Meditation

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Xia, Sep 27, 2003.

1. Xia

Xia Dragon of Heaven

:yeleyes: What are you supposed to see? Some people understand that it is searching for your "center". However, there has recently been and ongoing question..."What am I searching for inside myself"?

:yeleyes: I found that with enough mental effort and consentration, you mind can alter your perception of your "inner" space. (Yoda, made a good point on about how we use only 10% of our brains, but if you read that article...he clearly says that it means nothing...)This space is the center of your mind, some say if you "free your mind" you will be able to see your "Chi".

:yeleyes: The "Chi" is your energy, myself and my Sifu(Li)...have found that it is not energy but what you believe holds it. For instance I saw an egg...however it was constantly flowing with water. My Sifu on the other hand saw a sphere of energy...two intirely different perceptions of "ourselves".

:yeleyes: Can you offer any insights or opinions on this...or your own perception of what's there.

2. David

David Mostly AFK, these days

You may as well ask what the centre smells like! Seeing is one sense, visualisation one tool. In finding the centre, you are removing your attention from the things which habit keeps at the top of your mind. You should even forget the words of the question and the idea of questioning itself. Your attention will, by definition, latch onto anything going on in your head. This make it easy to know what you should be getting rid of ;)

Is that a question?

This is creative visualisation rather than perception of an actual physical object so whatever you experience is correct.

Your post is quite mixed-up in that your disticntions are blurred (physical/mental; active/observational etc).

Rgds,
    David

3. Xia

Xia Dragon of Heaven

I should try to clarify the next time I write, David I usualy like to remain on the "line", you know not being there while being there.
    I'm still getting moved around with this Language...anyway did you ever "see" any of that, or something else?

4. David

David Mostly AFK, these days

Yes.

:)

Rgds,
    David

PS I'm in Chat if you wanna... chat about it.

5. Mike Clark

Mike Clark New Member

The are many ways of meditation as there are martial arts. Some choose meditation as a de-stressing tool others as vehicle to understand them selves better or as a spiritual journey to raise their levels on consciousness.

Unless you are using visualisation techniques, then you are not meant to see any one specific thing. What you ‘see’ are subconscious symbolism. Usually best to let this pass and not dwell on them on less that is the limit of what you are seeking ie waking dreams.

Meditation can be like holding up a mirror to yourself so as to understand your true inner nature. Stopping the internal dialogue so there is no ego directing what you ought to feel, you ought to think , do, say etc. It can unearth feelings of euphoria or fear, if you concentrate on these then again you get distracted. Meditation takes a great amount of time, patience and self disciple.

I cant really comment with any degree of true experience/understanding of being able to see ones own Chi. Depends on what is meant by Chi. My perception of Chi/Ki is a blend of vitality, intention, motor mechanics and empathy. As a sensory perception you can lead your awareness around your body and produce heightened awareness and physiological changes.

I like to think of myself as an open minded sceptic, ie I am willing to learn and experience whilst at the same time wanting proof/ a sane explanation that fits in my map of my personal universe. Like the often quoted ‘we only use 10% of our minds’, says who? No psychology books I have ever read, doctors or tutors I have met have stated this as a fact. Our brain uses different areas for different functions some conscious some unconscious. The 10% thing is one of those quasi-scientific myths that abound.

Xia I think you summed meditation up very well:

What are you supposed to see? Some people understand that it is searching for your "center". However, there has recently been and ongoing question..."What am I searching for inside myself"?

Searching for something unknown, that until you find it, you wont know what you were looking for.

Regards

6. Xia

Xia Dragon of Heaven

Anyone else...I would like to know your opinions!

7. Hakko-Ryu

Hakko-Ryu New Member

i was told that aspect of breathing is also important in Meditation...There's a form of internal meditation in the Indonesian arts that specifically develops that "Chi" release of some sort. It's called Kalimasada...look it up...i'd be interested to see in what some of you think of it.

8. Jack

Jack Valued Member

You will search for "me", you will go deeper and deeper to find "myself". You will delve through your thoughts and feelings, images and imagionations in search of this "me", until you finally realise that "me" does not exist, it is the ultimate illusion of the ego. Me, my, mine, I... all words of the ego. You are not your thoughts or your feelings, so what are you? You are not your opinions or conceptions, so what are you? After you've stripped everything away, the "me" you are looking for is still not there, because, it does not objectively exist.

I understand this intellectually, but not intuitively yet. I'm no expert. But perhaps knowing that this "yearning to know myself" is simply the ego grasping onto its own existance will help you to put things in perspective.

Best of luck,
    Jack

9. Dark Blade

Dark Blade It Roundhouse time

I use a figure of eight for my breathing.
    Imagine an 8 in your torso, you breath in through the bottom right and moves to the left then around the 8.
    Give it a shot.

I don't "see" my Chi/Ki, as an sphere or as an egg or anything like that, I "see", what I feel are symbols of my feelings and drifting thoughts.
    Like often, I'll "see" my schools symbol and/or a sword (usually mine) , which I think represents a fighting spirit, and there's plenty of other stuff that I see which isn't work going into......he told me to burn things..... lol :p

as opposed to seeing my chi/ki ,I do feel my Chi strongly and the energies of others around very strongly.
    And the presence of something I can't name or really describe.

Meditation is something you can't just say "you should see this" or "one of those means this".
    It's to personalised to say that.

Anyway, best of luck!
    DB

10. Xia

Xia Dragon of Heaven

The Sacred Word:
    EGO

Man should never forget the phase, "I will it".

11. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

Ayn Rand groupie! LOL