Marijuana in Martial arts

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Kuroshinobi, Feb 10, 2010.

1. embra

embra Valued Member

The weed usage feeds into the same funnel of wasted life as bad parentage, hard drug usage, crime etc - it all goes one way and it aint good. Bad habits breed worse habits. Breaking out of them is very difficult.

2. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

McDonald's double bacon cheese burgers also feed into a funnel of wasted life, that doesn't mean it's on the same footing at doing crack or killing a prostitute.

3. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

The problem for the younger kids was/is that the parents were druggies. They had no jobs or interest in finding jobs. The kids grew up in families like that.

I do not believe that ANYONE starts taking drugs fearing that it may escalate and become addiction. That is why I do not believe the "I can handle it" statement.

If there were no other drugs available I could not care less if people smoked weed.In the areas where I worked however,it was weed that introduced them to the culture.

It is the dealers that I despise having seen them attempting to sell drugs at school gates.It is also the fact that there is nothing much in most of these areas to engage the young and little is being done about that.

4. AndrewTheAndroid

koyo: If the kid's parents were druggies then they were more than likely introduced to the drug culture far before they were introduced to weed.

5. embra

embra Valued Member

It all depends how far and deep you fall into the wasted funnel. If you stay there a long time, then more progressively more serious incidents become that bit more likely.

That said, if one's biggest indulgence is regular McDonald's double bacon cheese burgers, then crack or killing prostitutes are not likely to folllow, but you will acquire an obese figure and high cholestorol.

If one smokes more and more weed and engages in petty crime (which you are aiding and abetting when purchasing weed - because you are assisting a dealer chain - who will engage in other crimes - petty or otherwise), somewhat more serious activities become statistically more likely - simply through the people you associate with.

In both cases, not viewing your mind and body as a temple, results in wasted life opportunity, with varying consequences.

6. embra

embra Valued Member

This is the really sad part, as drug taking in some areas and social circles is now seen as 'normal' - and society and governments dont care at all.

7. koyo

Pushers outside schools. Weed is cheap get them on that then get them onto an addiction..you have a customer for life.

8. AndrewTheAndroid

While that is true, you have to make a distinction between someone who is a casual smoker, and someone who smokes on a frequent basis. How likely is someone who smokes once a month going to commit petty crimes? How about someone who smokes grass once or twice a year?

Don't knock it if you haven't tried it. :rolleyes:

I am not entirely sure what that has to do with what I said. My point is that if the parents are drugies, then that is where they are learning the behavior from, not just from the dealers they meet later on. My mother was a school teacher for over thirty years, she could tell you countless stories of kids finding their parents stash, talking about their parents doing drugs, ect... This all went on without the help of a pusher.

9. koyo

Pushers and other kids who thought it was cool were the main introduction to drugs for the kids in the Possilpark area.That and being born into it.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2010
  10. AndrewTheAndroid

Again, I don't really see what that has to do with what I said. The kids who had parents that did drugs, that's where they learned their behavior from. And the kids who did drugs but who's parents didn't do drugs, still had parents that were to stupid to educate their kids about the pitfalls of doing said drugs. All of this starts happening years before they have a chance to meet pushers and other kids who think it's cool.

11. embra

embra Valued Member

yes, but it all falls into the same funnel of bad physical and social habits and bad company, one way or another.

12. AndrewTheAndroid

Yes, I see that. But I am trying to debate the point of when the funnel starts. Koyo seems to think it starts with the pushers and the "cool" kids. I am trying to point out that the funnel starts before that. I believe it starts with the parents.

13. embra

embra Valued Member

The funnel starts differently for different folk (usually kids, but not always) at some form of social forum e.g. school, but it can be at home, work, street gang, friends (cool or otherwise), concert or others i.e there are many points into the funnel that can suck you in and/or push you in further - but it all leads nowhere unless you can break out of it.

14. AndrewTheAndroid

Again, Embra, I agree with you. But with specific demographic I am talking about with Koyo, the parents are the starting point. Kids who do drugs have parents who don't educate them about drugs.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2010
  15. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

yeah right, because kids always listen to their parents

16. warriorofanart

warriorofanart Valued Member

Parents may be a cause, but 90% of the people I know started smoking weed because of their friends.

The friend I spoke about earlier, his parents are some of the most responsible I've known, but still he went ahead and smoked because of some ill-deserved friends.

The only I can see parents being responsible is if they themselves smoke it, or don't care about what their kids do.

17. koyo

The parents cannot be with the kids 24~7. I found kids born into it,bullied into it and drawn into it.

All of the drugs came from the pushers and money lenders who were loaning money to buy drugs that they were supplying to the pushers.

I think the environment in the deprived areas of Glasgow is not at all like the environment you describe in Canada.

18. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Area and social factors don't matter a jot koyo. I came from one of the richest areas in the north west and I know of poor little rich kids that are probably still inside now because they had to resort to armed robbery to pay back their supplier because they thought pushing drugs was easy money. Not much good at it when you're off your face all the time, mistakes happen.

19. koyo

Yep seen that too.

Two young ladies crashing dad's BMW while stoned.

20. AndrewTheAndroid

And obviously parents are always responsible people and never to blame.

Koyo, you don't seem to be completely understanding what I am trying to say. I am not talking about where the drugs came from, I am talking about why kids do drugs, and why they get addicted to them.

The fact of the matter is, parents should take responsibility for their kids. In some countries, if a child breaks the law the parent is held responsible as well and can be charged with negligence(sp). Parents are supposed to protect their children, and failure to do so is their fault. If the parents don't know what their kid is doing, it's the parents fault. If the parents don't know what kind of people their kids are hanging around, it's the parents fault for not knowing that.

Not being able to be around your children 24/7 is NOT an excuse for bad parenting. Especially when it's lot easier to keep in contact with your children than it was 20+ years ago.