Martial Arts Casting

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by 1SavvyGirl, Aug 6, 2005.

1. 1SavvyGirl

1SavvyGirl New Member

Has anyone ever heard of Martial Arts Talent? I got an email from them. Their site looks ok, but I'd like to get feedback from someone who has actually been on there. (Or PM if you don't want to post in public.)

http://www.martialartstalent.net

Oh and I've already heard of ScreenFighters. I paid and signed up with them and they never have anything going on it seems! :bang:

Just curious. Thanks. :love:

2. Bil Gee

Bil Gee Thug

Page transitions, free stat- counter provided by statcounter.com, very little content and inconsistent navigation. The web-site is very amateurish. The key words they have on the site say a lot about who it's aimed at

martial artists, casting, film, acting, jet li, martial arts, bruce lee, hollywood, matrix, kung fu, karate kid, stunts, jobs, classifieds, action films, models, fitness, shaolin, karate, combat, crouching tiger, tournament, private lessons, sifu, headshots, casting call, talent, agency, martial arts movies, how to get into martial arts, asian, ninja, fighter, screenfighter, streetfighter, free listings, jackie chan

Doesn't look like a very credible business to me.

3. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Joining an Internet casting agency is always risky, especially if youre paying for it.

If you really want to get into this kind of field, I would say do

- join 'physical' agency. As in where you can go to the office, everything is done by phone and appointment, face to face. Though you can still join an internet agency like www.mandy.com where its free and its mainly indy's/students/some features and are all freelancers doing everything for free or little money.

- find a stunt team and audition for them. Work is a little more scarce, but you will be with like minded people and teams helps their members.

- join a union, similar to stunt teams but you get more rights......although there is more red tape. Such as, you can only work with fellow union members, union may not allow you to work on certain shoots due to various amounts of reasons such as budget, cast, Director or studio relationships aka Politics.

- OR the most risky and go freelance, be your own agent and FIGHT for roles as in go up to the Producers of the shoot and say....'I could do this stunt for cheaper rate'

- Start your own agency. If you got the contacts you can help out others which in turn helps you. Also you can claim commission on other peoples jobs, like 5% and all you did was make 2 phone calls, first calling the studiom 2nd calling the cast.

4. 1SavvyGirl

1SavvyGirl New Member

Thanks for your feedback! :D

Bil Gee: I don't mind the keywords as much (just typical search words no?) and neither the site design.. which I actually kind of like. Except the main page is different than all the others! I do agree the navigation is a bit inconsistent and wonder how often the other content is updated since the dates don't show.

Mushroom: Thanks for the tips. Yes, I am part of an agency here, but also look for stuff on my own. Everyone doesn't use the same agencies to submit their work.

By the way, about starting my own agency. That seems like a lot of work! :rolleyes:

I did get some feedback from people too. They said the listings are updated regularly, the customer service is very prompt and helpful, they screen listings before posting.

From my own observation, the search function for listings is very good. The site lists both paid and non-paid jobs so it might be worth a trial.

Oh yeah, for stunt teams! Don't know much about that. I'll look into it.. but might be too dangerous. ;)

5. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Yeh it is!

I just met a Casting agent, whose based in London but shes from Canada and shes an Actress. But she couldnt get any work and obviously like many people in this industry was surrounded by others like her.

So she and a mate whose an Accountant, decided to open up their own place, they started off getting people background jobs and now are slowly getting feature film actors.

So they got off on a really good foot. Although they did live on their credit cards for about 2yrs prior. :D

My Brother is trying to get into the Acting biz and has like 4 agencies (1 main agency) and still doesnt get enough work. But considering the amount of people who want to be performers so desparately, the figures actually make sense.

Good luck anyhoo.