MAP Meet 2018

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Simon, Jul 3, 2017.

1. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

When are you arriving? When are you leaving? I'm fairly close to High Wycombe but in the opposite direction. There are nice English countryside attractions nearby (including the 2nd largest collection of Ming and Tang dynasty pottery in the world) as well as a really neat old museum/collection of stuff that was brought back to the UK.

LFD

Nachi likes this.
  2. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

Well, it's pay day for me, so myself, @chatter box and Cameron are now officially coming to the meet Saturday-next!!

Time to clean out and wash the car, wash and iron my training clothes and lay off the bacon-sarnies!

Last edited: May 31, 2018
    chatter box, Mushroom, Nachi and 2 others like this.
  3. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

I see, I will look into that! He's not someone from MAP, is he? Still, good tip, thank you! :)

Friday morning to High Wycombe, leaving to London on Monday morning and completely leaving Tuesday evening :)
    Ooooh, that does sound quite nice! We are now checking places worth visiting. How far is it from Wycombe?

Travess likes this.
  4. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

Well the museum is in Tring, the pottery at is at Ascot house in Wing. Wing is an hour away, Tring much closer. Depending on how organized things are it's possible to help you get to see a few things. PM me if you wish to discuss this further.

LFD

Nachi likes this.
  5. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Hughenden Manor and park are very close and worth a visit. Good bit of British history, seeing as Disraeli lived there and all.

Nachi likes this.
  6. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

Thank you very much! We'll look into it and let you know!

We've just noted it as an interesting place, we will probably check it out :)

David Harrison likes this.
  7. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Just one week to go.

Sorry I've not posted much here, but I'm selling my home and looking for somewhere to live, so rather busy elsewhere.

Thank you to everyone who has promoted the meet on their own social media sites.

I'll be bringing Andy, my senior student and assistant instructor as well as my son.

Please remember to get your donations in and make sure anyone you bring does the same.

Details of the Just Giving site are here Read Simon's story

The running order is now on page 1, although it does need a little tweak.

I'll contact Janno today to see if he is still sending one of his guys.

If not I can swap one of my sessions to do some knife work. That is if you guys and girls want it.

Mitch and chatter box like this.
  8. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

I just ordered enough longswords to accommodate 10 people per slot. These will also be available to take away in exchange for a donation to the charity, with any left overs being raffled off as part of the main draw.

I haven't decided exactly what to teach yet, so am going back to the original source material for influence. So far the following gem stands out, which is a direct translation of the original treatise (with picture):

hewho, Simon, Nachi and 4 others like this.
  9. Brixtonbodunwel

Brixtonbodunwel Valued Member

For those thinking about coming to the boxing basics session you don’t need pads or gloves; if you have them that’s fine. The focus is techniques and skills not training. No sparing. The session will give an insight into boxing.

Mitch likes this.
  10. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

On the flip side, anyone planning on doing the Muay Thai & pad holding sessions, bring gloves and shinguards. I will be bringing 4-5 sets down but if you have your own then all the better. :D

As above there's no sparring, but there will be some contact with some of the techniques. Nothing heavy but more comfortable for you all with shinguards than without.

Mitch likes this.
  11. Aegis

I have 4 more sets (something like this) I can bring if that will make your session easier, as long as they all get wiped clean afterwards so they don't grow anything fungal before they're next used!

12. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Aegis ...are you saying MAPers are FUNGAL !!!!

13. Dan Bian

I've been told I'm a pretty fungi...

Smaug97 likes this.
  14. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Looking forward to it - 2 car loads of ninjas coming :)

I may be a little late arriving, apologies, but will be there for 12

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
    Pretty In Pink, Mitch and Dan Bian like this.
  15. Dan Bian

We're aiming to get there around 9am ish.

Pretty In Pink and Mitch like this.
  16. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I'm jealous of all of you. Have fun!

17. Jaydub

Jaydub Valued Member

If you could arrange the next one in Canada, that would be great.

Seriously, though, have fun!

Mitch likes this.
  18. Aegis

I'll be there around 9:45 with what looks like a crate of swords!

As I have two sessions, I'll be focusing on wide plays (where the range allows only for cutting with the tip of the sword at extension) and close plays (where there's more scope for half-swording and grappling). I'll probably do the wide plays in the first session, but will revisit the basics at the start of the second session.

I believe I'll have enough swords for class sizes of up to 12 - no idea how many of you there are, but we may need a sign-up sheet if loads of people want to do longsword!

chatter box and Mitch like this.
  19. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I'll be there between 09.00 and 09.30.

For those of you that haven't been before it's a wonderful facility where we can all chat in the bar afterwards.

There are very good showers, so if you do want to go to the bar after (for the raffle), then you'll be nice and fresh.

We may have to play with the instructor line up tomorrow, but it'll still be an great day.

Not sure if we have an FMA guy coming, so I can always do a knife or stick session if it's wanted.

20. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Looking forward to catching up with friends old and new :)