Mass protests & riots happening over murder by police officers

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by aaradia, May 31, 2020.

1. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Just curious if and how it is being reported over there across the pond and in other countries besides the USA? (Yes, I can Google, but I want to hear actual people I cyber-know and their perceptions.)

Live updates: George Floyd protests spread nationwide

Here is a report of what happened where I live. A few friends were/ are at this protest. I would have gone myself, except I won't go into any crowd during this pandemic. Heard the sirens and helicopters.

Face-off between La Mesa protesters, police intensifies

I am going through a lot of conflicting emotions right now. I don't condone rioting. But I also get it. Peaceful protests have been ignored. You push a population too far, people won't take it forever.

I also have to acknowledge that the Civil rights movement for my group, the GLBT+ community, was started with riots. And I wouldn't have the rights I have today without that. So...........

I am heartbroken and I am angry. I am having trouble formulating the right words for how I am feeling.

Last edited: May 31, 2020
  2. aaradia

I am watching a live Facebook feed of the Vons shopping store I go to. Rioting, windows being broken in stores in that mall. Reports of looting and fires...................Surreal.

3. Flying Crane

Flying Crane Well-Known Member

I think those cops lit a match to a lake of gasoline.

The problem with pushing people and pushing people and pushing people is that everyone has their limit. But nobody knows exactly where that limit is until it is crossed. And then it is too late to go back, it cannot be undone.

I don’t think this one can be undone. I think a line has been crossed.

David Harrison likes this.
  4. icefield

icefield Valued Member

The way it's been reported over here with regards to the riots is factual, is what's going on, the context being reported behind it is the same I'm afraid as has been reported over a number of years and such events.

It makes it seem as if institutional racism is endemic within certain states in America, as if a significant minority of not only the police but also certain demographic groups of white America view the black population as second class citizen's . To be honest it seems at times in certain areas of America it's still the 1960s
    How many times has this sort of thing happened without anything being done to the white officers in question, and I wonder if the rioting and unrest had not started would they simply have been sacked and not charged?

And this seems to be the final straw leading to mass protest, whether it will change anything with the current occupant of the White House seeing to be the poster boy for ignorant arrogant hillbilly white America is anyone's guess

axelb, David Harrison and ned like this.
  5. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Its quite hard to answer this without being seen as a crazy political person.

But the bottom layer of the states has been overly pressurised for years, add in a pandemic, virtually no government support, a militarised police, and the overt class/racial issues that Trump has preyed upon, and it's just going to be a tinder box, it's not like there hasn't been plenty of non violent protests before either.

It will be interesting how this effects your election later this year, it might make the property owning classes back trump, which I feel would be a mistake for everyone involved.

On a side note, Killer Mike is a hell of an orator:

Morik, David Harrison and ned like this.
  6. Dead_pool

7. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

It's the main thing on the news right now. Seen some pretty bad things happening.

What hurts the most is that the older I get the more dismayed I am at people and their lack of compassion for others. The world is so politicised answer polarised that there is not a single major thing everyone can agree with down to wearing masks to protect each other (covid I mean).

Dead_pool likes this.
  8. Dead_pool

^ some of that is down to how social media treats binary choices, I don't know how to fix it, unless it's to switch everyone back to MySpace, or IQ check elections.

I do think running elections through social media (trump and Brexit) and allowing capital (citizens united court case) to have more power in elections then people (the electorial college) is a recipe for diverseness, and generally poor government.

9. ned

ned Valued Member

Not much i can add to the previous contributions, what has changed in the last 50 years ?

Frank Zappa wrote this song in the sixties, addressing exaxtly the same issues

David Harrison and Dead_pool like this.
  10. Dead_pool

Last edited: May 31, 2020
  11. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

Unfortunately, he’s probably going to try and use it as justification to call in the army on a large scale.

Dead_pool likes this.
  12. Dead_pool

13. Dead_pool

I always thought the army wasn't allowed to be used like that "normally"?

FB_IMG_1590906695803.jpg

axelb likes this.
  14. bassai

If they could be construed to be attacking the president directly by protesting at the whitehouse, I can see him trying to push something through.

15. Dead_pool

Thanks God the republican party are the party of freedom of speech and individual rights and would never let an authoritarian dictator get away with that......

Oh wait a second.....

Oh dear.

16. bassai

Any way you want to view it , there is a curfew in place which they are enforcing , I agree it’s heavy handed , but , I believe they’re acting in accordance to local law.

Dead_pool likes this.
  17. bassai

Yeah , it does feel like something of a watershed moment for the current administration , but how many times have we all thought that before ?

Dead_pool likes this.
  18. Dead_pool

Land of the free, and yet freely applies curfews that allow residents to be shot at on their own land (I assume with less then lethal projectiles).

This is an interesting read:

Curfew - Wikipedia

19. aaradia

Now there is the possibility that this is being fueled by people using this for their own agendas. White supremacists and others on the far right, and maybe the far left.

The local Black Lives Matter FB page is expressing a lot of anger at their protests being usurped. Before today's protests started, there was a fake protest being planned by local white supremacists and people were being warned to not go to that one.

Waiting for more evidence to come out, but I have to say it seems like many in my city (La Mesa, Ca) are thinking it was outsiders. A lot are saying the protesters during the day was largely not the same crowd as those at night doing the violence.

Far-Right Infiltrators and Agitators in George Floyd Protests: Indicators of White Supremacists

Authorities suspect white supremacists and far-left extremists are behind violence at protests

David Harrison likes this.
  20. bassai

Last night in Small heath,Hobb Moor Rd. Birmingham
    As a comparison , this was Small Heath in Brum a couple of nights ago

I’ll have a look.