Military MAPERS

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by wayofthedragon, Mar 29, 2005.

?

Which Branch

1. Navy

18.2%
  2. Marines

31.8%
  3. Army

31.8%
  4. Air Force

22.7%
  5. Coast Guard

13.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. wayofthedragon

wayofthedragon The Defender

Just curious to know of all the MAPERS who is a part of any branch of the military (retired may also post:))? What branch? How does your training influence or help you as a military person if at all or how does the military benifit from your MA knowledge if at all? Why did you join the Military? Do you think it should be manditory that no matter what branch you are in or where you are all memebers of the military shold learn some form of unarmed martial art?

2. PsiCop

PsiCop Antonio gets the women...

I have never been part of the military, but I feel the martial arts still have a place there. Given, there isn't much unarmed combat in modern warfare. However, there are still benefits like learning to be aggressive at the right times and how to watch for openings in your opponent. These skills can prove useful in a military combat situation as well.

3. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

I voted army i assumed the post is for everyone not just US servicepeople and ex servicepeople. I was Royal Sigs for 6 years and have been a reservist for 14 years.

4. Satori81

Satori81 Never Forget...

I'm an ex-Marine, as most of you know.

Hand to hand combat has its place in the military, though how important that "place" ranks in comparison to other types of training is up for discussion. The chance of an enemy closing the distance is rare, and even in that case Marines always carry a back up weapon.

What really, REALLY annoys the hell out of me is when people talk about "Super Secret Military Close Combat Secrets." Hate to burst the bubble, but THERE IS NO SUPER SECRET MILITARY MARTIAL ART!

May you achieve
    Satori

5. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

But of course you wouldn't tell us if there was

6. Munen Mushin

Munen Mushin New Member

Army, 3rd Ranger Batt.

close to 5 years till my knees and back said enough.

7. Nevada_MO_Guy

Nevada_MO_Guy Missouri_Karate_Guy

U.S. Navy for 6 years.

Found myself in some unusual situation overseas. I think have some hand to hand combat knowledge would be a good thing.

The Navy doesn't stress hand to hand. The job is more about....well...doing a job. Cooking, maintenance, paperwork etc...

I started training in Wing Chun while stationed in Norfolk. Very handy for tight confined spaces.

8. Capt Ann

Capt Ann Valued Member

Well......he could tell you, but then he'd have to kill you ;)

I was USAF for a little over 7 years. Got to do some really cool stuff, but none of it lethal. (I defended America with a very sharp #2 pencil). I wasn't in any MA at that point, nor did I have any need (or time) to be involved in any MA.

Should MA be required for military members? Not really. MA will benefit a military member, just as any good fitness, education, and character development program would.

9. shootodog

shootodog restless native

air force (reserve).

shhhh! that's the secret!

10. alister

alister Huh?

Ex Royal Air Force. Took up MA when I left so as to stay in shape.

11. little lion

little lion New Member

ex- Royal Marine, MA training is not emphisied at all, it is barely tought. Thats why I left, to persue my MA more, I had to make a choice between my career and my passion.

12. mixmastersenior

mixmastersenior Valued Member

2nd Battalion 75th (Ranger), I'd have to agree with my brothers in arms.
    You have other more effective and effecient weapons to use than your hands. Hand to Hand training was taught, but only the most basic and most effective techniques. Hand to hand was used if you screwed up and let the enemy get to close of lost your weapon or such. I hear that today they teach BJJ to the regiments. Interesting.

13. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

my Dad is 1st cav division.

14. Chris_sirhC

Chris_sirhC 6th Kyu, Yoshinkan Aikido

Going on four years a member of the canadian air force. Stationed at the Canadian NORAD complex way up here in North Bay, Ont. My trade... Aerospace Telecommunications and Information Systems Technician. Basically I fix anything electronic you guys break hehe.

The martial arts... in that the military semi sorta expects its members to be in shape I say yes the martial arts definatly helps. Does it help within my trade no not really.

Unless you count scoring a perfect keylock while goofing around with a co worker twice my size one evening. That still makes me grin.

15. Slavist

Slavist New Member

I was in Army ROTC in college before tey told me I had to leave because of citizenship issues.

16. alig

alig New Member

im scared of war, navy

17. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

i'd be a bit more frightened of being on a boat in the middle of the ocean for 9 months at a time with 1000 men, then i would war. war atleast keeps you occupied. j/k
    navy is a good idea, lots of new job opportunities there that are guaranteed to keep you off the front lines.

but if you want to be treated like royalty, join the US air force.