Mayweather to go MMA?

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Davey Bones, Dec 22, 2007.

1. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

2. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

um . . . sick?
    Radical?
    Excellent?
    Tubular?

All of the above are words I can think of to describe this prospect.

3. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

He'll get DESTROYED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. CKava

CKava Just one more thing... Supporter

I'll believe it when I see... look at Tyson vs. Sapp.

5. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

I read it earlier and couldn't post. WTF! Why would he? Hope it happens, it should make MMA so huge.

6. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

Fiver says his first few fights (IF this happens at all) Will be against tomatoe cans and stoolies because there is no way any promotion is going to run the very real risk of forking out the dough for him only to have him taken down and subbed in his first fight by some nobody with a take-down and ground game.

7. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Can't wait until he starts posting here in the BJJ section for grappling tips.

8. Yohan

I'd be surprised. You can bet he's not going to get top competition in his first fight, but your post would suggest that Floyd is anyone but one of the top fighters in the business. I really think he'll take his training seriously, and put in a good 6 months or so before competing. I think he'll go into it guns blazing and take on some decent fighters.

Lets face it, if he gets in a few good shots on, well, ANYBODY in MMA they are in trouble.

9. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

This doesn't mean dick.

I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for it to actually materialize.

Let's see if I've got this straight...
    a multi-millionaire boxer who's at the top of his game and has more money making power than entire weight divisions in MMA is going to now fight in MMA? Are you guys aware how much he made for his fight with De La Hoya? Or his fight with Hatton!?!?

Who could even afford him? :confused:
    lol.

I seriously doubt this will ever happen. The sort of paydays that Mayweather gets in boxing... aren't even heard of in MMA. Not for several fighters combined.

On top of which he'd have to get a ground game under his belt and build his chops in a pretty different fight environment. I really just don't see him going after that.

What you're seeing is HDNet/Cuban trying to get his name in the papers and generate hype. Nothing more. Even if this came straight from Mayweather's camp I wouldn't believe it. Everyone in boxing knows talk is cheap. This is no different. I wouldn't believe it until I saw Mayweather stepping through the ropes.

10. dbowles

dbowles New Member

He said after the Hatton fight thats he's bored with boxing. I could see him doing well if he took it seriously. But like slip said, talk is cheap

11. Yohan

STill though - the idea of Mayweather getting in the ring and doing some MMA is pretty awesome. Plus, the amount of money he's getting for boxing matches may be just the reason why he would do MMA. He made 50 million dollars this year, he can take a match for less than that if it's fun for him.

12. callsignfuzzy

callsignfuzzy Is not a number!

Lots of variables here:

-Mayweather really has nothing else to do in his boxing career, unless a superstar explodes on the scene in the next year or two.

-He's making more per fight than I think the combined salaries of all the fighters in the last UFC, so someone will have to front a disproportionate amount of money.

-To protect his rep, he'd probably face can after can.

-To get a bigger payday, he may have a one-off with a high-profile MMAer.

-If he's smart he'll need a least a year of grappling training to not get killed.

-He's getting old for boxing, but is still kinda young by MMA standards; time may be on his side.

Honestly, I'd like to see it happen, but I'm very skeptical that it will, of even if it does that it will be a competitive matchup.

13. Pitfighter

Pitfighter Valued Member

HUH!? You absorb more punishment in boxing cuz you can ony strike and for that matter you can only punch which is the best way to send your brain into retirement. The # of fights and punishment sustained is the biggest determinant to whether or not a fighter is over the hill, not the calendar age.

In Mayweather's case he's still in his prime in boxing and still fresh for MMA cuz he's been such a defensive wizard he hasn't sustained much damage.

But None of that matters cuz any ranked MMA fighter can kick his ass and no MMA promotion can match Mayweather's boxing paydays.

Like Slip said Talk is cheap.

14. doc97

doc97 Valued Member

There is a MMA show with Bas on HDNet. I forgot who the other commentator is, but they talked about this and the panel included Ken Shamrock and The president of the IFL. Shamrock seemed pretty pumped about the prospect. He made a good point that boxing has been around a long time and because of that has very deep pockets. If Mayweather does sign up for an MMA match, it would bring in the boxing nay-sayers and bring just that much more credibility to MMA. Could possibly bring more fans from the boxing hard core also. He would need to do a lot of cross training to get ready. Personally, I would like to see this.

15. twitch_88

twitch_88 Valued Member

hasn't anyone thought about the fact that mayweathers hands are in an absolute state after all the abuse they've taken? he may still be ok with nice boxing gloves on but if he hits someone HARD with those iddy biddy MMA gloves on I think it could be bye bye handbones

16. CKava

CKava Just one more thing... Supporter

I don't see this being much of a problem are fragile hands really a big problem for boxers?

17. Brian R. VanCis

Brian R. VanCis Valued Member

Interesting but I do not think this will happen either. More sub plot to keep your name up in the lights. If it happens though and he fights a few tomatoe cans (which could beat him in MMA) it would be interesting to see him fight somebody decent. Interesting.......

18. Elemental One

Elemental One Valued Member

I'm interested to see what would happen.

19. shift

shift Valued Member

This can't be true...He'd lose so bad. Give him to KJ noons.

20. Toddryavenger

Toddryavenger New Member

Uhh, yeah the ref isn't gonna break up the fight when his opponent starts to hold. I don't know what he is thinking, if this is true. His hand is really messed up and he has no experience, I just don't know.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2008