Mir/ Lesnar & UFC81 merged threads

Discussion in 'Fight Discussions' started by callsignfuzzy, Nov 7, 2007.

1. bulkathos72

bulkathos72 Valued Member

I watched a video of his training prior to the match. It said he trained for 1 year. I am not sure when the video was made though.

2. funnytiger

funnytiger Earthbender...

Seriously...

match would have ended differently =/= cheated

:rolleyes:

3. Oversoul

Oversoul Valued Member

So, match would have ended differently = Mir would still have won? Why bother saying it, then? :rolleyes:

4. funnytiger

Um... no. :confused: :rolleyes:

So what you are saying is that the only way Mir would have lost is if Brock cheated? lol

5. bulkathos72

bulkathos72 Valued Member

I would have liked to see Brock Lesnar fight Andrei Arlovski "Pit Bull".
    Brock Lesnar + Andrei Arlovski "Pit Bull" = Lesnar getting beat up.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2008
  6. sliver

sliver Work In Progress

I really don't see how the fight would have ended any differently had they not been stood back up after the two shots to the back of the head. Mir was far from panicking in that situation, he had lesner in half gaurd and was working a sweep. Had it not been stopped and stood back up, most likely Lesner would have been swept and mounted within the next thrity seconds, or at very least the position would have changed to a more neutral one. That being the case, I don't think the outcome would have been any different here, except precisely how Lesnar was submitted.

Lesnar may yet be a force in MMA's heavyweight division, he just needs to develop a competent ground game and better stand up first. As it stands today, he would never be able to compete in the top ten. Two years from now, who knows?

7. funnytiger

I disagree. Mir definitely looked panicked to me. Especially after Brock went for the take down so early in the match. I don't think anyone expected him to do that so early in the match.

Having said that, I think when most people say "the match would have ended differently" I don't think they mean that Mir would not have won. Although, I'm not so convinced that Brock was destined to lose that match, I'm just not so quick to dismiss him because he was in "professional wrestling". But the match might have gone on for at least 1 more round. Notice I said "might", lol.

A lot of people seem to be either pleasantly surprised at Lesnar's performance despite the loss or they are significantly underwhelmed. *shrug* I am the former.

8. Tom O'Brien

Tom O'Brien Valued Member

Lesnar v Mir

I picked Frank on this one but I also picked Tim. Not a bad card all-in-all.

Thanks,
    Tom

9. Pitfighter

Pitfighter Valued Member

THAT WOULD BE AWESOME!!

Looks like Arvolski is on his way out no matter what. That is total bull xx
    but he's still a top contender and had amazing speed and power in his strikes.
    On top of that he's a fantastic Sambo fighter. That would be so interesting to match up against Lesnar's 3XL gloves and a reach longer than Sylvia's coupled with Lesnar's obvious wrestling prowess.

If Arvoloski's time with the UFC is running out let's see him go out with a bang!

By the way if it happens I'm picking Arvolski hands down. I don't give Lesnar much of a chance but would still wanna see the fight.

PS Lets all flood the UFC with requests for that fight and send off Arvolski right.

10. nready

nready Verifying DMI pool....

While I think that would be a excellent fight, is Lesner already scheduled for another fight?

11. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

First off, I agree with sliver. I think Mir would have won the fight regardless of the stoppage. The same thing happened after that stop which was going on before the stop. You're not gonna GnP Mir into submission in the first round of a fight, sorry boys. Too much experience and composure there.

If sources are to be believed...

Mir got paid $85K for the fight, plus a $60K bonus for submission of the night.

Lesnar got paid $250K for the fight, and would have received a $200K bonus for winning the fight.

That disgusts me to no end that some WWE reject is pulling in that kind of cash for his first fight (yes, I know, 4X All-American NCAA wrestler, got the skills, great). It's still bs.

OT: If Arlovski is on his way out, he has no one but himself to blame. His last two fights sucked. Maybe if he spent less time living like a rock star and more time training, he wouldn't. I attended a seminar run by him. He's smart, crafty, stong and a good fighter. But what I saw at the seminar and what I saw at his last couple of fights? Dudn't even look like the same man. Which is a shame, that weight class NEEDS good solid fighters like the Pitbull.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2008
  12. Oversoul

Oversoul Valued Member

What did you see that you could possibly interpret as "panic" there? He actually looked rather composed. If anything, I'd think he looked more panicked later when Lesnar had side control.

That's the implication. The only possible outcomes were Mir winning, Lesnar winning, and neither one winning. And that last one was pretty unlikely.

Sure, it could simply mean that the match wouldn't have ended at precisely the time it did, but that much is obvious and not worth noting. Anything that happens in the course of a match can affect the EXACT outcome in some way. Who cares?

That's a fair point. There was some Brock hate simply because he's a former professional wrestler and that is unfair. Kazushi Sakuraba was a former professional wrestler. So were some other great MMA fighters. But still, Lesnar was outclassed in this match. He was thrown to the wolves, even if he wanted to be. He went straight from crushing a can (no offense to Min Soo Kim, but he'd had several fights and lost most of them very quickly) to going up against a former champion. If Brock is the real deal, and he might be, it will take more time than that to tell.

This fight went exactly how I thought it would. That's not to say I'm some sort of predicting genius or something. Quite the opposite: I went 5-4 with this event. But with this one particular fight, there were no surprises for me. I suppose if I had to lump myself into one or the other category, I'd say I was pleasantly surprised with Lesnar's performance. It doesn't look like he'll have much problem taking people down, at least...

13. Devil Hanzo

Devil Hanzo Doesn't tap to heel-hooks

I'd like to see a Brock Lesnar vs Kimbo Slice fight. Just throwing that out there. :p

14. Pitfighter

Pitfighter Valued Member

Every fighter hits slumps. Even if his last few fights sucked Arvolski deserves a chance to fight a good fight.

He picked apart Werdum, the guy who beat the uncrowned champ Gonzaga.
    He smashed Sylvia and submitted a former two-time champ. He's fast and explosive.

Does Arvolski deserve a to be outed by the UFC?

NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

An Arvolski sent out is like a dejected Pedro Rizzo, Josh Barnett, Ricco Rodriguez or even Fedor Emelianko. What does it mean? NOTHING BESIDES THE FACT THAT YOU DIDN'T PLAY BY THEUFC RULES.

15. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

I haven't seen the match myself but here is my commentary:

Lesnar went to a wrestling college or whatnot and certainly was no slacker. Seeing the ways he trains for strength and conditioning, he certainly isn't a pushover.

Chances are it was the typical first fight blues; didn't quite know what he was up to at the time.
    To be fair despite the negativity surrounding him I think he has some serious potential with a bit more work and experience. Will be interesting to see what happens!

16. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Post-fight he even admitted as much, talking about working the leg locks over and over and over. Anyone who's competed knows that it's a lot different when you train at your gym versus the comp.

I don't hate Lesnar, I just think Mir was getting the shaft from the word "go" on this one. Takes a hell of a lot of nerve to give a former champ half the payout you give some WWE reject. It was his first UFC match, no friggin way did he deserve a $250 payout with another $200K if he won. Bull. That's friggin Matt Hughes/GSP/Randy/Tito salary.

The he better wake up.. Dana White has made it pretty clear you ain't gonna survive in the UFC on your glory days.

17. Oversoul

Oversoul Valued Member

Well, personally, I was pretty disappointed with both Werdum and Arlovski in that fight. Saying that he "picked apart Werdum" seems like giving him a bit much credit. Not that he doesn't have other, better, accomplishments.