Marijuana in Martial arts

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Kuroshinobi, Feb 10, 2010.

1. SpikeD

SpikeD At the Frankenstein Place

The issue is never really with a substance or preference but more to do with the people that partake. Whilst one man can drink or smoke or even use in moderation and still live a productive life, the next man cannot control the desire. In all that there are, no doubt, links that indicate patterns. I.E. background, wealth, upbringing, intelligence/education, peers, genetics, experiences. This then brings the issue of whether or not it is ok to ban something because a percentage of the population are predisposed to become abusers/addicted when the other percentage will not. It is an interesting moral/ethical issue.

2. xombi

xombi New Member

i recently saw a news report that shows a very large and increasing amount of professional women who have taken to smoking marijuana as an after work activity on a regular/semi regular basis. often times replacing alcohol. now mind these are professionals at the top ends of our sallery brackets here in the united states. the implication being that it certainly is indicative that the person in question is the largest variant with problems arising from substance usage, in regards to marijuana.

I know someone right now dying from cancer that after trying many different things, is put more at ease from the medical marijuana than any other man made chemical substance they have tried. as a bonus it also gives her an appetite, which will prolong her life a great deal by being able to consume nutrients through food on a regular basis.

it just is what it is, imo.

sure some people will become addicted and have breakdowns and mental issues, however those people would likely suffere the same results from a variety of substances. this is the fault of their genetics, psyche and not the 100% direct result of the substance use, as others can and have proven to be able to handle themselves with long term use. In other words its a combination of the substance being intered into a system that can not handle either the mental effects or the physical effects and has a bad reaction based on their specific mental and physical situation.

3. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

I was going to buy a hemp fabric gi, this thread has put me off :(

4. xombi

xombi New Member

dont let this thread put you off of something that is great for our planet, a renuable resource, many times more recyclable than many other materials, can be grown virtually anywhere, plus many other benefits that would take far to long to list.

anyone who is really interested can do the research and see how much hemp the united states used as a production material in our past before big business and corporate oil got involved and eventually got hemp banned.

its all about the money, and people being willing to have others dictate what is 'right or wrong' in the world for them.

hemp is a great product that has nothing to do with drugs. if you want to be ignorant thats fine, but anyone worth a brain cell would do the true research first and understand the truth.

remeber the alcohol prohibition? think about it with clarity. alcohol as a whole has caused so much more grief, pain, and sorrow, destroyed more lives and families in one decade than marijuana ever has. yet alcohol is widely accepted because its LEGAL. thats the only reason there is a major difference in acceptance between the two. not to pit one against the other, both are foreign substances, but anyone with an inkling of personal will and mind will see the correlation there between the man and the sheeple.

most here have probably never visted a rastafari nation either. tis a religious requirement to partake on a regular basis for mental contemplation and meditation with jah. these are entire societies and countries of people mind you. they just dont view it the same as other peoples who are being dicated by laws others created for financial gain. we like to think our society and way of life is the only and true way of being, but that is simply false

Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
  5. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

I CAN HANDLE IT..is one of the biggest falacies of all. If you had ever had to face off against a couple of junkies who wanted to search the body of a dead girl who had overdosed I doubt if you would see drug taking in the same light.

If a youngster asks should he try it... The ONLY sensible and adult answer is NO.

Why take the risk???????people are not attempting to dictate. You need only look at the crime and assaults related to drugs to see where it can leed.

I have seen it AND fought it first hand for all of my adult life.

Kuroshinobi..AVOID IT AND PEOPLE WHO ARE INVOLVED.

6. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

'Drugs' is a generalization.

If you can find a single person, bar the mentally I'll, who is agresive while high on pot, I would be quite surprised. If anything it decreases violent tendencies and makes people passive or even fearfull. I would much rather walk past a bunch of potheads in a dark alley then say a group of drunks :)

7. koyo

I would rather be my grumpy old self as I walked (ran?) by rather than be passive or fearfull because I had smoked a joint.

I am afraid that I have seen far too many lifes ruined or wasted from the drug/mary jane culture to say anything positive about it.

Cannot see anything to change my view.

8. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

I've seen the same from cigarettes and alcohol, but that doesn't mean I won't have a Smirnoff every once in a while. With my asthma, smoking is a little rougher for me, but it does happen from time to time.
    I mean really, if you want to go down that road, we ought to ban boxing because of all the lives ruined by the politics and dangerous ruleset. I mean how many boxers have you seen who can't feed their families because they can't compete anymore, or with brain damage from taking 100+ tags to the brain over 30 minutes or so on a regular basis? Smaller gloves and instant TKO when they fall is much safer. Problem is, you don't make any money because matches don't last as long. Without the depth of grounded fighting, noone wants to watch that. It's killed many people in the name of cash. But that's just the bad. Boxing isn't straight-up evil. Everything has been misused.

The only reason pot is more "dangerous" than legal drugs is because it's illegal. You have to be willing to break the law on a regular basis to use it more than once or twice. This weeds out the kind of people who are likely to responsibly use it, and still they outnumber the wasted lives. You just don't see it because it doesn't show when it's done in moderation. It's not like you can look at someone and say "Oh, I bet you drink every once in a while." You CAN, however, pick out an alcoholic pretty quickly. Pot is the same way.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2010
  9. SpikeD

SpikeD At the Frankenstein Place

No one has ever OD'd on weed.
    Crime in my local area has fallen every year for the past 7 years even tho more people smoke weed now than ever. The number of pub's and bars has fallen by 2/3rds in this same time frame.
    Just sayin is all!

10. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

Yeah, Id say that the majority of crime associated with pot is because it's illegal. Drug itself is much safer than many legal drugs including booze. This is also one of the main reasons the UK's chief drug advisor to the gov was 'let go' recently. He spoke the truth and showed evidence to back it up, and got ditched. Pretty ridiculous really. Gov propoganda is clearly evident.

11. Rhizome

Rhizome Super Valued Member

thats a good post and very true and we all know drugs arent banned because of how dangerous they are or alcohol and cigarettes would be gone along time ago.

it is a drug that should be regulated and legalised, so noone is smoking cut product that has been sprayed with glass and other contaminents to make it weigh more. It would free up jail space also putting kids in jail because their caught with a little pot is crazy. Also as has been said you have to become a criminal to purchase some and thus are dealing with most likely dodgey characters which in your tracks will probably be offered coke and other stimulants.

12. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

No. Just No.

WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT???? Junkies? OD'ing? I never saw a weed junkie before, let alone two who were searching a dead girl who OD'd on weed. Were they looking to see if she had any Doritos left? Oh and you can't OD on weed. It's never happened before, ever.

The way you are misconstruing things, I highly doubt that you've seen or fought anything to do with cannibus. I come from one of the demographically highest (no pun intended) pot smoking area's in Canada, so trust me when I say this: you don't know what you are talking about so just stop.

13. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Then why is it when you go to places that it grows wild that the local population say it makes you mad?

There's no such thingas a casual smoker as it stays with you longer than any other drug. That's about a month or so.

14. callsignfuzzy

callsignfuzzy Is not a number!

I've trained with some guys who get high before training. They don't see how it affects them, and frankly, it isn't obvious to me when they're high. I mean, I can go back and look at their performance and say, "well, they just didn't seem to be on today", but that's about it.

My view on it is this: it's illegal, so I don't do it, and can't endorse anyone else doing it either. But if they chose to, it's their choice.

15. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

I don't know if you're aware, but Koyo has been in some serious business, and he speaks with a lot of tact on here. Have a little respect. I disagreed with the principle that marijuana and other drugs are inherently linked, but I did NOT presume to tell that man that he doesn't know what he's talking about. Watch his posting and it's obvious he isn't that type.

16. koyo

I did NOT say she had overdosed on weed. I said she had overdosed.I worked in areas of Glasgow where there was/is serious drug problems and most of the kids started with cannibus.

17. AndrewTheAndroid

And had she stayed on cannibus she'd likely be alive today. Further to the point, how do you know these kids didn't start with booze and ciggerettes, which have killed far, far more people than marijuana has?

The fact that you are trying to make a correlation between marijuana and drugs such as herion, crack, ect... makes it hard for me to take your argument seriously.

18. embra

embra Valued Member

The demon weed

This thread started off with quaoting Bruce lee's apparrent mary-jane usage some time in the 60s. That was a time when there was a degree of innocence (ignorance really) regarding its usage, and it held something of a fashionable status.

Now a lot is known about the demon weed, and its biggest danger is the usage with those suscetibile to psychiatric illnesses. There are other physical and social dangers, but potential psychiatric illness is by far the most serious danger.

I indulged in the weed from 17-20 and gave it up promply in 1979 (when Mrs thatcher arrived by coincidence), when I saw what weed, other drugs and the asociated social chaos did to people. I grew up with a generation of about 500 associates in that world.

Now, no more than 10 are alive to today.

Since then, I have encountered a few (but not many) individuals who have been capable in MA and other walks of life - though they neary always benefited from either a naturally calm disposition and/or a stable and suppotive social/family background. Almost everyone gives up sometime into their 40s.

The folk who have been succesfull in life who were/are weed users, have stuck to one basic way of life i.e. they dont experience much beyond their own horizon - which is fine if that is what you want out of life.

I try to keep an open mind to weed usage, and dont get religious about folk using it or not - it is their choice. However, in 99.99% of cases I have seen the demon weed is responsible for dimished and wasted opportunity, illness, death and a general detatchment from society.

For MA, where great mental concentration is required, for me personally I see no place for Mary Jane - it just leads to delusion - but everyone must make their own choice.

However, I fully appreciate that folk (particularly young, old and disabled) in some areas dont have a lot on their horizons i.e. society does not offer much to the average person now; and they may well find a valid kind of comfort/escape from the harshness of life with Mary Jane i.e. its not a black and white argument.

Alcohol, tobacco, other drugs and bad food do not do much for the human condition either.

19. koyo

I am NOT arguing. People can put whatever they like into themselves. Some youngster asks for my opinion..I gave it.

In Possilpark where the girl OD d they were buying "Tenner bags." Those were paper bags (like sweets) with god knows what kind of pills in them..price £10.

They mostly started on Cannibus because it had been the most easily available.My concern is with young people who are easily led. I have seen too many one parent families,house breakings and muggings..ALL drug related... to believe that the use of ANY drug for other than medical purposes is not a good idea.

As for why not start with booze or cigarettes?.....some of the kids were as young as eight and they had gotten their first hits from the dealers.

20. AndrewTheAndroid

Koyo, don't you think that problems with drug addiction may have more to do with the user having poor parents, or poor childhood, rather than the blame falling on weed?

From what I am getting from reading your posts is that a 21 year old junkie is a heroin addict less because of his chemical dependancy on heroin and less because of his crappy family/childhood, and more because of a completely different drug he started out with.