Mayweather an ATG

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by maressa, Feb 7, 2015.

1. maressa

maressa Banned Banned

I believe we are seeing a top 5 all time great right before our very eyes. No style gives him too much trouble. If he had fought back in the 1940s and 50s he would have retired undefeated or with only a few losses. Am I right?

2. puma

puma Valued Member

I think you might be. However, the people at that time made the path for him to tread. Without them, boxing wouldn't have developed. They didn't have the training methods of today. But straight time machine, Floyd as of now transported to 1940, 1950? He can fight any 2 of them at once. But that wouldn't be a fair assessment. Like Jesse Owens racing Bolt. Different time.

3. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

He is an all time great, no question in my mind. I started off boxing way back when and was a real boxing nerd for a long time. Boxing is to me the art of not getting hit, and Mayweather is a master of it.

People should enjoy his fights while he's still around.

4. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Floyd unfortunatley lacks a yardstick by which you can acclaim him as a GOAT, although in terms of sheer skill he is up there.

Ali had Foreman-Frazier-Norton; there were Hagler-Hearns-Leonard-Duran ; Robinson had his own tests in the form of Lamotta and Turpin.....greatness for right or wrong has adversity attached to it, and no one has been able to subject Floyd to any of it

He is also a strategist outside the ring, hence he fought Pac now rather than 5 years ago and has carefully picked certain opponents. That said he has also beaten everyone they put in front of him so is it his fault he is "that damn good" (to quote HHH)?

5. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

The real test of his GOAT status will be Amir Khan.

That was a joke.

6. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Amir Khan scratched his chin in contemplation of a Mayweather fight....he ended up taking a 9 count

7. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Khan will get his chance. He's in line just behind Mayweather's girlfriend.

8. puma

puma Valued Member

Oh! Low blow! Ha!

I hope Khan doesn't get it. Although, if it did, I hope Mayweather doesn't take him too lightly. You know what I mean? Khan is extremely talanted, but as mentioned fragile. What a terrible thing it would be if the undefeated, incredible record came crashing down to Khan, of all people. It'd be worse than Jones losing to Tarver! Although, Mayweather is far too smart to let someone like Khan give him trouble.

9. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

If he's only got one more fight in him, why fight Khan when he can rematch Pacman for 10 times as much money?

10. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Khan fasts in September for Ramadan which is likely when Floyd MayGOAT will fight.

I agree with Holy; rematch for more dollars plus prove a point.

11. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Floyd liked that

[​IMG]