido grappling? I don't find it to be grappling, because in grappling You have time to plan out a move or something. It's not like we wrestle. but it isn't striking either. Should it be classified as a different kind of grappling?

Sorry if this looks like a random post with lots of question marks, but I wanted to post this before I took a nap. I think this pretty much sums up all the confusing things in aikido.

Blast

6. koyo

O Sensei also said that in a serious confrontation atemi is 90% of aikido. He also said aikido is a dynamic art that cuts straight through the enemy's intention to attack.

The effectiveness of aikido as a self defence art is often questioned and I agree. Pinning or throwing an oppenent is far more difficult than striking them therefor you must be a far more mature and skilled martial artist than your opponent. However there are ara waza techniques specifically so that a relative beginner can survive in a real fight.

The IDEAL of aikido is to win with the least injury to your attacker however that is entirely dependant on your skill.

There is absolutely no attack.

I shall not offer offence or threat to anyone so I may say I am at peace ..however the instant someone decides to attack HE has broken the harmony and if I am alert I shall sense this and move to subdue him even before he moves.

O Sensei also said "The enemy approaches brandishing his sword but already I am behind him." To me this speaks of awareness when you are alert to possible danger and without fear or malice move freely to subdue or avoid.

Tada shihan warned us to never train or demonstrate beyond our abilities meaning train outwith our comfort zone always striving to progress but do not attempt to embrace the ideal physical techniques until we have mastered the hard pragmatic basics.

Hope this is of some value.

NEVER question the art ALWAYS question your own standard.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2010