miscellaneous

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by Blast, Dec 13, 2009.

1. Blast

Blast Valued Member

I have some minor questions / things to dicuss, so I did not want to open multiple threads for it. So here I go:

-mindset. What should my mindset/ presence be in aikido? Should it be like all harmonious or like: whatever dares to attack me shall be devastated, annihalated, obliterated immediately? Or something in between? Or something else? I can't find the answer.

I observed the dan grades in my club and I saw something that I'm trying to mimic. It's hard to explain but I'll try: solid, immovable, but they move with ease (a contradiction, I know), training like: this is serious (not stopping them from telling a joke once in a while). This is what I see on the outside, and training this works, but, the question is, what's on the inside?

-Love. I know, there's something in another thread about this. Should my technique show love? After what I've read I don't think it should. Reason I bring this up is because a substitute teacher in my dojo says it should. he's not the main teacher, and in my dojo we study different styles, and he's a guy who prefers the softer styles, although his technique is great and we do train with resistance, according to your own level. Maybe he means no unnecessary hardness?

If this is wrong, this is probably the biggest misconception about aikido.

-Somewhere else on the aikido forum, I’ve read aikido is not a responsive art. I understand, but why do we train so much responsive things, without being told (or just me) that it’s not a responsive art? Because it’s aikido is a self defence art and we shouldn’t just attack someone without a good reason? Weapon training is probably the most obvious part of aikido in which you can grab the initiative and strike.

-opinion on what you think of his aikido (with respect to the senseis / shihans, not saying one is better than another, or at least, I don’t):
    - sugano

-shimizu

-saito

-the current doshu

That’s everything I can think of right now. There are probably more things, but I just can’t remember them right now. If I would only write down every thing that comes to my mind, I could make huge lists like these, but, training usually solves them after a certain amount of time.

2. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Mindset in aikido is called kokoro kamae (attitude of mind) like the katachi kamae (attitude of body) it should be strong and spirited. For lack of better words..brave and bold.

Do not engage in mental philosophy taking it onto the mat. let the training create your philosophy.

So your mind set on the mat should be to be sincere and strong in your training nothing more and nothing less.

Aiki is love.

Compassion and kindness are the elements we would live by. But while training techniques we must aiki wo hazuso (avoid aiki). Awase is the principle so that we can find the opponent's timing and distancing and work to destroy them so as to create effective techniques.

One shihan missing from your list is Chiba shihan and he said aikido is the CONFRONTATION of two spirits. How else can you develop powerfull and effective techniques.

The mark of a true martial artist is one with the ability to cause damage who choses not to,

Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  3. Blast

Blast Valued Member

As I expected... a great post! About the list of shihans: I wasn't trying to make a complete list of all great shihans of today, I put them here because I wanted to hear something err.. interesting about them, because sugano, shimizu and saito are the 3 main shihans we study. I wrote down the doshu since he also came to my mind. And yes, I'm really ashamed I didn't write down chiba :p.

4. Blast

Blast Valued Member

One more thing to add: what you described looks the same as what I tried to describe about the mindset.

Other thing that comes to my mind is flexibility. There are people (not many) who can take a joint lock without being in pain, people who are very flexible, you can pin them down, but they still escape. Is there anyone who has ever trained with someone like that?

Aikidokas around me have, but I haven't if you know what I mean. What to do with them, if you ever come across someone like that. Throws like koshinage and atemi seem the best.

-balance, how important is this in aikido and how do we train it. By performing technique over and over again, with special focus on standing firmly?

5. koyo

remember it is the HIPS you unbalance not simply the arm and the shoulder joint is the least flexible when you pin.

Pin the BODY not the limb.

Attached Files:

• pin.gif
      pin.gif
      File size:
      85.5 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
  6. sakumeikan

sakumeikan Valued Member

The object of Aikido training is the polishing of ones physical and spiritual being.If one adopts a mindset which is focused on the negative aspects such as dominating or crushing your partner this mindset in my opinion is contrary to aikido principles.One should endeavour to train with sincerity , with purpose and be mindful of ones partners.Your partner during a training session entrusts his /her body to you in order that you polish your technique.You do not have licence to abuse this trust.
    Too often the ego gets in the way and people get carried away.The competitive mindset creeps in and this can have a negative influence on ones development.
    A firm strong positive mind allied to a well trained body coupled with a degree of sensitivity I feel is what is needed.As koyo states having the ability to destroy does not mean one has to utilise this ability.The main element in aikido is to neutralise the
    intention /the attack of the opponent both from a physical and pyschological angle.

7. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

I pretty much agree with what koyo has said. Although I would like to add that you can look at harmony in terms of co-ordination. Which addresses you're point about balance. It's more important to be coordinated in your movements and posture when pinning someone than it is to try and be solid and immovable.

And interestingly the more co-ordination someone has the harder it seems to be to push them around. :D

8. koyo

Balance comes from SOLID BASICS
    It can never be achieved with a compliant partner.That is dancing.

9. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

I hear the foxtrot actually needs a fair degree of coordination :p

10. koyo

On physical and spiritual polishing. Like a japanese sword the student must go through the process of having the weaker elements "beaten" out and the stronger element put in. BEFORE any polishing takes place.

Too many hide behind a spiritually superior attitude that hides ineffective techniques.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  11. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

I agree. A good hard training session will do more for you than polishing ones spiritual ego.

12. koyo

Blast

You are young so concentrate on the challenges that you shall meet on the mat.

This shall give you a strong and disciplined character. That is more valuable than a "received" philosophy.

Life and experience shall dictate your philosophy and your training shall keep you on the right track.

13. Blast

Blast Valued Member

Allright, I get it, I'll stop asking questions :p.

14. koyo

Not at all. Ask away BUT always test them on the mat to find your OWN truth.

15. Blast

Blast Valued Member

Okay, other random question: opinion on a bean exercise.

The bean exersice is done by placing a bean in your open hand and make spiraling motions with it, up and down, with 1 or 2 hands (it's harder than it sounds). Ki stuff or not?

16. koyo

Ki is fighting spirit. The ONLY exercise for that is hard training.

If you want an exercise to improve the strength of your grip. Tsurugi the wringing of the hands on the hilt of a bokken during cuts.

17. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Never heard of it. But something to remember about the word Ki. It means a tone of different things. The exact meaning depends on the context. So don't get wrapped up too much with "developing ki". If your instructor starts to explain everything in terms of Ki. Push for a more exact answer.

18. Blast

Blast Valued Member

I was in a hurry when I wrote that, I meant: is it something from ki aikido, something with no martial purpose?
    Sorry for the confusion.
    Seems like nobobdy knows it, and it's prabably not important.

19. Shinkei

Shinkei Valued Member

I have never seen or heard of this before, can't see where it would fit in to my Aikido practice.

I am affraid that I am not into the mystical side of Aikido, my own view is that to improve in Aikido takes lots of practice on the mat like any other physical activity.

I do believe that the practice of Aikido is a very personal thing and we all practice for various reasons, that's why Aikido has such a broad church from Ki Aikido and all the other various flavours.

The system of Aikido I practice has a competitive eliment, the only way to perfect techniques for this format was practice, practice, practice. I don't think that rolling a bean on my hand would of helped.

With time, lots of it, if taught well your Aikido becomes subtle due to good timing, uke should not know whats happening until the technique is finished. (hard to explain in words)

Looking back at my years in Aikido, when young it would of been great to have the technical understanding I have now. Now I wished I had the body (knees) and the fitness I had back then.

20. Blast

Blast Valued Member

Speaking of a competitive element, what do you think of these vids?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NinO0vGum38"]YouTube- 合気道とテコンドーで闘ってみました Aikido VS Taekwondo[/ame]
    I don't really like this one. He uses no atemi at all :confused:.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6lravpr9GU&feature=PlayList&p=C03CE32762C4B404&index=15"]YouTube- 合気道 対 打撃 Aikido VS Striker 「合気道覇天会」 <打撃自由技>[/ame]
    I like this one more, the striker is good as well. Although, he only uses low kicks as atemi, which has little to do with aikido... or maybe atemi with hands were not allowed while doing this.

I have the feeling most aikidoka's do not consider atemi to be an integral part of aikido. As a high dan ranked sensei once said to me, there are many atemi in aikido, but most of them are hidden.

But that's probably not the reason why I didn't saw too many atemi:p.

What do you think about these videos, does it give a good image of aikido or not?