Mayweather v Khan

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by puma, Nov 8, 2013.

1. puma

puma Valued Member

Yeah, impressive indeed. But if you listen to Amir Khan, that couldn't possibly happen to him. He is too fast for Mayweather apparently.:fight1::rolleyes: Cause Mayweather has never fought anyone with fast hands before right?:bang:Khan believes Mayweather has never seen anyone like him. Actually, I agree. He probably wouldn't have come across a fighter at that level with such a poor defense.

2. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

and poor chin to go with it :p

3. puma

puma Valued Member

Yeah.

I was thinking. Floyd has 4 fights left on his contract does he? Here is who I think he should fight:

1 - Vitali Klitschko before he retires.
    2 - Wladimir Klitschko. Floyd deserves an easy fight every now and then.
    3 - The Undertaker. He has already beaten Big Show right?
    4 - If all else fails, I'd throw in a REAL test. Borat!

I think I should be a promoter.

4. Sandninjer

Sandninjer Valued Member

Just wanted to point out that the fight between Floyd and Khan is most likely HAPPENING...

...SMDH!

Saw a video recently of Floyd where it began with him talking about Amir Khan and the possibility of them fighting. It eventually turned into him talking about it as if it's already happening. Instead of using terms denoting "possibility", he was speaking about their fight like it was already decided. Even went as far as asking British fans to come to the U.S. to watch their fight (and failed to mention "IF" they fight). Moreover, he claimed he was "impressed" by Amir Khan's last two most unimpressive wins over Carlos Molina and Julio Diaz. This is Floyd Mayweather we're talking about... and he's "impressed"? LOL!

Yeah sadly guys, this fight is happening because he knows Amir Khan has a massive fan base.

On a side note, I'm with Floyd when he says boxers shouldn't have to get hammered in the ring and end up like Muhammad Ali just to give fans what they wanna see, since boxing is still a sport, but if you're going to flaunt your undefeated record, then take the fights where you know you have the possibility of getting hammered and stop worrying ONLY about the cash.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
  5. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Wow...just...wow!

6. Sandninjer

Sandninjer Valued Member

What's funny is this is gonna be Khan's first PPV fight in the U.S.

7. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

And coincidentally his last :evil:

8. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

QFT Level 9000!!!! :D

9. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Just put me down for a 2nd round KO

10. Sandninjer

Sandninjer Valued Member

I think Mayweather's gonna showboat this a bit, being the businessman he is. If he wanted to get it done asap, I have no doubt in my mind he'd KO Khan in the first minute.

11. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

That's the only reason I'm saying 2. Khan has no jaw. Unless Mayweather isn't going to hit him for the first 5 rounds, I don't see how he can draw it out.

12. Sandninjer

Sandninjer Valued Member

I can see it. Khan CAN be fun to watch when he's not screwing up like he usually is, but when he's focused, he can be entertaining. I foresee Floyd letting that happen for a few rounds before calling it a quick night since a lot of ringside fans get frustrated when fights end right away, but he'll definitely end it with a KO when he feels like he's done showboating.

13. Saved_in_Blood

It looks like with his win that Maidana is a possible opponent. He now has a name... maybe bigger than Khan in the U.S. I can't stand Khan and he's an amateur at best if I am to be honest.

14. Sandninjer

Sandninjer Valued Member

That crossed my mind as well. Maidana is a very smart fighter and could potentially land a couple good fake out overhand hooks on Floyd when he goes back to his shoulder roll. At least, that worked on Broner and Broner is definitely not close to Mayweather's skill. But yeah I'd definitely prefer Maidana over Khan even though Khan did manage to somehow pull off a win against him.

Danny Garcia could also make sense, but most of all, I'd like to see him face Bradley (which wouldn't happen b/c of Arum, and if Arum and Floyd were able to strike a deal in the first place, then a fight with Pac would've already happened).

15. puma

puma Valued Member

Maidana-Mayweather would be a complete mismatch. Although that fake into a hook was very clever and worked against Broner, Floyd has seen it now and won't get caught with it. Certainly not time and time again like Broner.

