Martial training advice

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Bluecollar, Nov 20, 2019.

1. Bluecollar

Bluecollar New Member

Hey all,

Bit of background, I've got rudimentary skills in boxing, shotokan karate and kickboxing. I loved doing all of this. My issue is, as you may guess by my username, I work long shifts (4 on 4 off) and due to this I cannot keep up regular class schedules.
    So after quitting my third club in as many years just last night, I have finally put my blackbelt dream to rest. It's never going to happen. It kills me but life is unfair.
    My only real hope to train now is in short bursts, like day seminars.

What's your opinion on them? Can one learn anything from such a short period of instruction?

Cheers.

axelb likes this.
  2. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

It sounds like you need a club that's open multiple days of the week, have you thought about training at a MMA/ BJJ gym, many are open 7 days a week.

axelb likes this.
  3. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Yeah, if you can only train for 4 days of the week at my gym you'd get MINIMUM 8 hours of bjj. That's including the one class on Sunday and no extra training with other folk. Bjj might be right up your street my friend. And you can spar in your own time too with others at the gym (depending on the gym culture).

axelb, Dead_pool and Bluecollar like this.
  4. Bluecollar

Bluecollar New Member

Yeah, I'm thinking that might be a my only realistic option. Although groundfighting is not my thing.

Monkey_Magic and Dead_pool like this.
  5. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Most MMA gyms will have a good standup art as well, like Muay Thai.

axelb, Dead_pool and Bluecollar like this.
  6. Dead_pool

Most MMA gyms have a lot of striking and wrestling classes too, we have striking on its own or striking in MMA every day of the week, Monday to Friday.

Bluecollar likes this.
  7. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

I know a lot of shift workers at my BJJ gym. There's plenty of option to get the training in, also they have options elsewhere when they are travelling as there is quite a lot of BJJ clubs in my region that have a big schedule.

I've seen a few boxing gyms around, but MMA sounds like a better fit if you're not into the ground work - more striking options.

where are you located if you don't mind me asking? We might be able to highlight some places to fit with your criteria?

Dead_pool likes this.
  8. Bluecollar

Bluecollar New Member

Thanks man.

I'm based in North East Scotland. Well will be in the next week or so.

Pretty In Pink likes this.
  9. Pretty In Pink

Few good places man, how far north east? Like a city or something?

EDIT: If you'd rather remain vague I can just throw out the places I know from Edinburgh all the way up to Dundee and Perth.

Bluecollar likes this.
  10. Bluecollar

Bluecollar New Member

Actually Aberdeen will be my major immediate hub. I will be within a half hour* drive of that place.

*On a good night. Been told the roads get pretty backed up :)

Dead_pool likes this.
  11. Pretty In Pink

https://www.aberdeencombatcentre.com/

There's also Highland Martial arts Centre (HMAC).

BJJ community in Scotland is very strong and everyone knows each other. I strongly recommend giving it a try and forgetting anything you might know about fighting.

ACC also has striking classes. Muay Thai and boxing classes.

Dead_pool and Bluecollar like this.
  12. Bluecollar

Bluecollar New Member

I'll look into it, cheers

13. Dead_pool

Bluecollar likes this.
  14. Bluecollar

Bluecollar New Member

Cheers guys. Really glad I signed up to this site.

axelb, Monkey_Magic and Dead_pool like this.