Martial Art for someone with bicep problems?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Lord1e, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Lord1e

Lord1e New Member

Hello!

I am trying to find advice on a Martial Art I can try getting into. In college I played Rugby, Waterpolo, and worked out a lot which eventually led to tendinitis in my distal bicep tendons on both arms. That was about a year ago and my arms feel good but my physical therapist still only lets me do bicep workouts with weights no heavier than 20lbs.

I am not looking for competition or self defense, although I am fine with either of those as byproducts, I just want to have fun, train, and move around.

Does anyone have any ideas on a M.A. that might not make my injury/situation worse?

Grond likes this.
  2. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

First place to start; What is available in your area?

Mushroom and Pretty In Pink like this.
  3. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Taekwondo might be perfect - very heavy emphasis on kicks rather than hand techniques.

Otherwise I think it's a case of looking to see what's around, going to check out classes and being really honest with the instructors, as most of us will do what we can to help those with limitations to enjoy our arts.

Lord1e and Monkey_Magic like this.
  4. Lord1e

Lord1e New Member

I am North of Boston MA area and there are a lot of options. I do not live in a particularly big town and within a mile there is aikido, TKD, Karate, kick boxing, multiple BJJ establishments, just to name a few.

5. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

No offence to your physical therapist, but limiting your biceps curls to 20 lbs is ridiculous. Human bodies are robust marvels of adaptation, but the advice you were given is a misinformed relic that belongs in physical therapy clinics in the 1990s. My advice to you is try gradually increasing the load your biceps can tolerate. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

6. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

North Shore area?

Note: I grew up in Peabody

Lord1e likes this.