Master Mundt's Enhanced Martial Arts

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Hannibal, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

You can't now, largely because he had to pull most of the content from public view when we started ripping it to pieces on here ;)

2. csoby

csoby Valued Member

I reached out the guy who wrote the letter and he has granted me permission to post it.

Mike and DELETED,
    I can appreciate wanting to take advantage of an ever increasing market such as Martial Arts. With the advent of MMA and all the exposure it has garnered over the past few years, getting into martial arts is something more and more people want to do. Getting into the martial arts and teaching the martial arts are two totally and separate entities. Martial arts are about respect, discipline, tradition, honor, and integrity. The Rapid City area along with the surrounding communities have enjoyed these aspects of the martial arts since they were first brought to this area.

It really pains me when I see such blatant disrespect for the martial arts. To claim to be a Master is one thing, but to claim to have extensive knowledge of over 15 different styles of martial arts is another. Anyone who has put in the time, dedication, blood, sweat, and tears understands it takes years and years to reach the rank of Master in just one Martial art much less 15 plus. You might not claim to be a Master in over 15 styles but that is the way it appears to the general public. Some local area instructors have visited your dojo and have came away extremely aggravated and insulted because you couldn't even tell them who your Grandmasters were or whom you learned under.

Over the past 15-20 years we have had many people like you try to do what you are doing and eventually it all comes out in the wash. We all would love to have more "genuine" dojos in the area as we are a very tight community. We have local area Masters who have trained all over the world and other instructors like myself who have trained all over the world and we know when people are "book" and "video" martial artists. They stick out like a sore thumb. Maybe you have taken some classes or attended some seminars in various different styles of martial arts but in order to be able to effectively teach them you need to put in years and years of training in just that one style.

Your website videos confirm to me this is not the case and it is quite disgraceful in my honest opinion. What it does for the area dojos is make us all look bad. If we were still in traditional times your school and your teaching prowess would have been challenged and your school shut down a long time ago. Seeing how we have become a diplomatic community that isn't an option. I hope you take this letter seriously and make the appropriate adjustments that are needed.

Chris DELETED
    Rushmore Ju-Jitsu Nidan
    *Disclaimer: This e-mail is being sent to martial artists in the surrounding area including instructors.