Martial Art Of Aikido - Training

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by koyo, Aug 3, 2006.

1. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Ah, well that is a good point.

My concern was with a specific use of tenkan as in the corner step. I think it works best with longer weapons. I am still undecided on if it leaves one vulnerable in the centerline against short weapons. Just my own issues.

2. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

There is a type of movement called "crow hopping" It relates to tenkan just as the tenkan is about to be completed we "push off" of the back foot. This instantly enters us and changes the maai to suit a shorter weapon. This is the value of weapons training wherein the maai changes more so in empty hand. There are ways of using the long sword "at half it's length" where the left hand is placed on the back of the blade and the fighting distance is suddenly shortened.

Without doubt the best mastery of mobility I have seen has been from the aikido shihan who were also masters of the sword.

regards koyo

3. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Thank you Koyo :love:

I must try this. If it is what I think it is, it is similar to the "crow hopping" I already use a lot to counter leg sweeps and takedowns after someone has gotten a grab of me.

4. koyo

Hi Rebel
    Crow hopping as counter to sweeps? YES. I was given a film and told it was one of the best demonstrations of aikido ever. It is Kyuzo Mifune performing Judo. At one point the much taller and stronger opponent sweeps both of Mifune's feet taking him up into the air about three feet off the ground. Although his legs have been swept Mifune retains the balance in his hips goes into the air and brings his legs up a little higher and then drops OVER the sweep and executes a counter!!!!
    Absolutely astounding.He also tended to perform "two finger" judo meaning he held lightly with two fingers of both hands and STILL executed powerful techniques.
    Whenever I feel that I am beginning to master unbalancing I need only watch that film again.

Regards koyo

Attached Files:

5. koyo

Talking about films and crow hopping. How is this for crow hopping.
    It is from the forthcoming movie 300. Training? Spartan attitude to training....War is a respite from training!!
    Told by Xerces at the head of a quarter million army to lay down their weapons the responce is COME AND TAKE THEM
    Our arrows shall blot out the sun.
    Then we shall fight in the shade.
    We shall attack and kill you all.
    DO NOT LET FEAR STOP YOU

Really looking forward to this one.

regards koyo

Attached Files:

• 300.gif
      300.gif
      File size:
      43.6 KB
      Views:
  6. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Dude, we've all seen Ang Lee movies, with the wires. CTHD and Iron Monkey are old news now. ;) :D

7. koyo

Next you will be telling me that Steven Seagal is fat and that it is not ki he has under his shirt!!!!Or that he is not the greatest blues guitarist alive!!!!!

Hope you had a good new year

Cheers Koyo

8. koyo

ASHI SABAKI

Since aikido depends on mobility in all directions it is stressed that there are no stances in aikido. Some practisioners of other arts who come to train with us find this difficult at first (breaking out of stances).
    Ashi sabaki (movement of the feet) is the most important element in body movement and alignment. It is stressed never to move "one foot at a time" Stepping on to one foot displaces the balance from the centre the rear foot must always be drawn up into a natural kamae.In swordsmanship this is a fundamental principle. Never strike from the shoulders or arms alone always strike from the koshi (centre of balance) striding forward drawing the rear leg up into natural kamae.
    below my good friends Shihan Hepburn and Shihan Kincaid are seen Shihan Kincaid is striding forward thrusting off his left foot which will follow up to empower the strike. It can be clearly seen that even during the stride his centre has remained in balance.
    So if I were to state NEVER move one foot at a time???
    Your thoughts.

Attached Files:

9. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

That's an interesting post koyo. In the training I've had I've always been told to draw up my posture when moving.

The thing that always left me a bit confused was the deep or low postures other schools of Aikido adopt. I can certainly understand it from the point of view that lower centers of gravity are more stable.

But with the limited practice I've had with Aikikai students, they always seemed very awkward when trying to move and always seemed to have one leg trailing behind them like a lame dog. I never quite understood why they did that? To me it always seemed as though they had sacrificed too much freedom of movement.

