Mind in TKD

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by TkdWarrior, Oct 10, 2002.

1. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

ok i found u guys talkin too much politics(except for couple of threads) so i m try to start good thread...
    ok let's forgot all the punchin kickin lockin etc etc for a while..
    tell me do u think u train ur mind for a fight(not competition)? m not talkin about capabilities or nething like that for that matter..
    do u do any sort of drills for training mind...
    ever tried to find wat is No-Mind state? or only Kungfu guys bable about this all the time...
    keep on posting...
    try to stay away from politically correct answers and explain things rather than simple yes or no or just punch liners...

-TkdWarrior-

2. Helm

Helm New Member

I'd say when im training, im training for competitions...
    You can train for competions, you are in ur Tkd hogoo, protection, facing a similar grade..and..er..sparring.
    With padword i would guess im not training for a "situation" all im thinking about is making my kick or technique sharp, clear, fast and powerful...and thinking about how its improving, if i need to work on something, or if my fitness is ok.
    I think to train for a real life situation can only come from experience...all i can pre-recquiseit in a real life situation is that i am probably faster than my opponent, and from sparring, i am aware of distance and timing...and i can run pretty bloody fast too =D

3. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

helm u mean untill n unless u r in real fight u can't learn about it?...let's say if the oppurtunity doens't come? then would u go n pick up fights?? ...
    if the answer is yes then i would say that when u hav first time in real situation the chances of u getting killed increases....rite...??
    running fast will help u...but wat about aderaline rush? or there isn't anything like aderaline rush?....
    -TkdWarrior-

4. Helm

Helm New Member

no im saying that you cant really experience something unless you've experienced it...
    Human response and emotion is so varied that its had to tell what will and will not happen.
    All you can do (imo) is train to be fast, strong and fit...
    and in the end, i suppose, its going to be about being faster and stronger than your opponent.

5. johndoch

johndoch upurs

since i dont look for fights I dont really do any preparation for the real thing. The hardest thing is to control the adrenaline. Before a fight I just say to myself "this is it here we go", thats my mental preparation.
    Another thing you can do is analyse pre fight gestures etc. of your assailant after the fight and learn, Know your enemy.

6. Cain

Cain New Member

Hmm....for competitions I usually talk with my opponent, that makes me feel at ease with him.

As for real life I seriously would not know what to do 'cause if I talk with him he will probably say something like 'get lost you a$$hole' or 'it's time to die' - that kind of attitude will definitely will not keep me at ease trust me :D
    |Cain|

7. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

so wat do u think about the "Mind in MA"???
    is it Mind or No Mind...wat's ur preparation for real duel(not sparring)
    -TkdWarrior-

8. Cain

Cain New Member

Hmm....if you look at my signature you will probably get the answer.

Most ppl when they come in a situation like this usually think about the outcome they are really nervous and think things like 'wat will happen if that guy injures me seriously'

I prefer to keep my mind empty and just start the fight by wat seems natural. As they say 'I do not hit, my fist seeks the target all by itself '

I think your mind should be completely empty in a real situation [I don't mean hollow headed :D ]

I know u or yoda or someone else will not agree with this but it is just wat I do
    |Cain|

9. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

"I think your mind should be completely empty in a real situation [I don't mean hollow headed :D] "
    lol emptiness doesn't mean complete Void :D lol
    but i liked ur post... but my question is do u ever tried to achieve the state...any drills or any meditation techniques or any thing which helps...
    helm is quite rite about speed power etc etc but if u had aderaline rush(watever that is) either u'll stuck or kill the other person... i think nobody would like to end up like that...
    -TkdWarrior-

10. Cain

Cain New Member

No I don't perform specific exercises for mind if that's wat u mean but then as my senior partner says -

Training physically is not only about training your mind, it's also about training your spirit.
    |Cain|

11. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

hmm i see wat u gettin cain... cheers to u
    -TkdWarrior-

12. Cain

Cain New Member

Thanx buddy :)

Oh man I already reached 200????? :eek: :eek:
    |Cain|

13. Helm

Helm New Member

Hmm, i would agree that the fight can be determined before it starts, so much of it is mental.
    Self-confidence is a big part of it, adrenaline isn't anything 'mysterious', but it gets you slightly pumped, and as far as i know, adrenaline makes you react faster...as its a human instinct thing, making the blood flow faster to your muscles in preparation for running or fighting or whatever.