MAP MEET JUNE 2014

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by John Titchen, Dec 9, 2013.

?

Are you going to the MAP Meet on June 14th 2014?

Poll closed Jun 7, 2014.
  1. I'm going for the whole day!

62.5%
  2. I can make the morning.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I can make the afternoon.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I can't make it. Gutted.

37.5%
  1. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Lethal back kicks!!!

2. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I wish there was some film actually, because you guys all did realy well :)

Mitch

3. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

4. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

No film but photos YES INDEEDY

Attached Files:

5. Alansmurf

MORE YOU SAY !!!

Attached Files:

6. Alansmurf

THE REAL REASON EVERYONE ATTENDED THIS EVENT BECAME EVIDENT ON CHECKING THE CAR PARK

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 15, 2014
  7. Alansmurf

Computer is posting photos upside down ...or was that the uke ?

thanks to Aegis for enduring my teaching ....I had a fantastic day with great people as usual ..

Smurf

Attached Files:

8. Alansmurf

SIMON SIMON SIMON :D:D:D:D

Attached Files:

9. Alansmurf

I was being friendly shaking hands and sitting people on my knee.....:woo:

10. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

still a better love story than twilight :evil:

11. Alansmurf

JWT great to see you if only fleetingly , GWS buddy and we will be kayaking soon I hope. Also a big thank you to both you and Simon for your efforts in the organisation , a great day out for all involved.

Smurf

12. Alansmurf

My birfday cake .....so fitting after being thrown around the mats by Ian .:D

Attached Files:

13. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

HAHAHAHA!

Bite me, dude :D

I reckon his heel isn't up in that photo, you know :p

14. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

So yeah...about 11 hours after I set off to leave high Wycombe, getting lost in Birmingham, missing a train, having an automatic door try and kill me and generally bankrupting myself doing so, I have finally made it home!

And all whinging aside, it was still worth going. Far too much fun to be healthy. It was great to meet some other MAPers in person and put names to faces (sorry to see you weren't feeling well JWT, hope to chat to you in person next time). Thanks to everyone who trained with me on the day, definitely looking forward to next year!

15. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Nice pic of Mr Smith there who was banging in turning kicks with real venom and had brilliant form in his spinning back kick too.

The girls and guys from arts not blessed with kicks did brilliantly too, a number of them your students I think Aegis? Top work by everyone :)

That pic of me caught me with a funny expression, and I'm surprised you took the time to photoshop me out of my mankini and into that black t-shirt :D

Mitch

16. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

I had a great day, but boy do I ache now :)

17. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

I believe that's a phrase that has followed Mitch through his dating history.

18. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Just like to add what a great day it was.

It struck me at one point, during Ian Rose's Judo session, looking across the mat at people trying to inflict as much discomfort on others as they could, in the nicest possible way, what a decidedly ODD thing it is that we do.

As mentioned before I've not trained for a few months and was apprehensive about the day but 10 minutes in that all went away and I remembered how much I love doing martial arts.
    And how great the vast majority of people that do martial arts are. Friendly, up for a laugh, wanting to share their enthusiasm and willing to help others at the expense of their own nervous system and pain receptors.
    I seemed to drink about 10 pints of water through the day but strangely didn't need to pee from 11am until I got home at about 11pm. I think those 10 pints ended up stored in my gi and t-shirt though.

Ian Rose was great as usual and showed why "the gentle art" of Judo is the most innacurate name for a martial art there's ever been. I've been pondering getting into Judo for some time and this has kick started things and I think, this friday, I'll be setting foot on the Judo mat's properly.

Great session with Mitch, explaining kicking in a way that transcended it being just "TKD" and got to the actual principles involved no matter what art you do. Pivoting, hip commitment, targetting, penetration (it's always about penetration with Mitch). Hitting stuff is cathartic and everyone should do it. :)

Then a great session with Alansmurf. DO NOT SHAKE HANDS WITH THIS MAN!
    Especially when he's smiling.
    Pain aplenty but also lots of humour and although I was flagging by this point some great techniques. I'm sure my fingers and thumbs will be fine in due course. I'll sit on your lap any time.

Thanks to everyone involved with the organising and putting on the day.
    Thanks to Mitch for the lift and chin-wag.
    Thanks to all the partners and instructors for making the day fly by with such a good atmosphere.

19. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

And also...Bill Nobb's was an inspiration...75 years old, 50+ years in Judo and still getting on the mat to assist Ian Rose and show us a thing or two.
    Puts my apphrehension about trying judo because of my dodgy back and feeling a bit old at 41 into perpsective. :)

20. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

What a great day, with a bunch of great people!

A huge thank you to everyone who came along because you all helped to make it special. But a particularly big thank you to those who put in the hard work of organising the whole thing, and to everyone who did such a great job of teaching us.

As always, my only regret is that it wasn't possible to take part in every single session.