Marine Corps Martial Arts Program

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Laughing Tiger, Jun 23, 2006.

1. Laughing Tiger

Laughing Tiger New Member

Hello,

I was just wondering what the MAP's take on the new Martial Arts program being developed by the Marine Corps. I know very little about it but the articles I've read are very interesting.

-LT

2. xxionx

xxionx Forgotten In Chaos

Say What!!!no Way!!!

3. madmike

madmike ow that hurt not

tell me more

4. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

It will be the basic military thing. How to hurt htem a lot or get your gun back fast.

5. tkdkyle

tkdkyle New Member

I read an article about it in the July issue of Black Belt. It had stuff like defending from an attacker with a knife, blocking a roundhouse punch, countering a bear hug from behind, and countering a front kick. It's mostly stuff that would be used for military combat.

6. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

Most probably similar to what Krav Maga and stuff teach in the basic self defence. The most effective defences to common attacks.

7. Spainey

Spainey New Member

The other important thing being the speed at which these techniques can be picked up.

8. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

9. xxionx

I think one of the best martial arts for military is krav maga, and Russian Martial arts...Especially Russian Martial arts though it is defiantely for big people.

10. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

LOL! :D

Yeah they stopped letting small people into the military. :rolleyes:

11. Spainey

Spainey New Member

I know a shortarse, 5'6 ish who is damn good at russ and systema, so not just for big people. :p

But yeah, as a Krava Maga lad meself I do think it's great, you pick the techniques up so fast it's unreal.

12. xxionx

Yea let me re-phrase that....for Special Forces it is the best martial art to first learn. :)

13. KageAkuma

KageAkuma Valued Member

The MCMAP is all very basic techniques. They're meant to be simple and effective so they can be taught quickly. Only kicker is that the techniques are trained in every environment you can think of: On sand, in the water, on logs, on the ground, etc. They drill, and drill, and drill, and drill, and drill some more.

If you have any experience in Full Contact such as Krav Maga or MMA, you can pick it up fast. They even do their own form of Iron Body conditioning.

This is all from Marine friends of mine, some of them in service right now.

14. Satori81

Satori81 Never Forget...

Dude, you didn't even bother to credit me.

;)

15. KageAkuma

KageAkuma Valued Member

I couldn't remember your name!!! Thank you for posting.

I have to thank Satori for a lot of the wonderful advice he gave me about the MCMAP. He gave me a lot of wonderful insight and the majority of my above post is pretty much taken straight from his mouth.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2006
  16. Tsumetai

Tsumetai Banned Banned

The background image of the MCMAP section of the USMC web site shows a guy holding someone's leg and pulling their arm back for a shotgun punch.

... A shotgun punch? Come on. If your eneemy knows what they're doing, there goes that side of your rib cage--I hope the medic has experience in treating punctured lungs.

17. Tsumetai

Tsumetai Banned Banned

Have you ever seen a Russian MA demo? In a regular MA demo, you see a bunch of Jap. kids flying around, and you go "holy crap!". When you see a Russian MA demo, you're, at best, embarassed for the guys.

18. geves

geves Valued Member

so are we talking about basic training?

cuz i doubt they're going to devote any more time than they do now (which is very little). i mean hand to hand combat isn't exactly a focal point of todays military.

19. Gjall

Gjall New Member

MCMAP is the latest, and in my option the best, in a line of close combat programs. It consists of many basic simple moves unarmed, with the rifle, the knife and baton with other weapons such as belts and wire added later. The more complex techniques are added as a Marine progress though the program. Physical conditioning is stressed through out, as is training in a Varity of environments. Good instructors also do a lot of pressure testing though it of more like kempo than MMA in that multiple opponents and opponents starting of in places other than in front are worked on quite a bit. Physiology for damaging the body is taught as well as the psychology of killing. Controlling and lethal techniques are taught though non-lethal is stressed. Over all the bugs are still being worked out but is very good program.

20. Satori81

Satori81 Never Forget...

Also, don't make the mistake of reading too much into pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]