Martial artist in trouble - can't get over my failed testing. Help!

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by flutterfists, Jul 16, 2007.

1. flutterfists

flutterfists Valued Member

I failed my second degree black belt testing and got a no change. I'd never failed a testing before, and it tore me up inside something fierce.

I trained like mad, making sure I was prepared. I worked really hard on my board breaks so I wouldn't have any trouble during the testing (in my class, once you hit blue belt, it's required of students to break boards during testings), and I made sure my forms and one-steps looked sharp.

Despite the extra training, I wasn't able to break one of my boards when the time came.

That happened on the 19th of last month, and it's left me with an almost phobic-like fear of breaking boards and failing again.

All I need is the courage to try again, but I can't seem to find it inside myself. Any advice?

2. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Life is like a bucking bronco ...it will throw you around and beat the hell out of you ......but in reply you have to keep on fighting ...

Get your self back in gear and pass that stupid test ...

regards

Smurf :D :D

3. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

Like Smurf said ;) Get past the test.....don't dwell and just do! Good luck :D

4. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Hey Flutterflists,

It's hard but like Al says,you have to learn to get back up there and try again,You're only young anyway and have obviously worked to get where you are.Gradings are often simply down to luck on the day, no matter how much you have trained and how ready you are.I really ballsed up combination kicks on my last grading ,but that's just the way it went on the day.

I know it's important for your grading,but forget about that and just focus on breaking those pesky boards and you'll be fine :)

5. Capt Ann

Capt Ann Valued Member

To paraphrase a friend's favorite saying:
    Like the Little Blue Guy said, GET BACK ON THAT HORSE, Girlfriend!

You would never have made it THIS far, if you were prone to quitting. You said you've had to break boards at every test since blue belt, so we all know you CAN do it. YOU know you CAN do it. So when you practice for the next time, you WILL do it. No apologies - just get back up and test again.

INDOMITABLE SPIRIT

6. EternalRage

EternalRage Valued Member

Don't be bummed over a test - so what, you don't get to learn a new form, and don't get to wear a new stripe on your belt.

You still get to do everything else that counts, ie martial arts.

Belt tests are an overrated method of milking more money out of students and promoting a hierarchial pyramid system which serves little organizational purpose in training, while running the risk of breeding cocky belt mongerers who idolize the piece of fabric instead of focusing on increasing their fighting skills.

Just train hard, I'd rather see a first degree that can beat the crap out of everyone, to the point where people are saying "wow that person should be promoted!"

7. pauli

pauli mr guillotine

you failed a test? good. that means the school you're training at might not suck.

there's a lesson in everything.

8. Brian R. VanCis

Brian R. VanCis Valued Member

Just keep going! :cool:

9. KempoFist

KempoFist Attention Whore

You could always do Jiu-Jitsu. We don't break boards, but we choke out those who do :)

10. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

What a cracking line !!!

Smurf ............... :woo: :woo: :woo:

11. kmguy8

kmguy8 Not Sin Binned

along the same line as kempofist's thought.......

why not use this as a reason to explore beyond your style...

do you like breaking? I'd find a school where i was promoted for accomplishments other tham sharp forms and breaks......

perhaps trying judo, wrestling, or a ground art might be a refreshing change of pace. same is true with boxing, MT, or any full contact (actual) stand up training

12. KempoFist

I've said it before, and I'll say it again...I have a reputation to live up to ;)

13. Burbs

Burbs Valued Member

Lots of good advice up here.

Like I hear in our Dojo - Its not how many times you fall, its how many times you get up. Or in the words of Joe Dirt - You just gotta keep on keeping on.

So you had a bad day. Look back at your practices, some are better then others. You just happened to test on an 'off' day, nothing to worry about. All the preperation in the world is not going to help you on a bad day, period.

I also agree the fact that you did fail might be an excellent training tool (and IMO show your school is 'real', what is a test if everyone passes everytime. When I tested for 1st yellow, 2/5 of us failed), as you now have something else to 'overcome' which IMO, is what MA is all about. Overcoming obstacles whether it be physical, mental and/or to better ones self.

Don't get hung up on it, focus on the moment when training, and IMO - start meditating, as it will help you keep your mind centered when in these situations. Learn to master your emotions not become slaves to them.

14. blindgod

blindgod Valued Member

Wow. I didn't think it was possible to fail an ATA testing.

Well, the best advice I can give is to just keep going and try harder next time. Never forget that Chuck Norris failed his first black belt testing.

Just out of curiosity, what was the breaking technique?

15. KempoFist

Chuck Norris was actually testing him. He had to chop down a redwood tree with his bare hands.

16. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

Sounds like you're getting some good advice, so I'll share some bad advice. Homer Simpson once said, "So you tried and failed miserably. The lesson is to never try."

17. flutterfists

flutterfists Valued Member

I'm not part of the ATA, actually. My instructors broke away from them and started their own thing because the ATA in our area was ripping people off and churning out the belts with too much ease.

But anyway. Thanks for the advice so far, guys.

The board break (or non-break I suppose) was a walking reverse side-kick.

Failures in my class are fairly rare. I think we've had 2 color-belt failures since I've joined (which was about 4 and 1/2 years ago) and maybe 5 black belt failures.

Every testing is different, but generally, blackbelts in my class get tested on forms, one-steps, sparring, board breaking, throws/grabs, and questions pertaining to TKD. My testing consisted of 10 forms, 15 one-steps, sparring, boards, and questioning.

18. KempoFist

My favorites;
    "If at first you don't succeed, lower your expectations"

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving isn't for you"

19. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

Some other good ones, these from Despair.com:

"In the battle between you and the world, bet on the world."

"If you can't learn to do something well, learn to enjoy doing it poorly."

"If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style."

And my all time favorite:

"It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others."

20. zendog

zendog Valued Member

Can't tell you how many situations I've seen where the real test was what you did after you failed. That's real life.