10. koyo

I have noticed that as well and when I correct it in any student who visits, that and remembering to defend their face while attacking they agree. yet I am certain that when they return to their own clubs they immediately return to this dachi (stance) It is fundamental that aikido is executed from sankaku ho triangular posture which is quite impossible from this "stance".

regards koyo

sankaku ho (natural posture)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 25, 2007
  11. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

It's not Ki. It's his favourite blues guitar. It brings him luck. :)

But if I may go back to deep postures and stances for a moment. Where do they come from? Looking at a few videos on Youtube I noticed that none of the high ranking experienced Aikidoka giving demonstrations seem to adopt these postures. They all seem to be more or less standing upright. Even looking at videos of swordsmen. They don't seem to even go that deep. Or if they do, it's a fleeting moment.

Is this a symptom of modern Aikido or where these postures adopted for a reason at some point?

I know you've already stated you correct this behaviour. But as you've been here awhile I thought you might have some more insight. Hope I'm not wasting your time :p

12. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Low or high posture, it depends on the context of the situation. What I would look for, and I'm not sure if it can be easily seen by the eyes or if it can only be felt on the receiving end is whether the movements are in just the limbs or if they utilize the "whole body" (mainly speaking of the center and hips).

Does not matter how perfect the posture looks, if it is mainly in the limbs, it will lack power and the ability to move the body quickly.

IME.

13. kensei1984

kensei1984 Panda Power!

You guys are joking about him being a good blue singer right? :confused:

14. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

:eek: Blasphemy :eek:

15. koyo

Hi Rebel

To me high or low posture is achieved by sinking the hips. What I see as a "stance" is when either leg takes most of the weight (kicks aside),This immediately negates mobility.What aiki wolfie speaks of is a "trailing" of the back leg a most difficult stance to move from that is seen in some aikidoka.
    I understood this long posture to be an exercise to develop a "low centre" kind of transitory between suwari waza (kneeling techniques) and standing techniques. Not something to be retained once a strong centre of balance has been achieved.
    All techniques and strikes should be powered by the hips AND executed on the move.
    Many aikidoka insist on training in such a manner that "one attack comes one technique is applied" Stances may just work in this unrealistic scenario. However if it is multiple attacks or jabs and crosses that do not "comit" the attacker then stances are most dangerous.

Kensei1984
    Mr Seagal was in Glasgow about a month ago. I DID NOT attend the concert. From this you may gather we were certainly joking. :)

regards koyo

Last edited: Feb 26, 2007
  16. kensei1984

kensei1984 Panda Power!

Alright.....now i feel more comfortable settling in here. lol

17. koyo

Welcome kensei once you "settle in" we would be interested in your thoughts.

regards koyo :)

18. kensei1984

kensei1984 Panda Power!

Trying to get my head around the terms really.

I do Yoseikan Aikido, so the naming system can be different at points.

Rather than spamming the boards, I'm doing a lot of reading.

I am curious though, as to the use of what i like to call "changing techniques".

Such as when a shihonage fails and the opponent's resist before the final phase of the lock. We train to use another entering rotation to unbalance and recommence with tenkan or mukaedaoshi, or even kotegaeshi.

The problem is that most students do not even try to produce a proper shihonage, but rather go enter the secondary technique straight away, mostly unconsciously, even though you emphasise that it is a backup technique and not your primary one.

Trying to explain how to change a student's mindset is a hard thing to do.

19. koyo

Hi kensei

In traditional aikido we call multiple techniques henka waza example unbalance with ikkyo (forerm pin) if we meet resistance enter behind and execute irrimi nage (entering throw). I trained a little in yoseikan budo and found it to be excellent.(I managed to slip away while on holiday in Paris) :Angel: I was looking for an aikido dojo and ended up in a yoseikan club. They made me most welcome.

regards koyo

20. kensei1984

kensei1984 Panda Power!

Ah, France is the home of Yoseikan really. Good job, you would have had a blast!

I take it you're from the Ellis School of Aikido. i have read a few articles on your school if so. Is it true that the Dan grades have an organised Sunday Special where it's anything goes? How does that add to you training experience?