16. Saved_in_Blood

The problem is this... I don't see Maidana as a threat to Floyd in the least, BUT, he has a punchers chance over some of the other possible guys out there. Floyd doesn't have a lot of options right now. Manny and Bradley will likely rematch, Floyd can fight neither of them because of the arum golden boy feud, Martinez was a possible fight, but without having any sort of tune up or anything... that is unlikely to happen. Other fighters who might be possible are either already with match-ups, or are not seen as much of a risk, thus people slamming Floyd for taking them.

The Maidana fight is perfect in that he would be the guy who beat the guy who fights like Floyd and the general public would eat that up. Those of us here know he has a punchers chance at best. Khan is also very lucky he wasn't stopped in the 10th rd and you could tell that many refs would have stopped that fight vs Maidana. They were keeping it going because Khan was the next big thing with roach's fighters.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
  17. Sandninjer

Sandninjer Valued Member

Well said, has the puncher's chance. It only takes one right punch to end the night mixed with good luck. Floyd's been great at giving people false hope of that possibility though. The only real threats to Floyd's legacy at this point are Pacquiao, Bradley, Martinez out of the fighters who pose the possibility of fighting him.

18. Saved_in_Blood

With manny's loss of power, he will be countered to a stoppage. He cannot box with a pure boxer and if you watch Marquez Manny 3, he was supposed to blow Marquez out of the water and KO him. However, IF Manny was using during that time and just took Marquez out, people would throw way to many questions around. On the other hand, Manny reverted back to the jab and straight left... which works well with Marquez, but it won't work with Floyd.

Martinez is awkward, but at this stage in his career, the only thing I can see that makes him somewhat of a threat is his size and is still fast, but he doesn't show a wide array of punches, nor is his defense good, but his legs are/were good, we'll have to see about that in his next fight after having a lot of knee issues.

Bradley for some reason IMO is going to be a harder fight than many think. He's quick, very awkward, throws punches from all sorts of angles... schooled Marquez just like Floyd did, showed that he can be in a dogfight if he needs to... he might get knocked down, but he does have the mentality that you will literally have to carry him out of that ring because he's not going any other way. He has a very sneaky overhand right which could reach over the shoulder roll that Floyd does so well. Bradley is strong, and he would be the most fit guy out of ANYONE Floyd has ever fought, so if Floyd hopes to get him tired... that won't happen.

Perhaps Floyd will make him a separate offer and those 2 can fight. Manny at this point just needs the money. I'm not saying he won't try to win... but he does need the money and sadly that's the story of most famous boxers throughout history that were once rich and had it all.

19. puma

puma Valued Member

I don't think fitness comes into it with Mayweather. Don't matter who you are, you're not going to be as fit as Floyd. If Bradley couldn't handle Pacquiao, which no matter what the record books say, he couldn't, then I can't see how he can compete with Mayweather. I don't think that fight would sell that well either. Bradley has had a couple of fights that were less than impressive in my opinion. I respect him, but he isn't at that sort of level I don't think.

Maidana might have a punchers chance, but then so does everyone. He is no different from say, Garcia in that respect.

I think personally Pacquiao is still the most interesting fight. None of the others can be remotely competitive in my opinion. I doubt any of them would beat Alvarez, so against Mayweather it seems a bit pointless, with the exception of Martinez. I never thought Pacquiao would beat Mayweather, and still don't. However, I think people are being a bit hard on him. I don't think he has slipped as much as some say. I think he was blown up out of all proportion around the time he fought De La Hoya and after to be some sort of superhuman, and now he hasn't stopped anyone for a while and got ko'ed himself people say he's on a downward slide. I don't think either are fair. I don't think he was ever a boxing genius, but I don't think he is done either. I say he is still fast, punches in combinations, and if anyone out of the boxers mentioned was to land something that troubled Mayweather then I would say he is the most likely.

20. Saved_in_Blood

Manny started slipping right around the time when Ariza and roach were having issues and now that he's gone, he looks very ordinary. It's not that he has slipped... it's the fact that he's not using anymore.