Martial arts shoes

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by waya, Feb 26, 2002.

1. waya

waya Valued Member

I know that shoes are worn alot in TKD, I wear them myself. I have tried several different brands but I LOVE the new Discipline shoes. It's like wearing a Cadillac on my feet LOL.

2. Chazz

Chazz Keepin it kickin TKD style

I dont know about TKD shoes. When we enter our dojon we take our shoes off.

-Chazz

3. waya

waya Valued Member

I got mine initially for demos. They are only worn during a demo or training, never anywhere else like on the street. The place we train at now has a hard tile floor (talk about hard on feet lol) so we wear them all the time. I had never really paid them any attention until I got involved in TKD and half the school had them lol.

4. Chazz

I love working out on hard floor. Good conditioning for the feet. All the tournaments that we go to are on them.

-Chazz

5. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Doing a demo on tarmac with bare feet in heavy rain is fun. Painful though.

6. Chazz

That is true. Ive done that many times

7. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Your both nuts then!

I've woren mat shoes for 11years, but it was only 4years ago when I started karate that I appretiated the conditioning your feet get stamping them on a wooden floor for 3hrs at a time.

Anybody got any shoe preferances, cause I've only ever worn the Blitz and Macho black student shoes?

Thanx

8. waya

waya Valued Member

Discipline shoes are NICE. I got a pair of the low tops and have twice the support I had in anything else, and they are alot more comfortable.

Rob

9. SaiMaster

SaiMaster New Member

Thanks for the input about shoes. I wear mine during class due to a heel spur. I have been thinking about the new discipline shoes for a while. Having before only worn pine tree shoes or regular cross trainers.

I mean it's not like in a difficult situation we are going to stop and take our shoes off before we defend outselves.

10. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Hi guys,

What are Discipline shoes?

( Sounds a little kinky to me! )

Speaking of Martial Arts Shoes. Does anyone know if you can get those Cowboy Boots like the guy wore in 'Road House', the film with Patrick Swayzee?

;)

11. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

The ones with the knife? I think you have to make them.

12. waya

waya Valued Member

13. Kosokun

Kosokun Valued Member

slide

Guys,
    Does your feet slide about in your shoe, when you train? Especially, when darting laterally?

Rob

14. waya

waya Valued Member

Mine doesn't slide at all, and the shoes don't slip on the floor when I am on tile or something like that.

Rob

15. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Only if you don't have the right fit.

16. mattsylvester

mattsylvester One proud daddy!

in find that they not only stink really badly but on a polished wooden floor they slip far more than bare feet.

In my classes I'll be teaching padwork and technique barefoot so that I can ensure people are performing the kicks correctly and will then ask them to stick their trainers on (sometimes normal shoes) for the actual self-defence side of things. No point not training in shoes as they affect the dynamics of your kicks (e.g. making it harder to curl your toes back for a front kick etc).

I'll be posting lesson plans on my site (http://www.practical-martial-arts.co.uk) sometime so keep popping along to have a look!

Cheers

17. Darzeka

Darzeka New Member

I was just gonna ask if any other martial arts wore shoes in training. We wear mid calf length tabi boots (black, ninja, frogboots). These have the big toe separated from the rest of the toes and nicely ridged soles for grip and ripping along peoples' calfs/shins/faces :)

They are made of a thick cloth for the boot and rubber for the sole, are extremely lightweight and flexible.

Had a look at those discipline shoes. Are all your shoes like that or are there different types (like those Kung Fu slippers)? They look cool but kinda restricting, do they allow for full ankle rotation and flexing toes and other such movements?

18. waya

waya Valued Member

You must have looked at the High Tops, mine come nowhere near the ankle lol. They allow total movement of foot and ankle, and actually grip well

19. Chazz

I have never thought about using them in my classes cause i was always made to take them off when i was there. Im am not starting to get some and was wondering if there was one brand better than the other. Any help?

20. waya

waya Valued Member

Chazz,
    I prefer the Discipline shoes because of the foot support and heel in them. I've tried several brands but my foot kept slipping in the shoe, I haven't had that happen yet with the Discipline low tops. Other than those I have heard the Otomix Slider is a good shoe.

Rob