martial arts 'PET HATES'

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Swimming Dragon, Apr 18, 2005.

1. Shadowdh

Shadowdh Seeker of Knowledge

2 good ones and I would like to add... the belief that Qi/chi/ki is a mystical force that will enable you to leap tall buildings in a single bound...

2. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Quote from a former instructor: "everyone who does so called 'free style' karate used to do a traditional style but it was too difficult for them so they decided to make up their own $#1+£" :D

3. wcrevdonner

wcrevdonner Valued Member

Students who talk too much in class especially ones that are giving advice. Unless you're the instructor, or your friend has specifically asked you, PIPE DOWN! (I used to do it a lot till I realised that a) I wasn't getting paid for it, b) I was paying for lessons that I was talking in and c) I may have been giving wrong advice via my experience. All of these from thinking I knew best instead of actually just getting on with learning! :D)

The talkers are usually the non doers.

And all the stuff that SM mentions. apart from the cats, I love cats...

4. DaiHomme52

DaiHomme52 New Member

-Ppl who think their experts after a few lessons
    -Ppl who don't put any effort into what their training, and just sorta stand around
    -Ppl who act like you're trying to kill them when you're really taking it easy on them

5. Bellator Manus

Bellator Manus Warrior of the Hand

Mine hmmm . . .

People who dismiss anything not on UFC. If it works for you, than do it. I would recommend sparring people from different styles however.

People who claim stuff about the str33t, when in reality they grew up in a nice neighborhood and all they know about teh street is what they've seen from movies. I could say that I believe the only stuff you'll meet on the street are a bar fight or someone with a gun robbing you, but then I would be violating my own pet peeve.

6. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

I've only got a few... in no order:

1. People who wear their uniforms outside of school/school events. Especially to resturants. I realize that I'm not a parent... but no.

2. People who use dodgy history to justify poor practices within their art. In fact expand that to people who are willfully ignorant about the history of their arts.

3. Phrases like "escrima/kempo sticks"... for god sakes folks, they're just sticks. Not Escrima, not kempo, not kali, ect. Just sticks. And to prove it, I'll be happy to pick up a escrima stick and beat you about the head and body using three styles of combat that are not escrima.

- Matt

7. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

People who tell you to go easy in sparring if you make touch contact

People who tap BEFORE the lock is on

People who treat the whole thing as a joke

People who are overly aggressive and hurt their partners (Particularly if they are lauded for trainning so hard afterwards)

getting told to do techniques that i know wont work and being told that they do

Women being told/assuming that they can never beat a man in a fight simply because he is a man (Im sure there must be MA systems that teach well enough that women can kick the crap out of men out there)

8. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Instructors and students who assume that women need to be handled differently than men. Sorry, I'm a guy, and I'm 5'3" and 130. I've always been the smallest guy in class, why does that make the 5'8" 150 pound woman more fragile than me? If I can get pounded on by the 6' gorilla, so can she, she ain't made of porcelain. Save the princess/knight in shining armour act for outside the school please, I want to train...

9. Amaranth

Amaranth Immortal Blossom

• People who aren't sweating/breathing hard after x-amount of consecutive forms/kicks/etc. (umm... it's called power and intensity :confused: )
    • Guys who think women aren't supposed to break a sweat (come on, I dare you to 'glow' after 10 forms.) :p
    • Newcomers who refuse to be corrected by a person of higher rank who happens to be younger...
    • Young students of higher rank that that disrespect/boss older students of lower rank...

10. Keysi_chick

Keysi_chick New Member

First of all:

*People who say women cant take on guys :bang:
    *People who disrespect you by taking the mickey when you tell them you do MA :woo:
    *People who think because they have previously did a MA, that they know more than you, ie life in general
    *People who disrespect MA as a whole by saying "its just a bunch of nerds jumping about like the karate kid"
    *People who learn MA from books then think they are fandabidozi, try taking on someone who has studied MA from an instructor/master/sifu then see how flaming great you are :bang:

11. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

ROFL. Sorry, never seen that word before.... :confused:

12. wrydolphin

wrydolphin Pirates... yaarrrr Supporter

1. Men who say women can't fight, generally followed by some really bizarre reason that is based upon something about female anatomy that they thought they heard in third grade from a cousin's friend.
    2. Women in martial arts films who always start off the fight winning and then for some inexplicable reason, lose. Stupid Hollywood male egos.
    3. Anyone who spends the class trying to make the weakest or smallest person in the class feel like crap.

13. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

You've seen someone wearing their uniform to a resturant? :confused:

14. shotokanwarrior

shotokanwarrior I am the One

I hate:
    'Do this so I can do that' mentality. I have actually been told that I am 'reacting too fast' and that I have to 'wait for them to attack.' Just let me KICK HIS ASS for god's sake!!!! :woo:

Being treated as weak, and getting no recognition for the fact that I am NOT weak. Despite the fact that I can do 50 pushups in a row, and a lot of the lads can barely do 15 without wiggling their arses in the air, I am still treated like a weak link because of being a girl. (I agree with all of wrydolphin's)

I hate the stupid notion some people have that an agile girl cannot possibly be strong.

Oh, another good one - I hate, I really, viscerally and pathologically HATE, when I walk into the dojo all fresh and lithe and pumped on adrenaline, and all the sensei does is LECTURE!!!!!!!!! YEELAAAAAAGH!!!!!!! I want to freaking train!!!!!!

People who act really soft and hardly even touch you during sparring. Worse still, wimps who complain if you give them even a light shot. It's karate, not tiddlywinks, damn you.

Goddamn yeah!!!!

15. medi

medi Sadly Passed Away - RIP

*punches shotokanwarrior in the face*

16. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

Pet Peeves. . . . . . for the Martial Arts

1. Point Sparring
    2. Weak-willed individuals
    3. Forms addicts who use the fighting arts for performance
    4. People who claim olympic-style TKD is competent self-defense
    5. MMA fighters who b**** and moan about how crap TMA is.
    6. TMA fighters who b**** and moan about how crap MMA is.
    7. People who refuse to adapt and change, even a little bit to IMPROVE
    8. People who believe in the "secret, deadly death techniques of kung fu."
    9. People who tries to learn from video games
    10. People who try to learn from movies
    11. People who don't try to learn anything by looking up real facts.
    12. People who start politics within styles
    13. People who make excuses for themselves in class to not work hard
    14. People who will automatically diss your style no matter what
    15. People who simply think their art is the God of Martial Arts

The local TKD McDojo around my house do. :D

17. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Dang, Shotokan, cut back on the caffeine will ya??? :D

18. Bellator Manus

Bellator Manus Warrior of the Hand

I have one more:

Being punched hard in the ribs when we are trying to practice slowly and memorize the body mechanics. I was like, "WTH?!" In my mind. He gave no explination or anything. If he has/had a problem with me I would rather him tell me or work it out in sparring, where I expect to get hit. If it was and accident, you could say sorry you know.

19. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

Yeah, well imagine practicing 5-wheel punch with newbies who have no idea how much the pantherfist hurts and "accidentally" lands a few on that floating rib of yours. . . . .

I feel like Sao Choying them across the neck. . . . .

20. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Surprisingly enough, I had you in mind when I wrote my post about the princess and prince charming. I kinda figured you'd agree with me that such a stereotype needs to be dismissed. Some of the best fighters I've worked with have been women, and I truly despise the "I broke a nail and my hair is a mess" set :woo: