MAP Meet 2013 Date Set

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by John Titchen, Mar 19, 2013.

?

Will you be attending this year's MAP Meet? (answers are public)

1. Yes!

61.3%
  2. Maybe

38.7%
  1. ned

ned Valued Member

ok! chinese grappling, modern arnis(btw is this stick,open hand or both?) JKD, Dart

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

The modern arnis will be empty hands, but the principles will cross over to stick work.
    I will have my sticks with me, so depending who is teaching around me and what disruption the noise will cause I may be able to show the crossover.

The reason I'm doing empty hands is we have people from many different arts and hopefully they'll see something of worth they can use/see/adapt in their own systems.

3. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

You can use sticks if you all fit in the dance studio. You're too noisy otherwise. :)

4. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

I'ld avoid the chinese grappling stuff if I were you !!
    (must figure out how to get JWT to stop mis-representing what I do :' P)

Actually might not be that bad (just don't be too hard on the old guy giving that session eh!).

:' D

LFD

5. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

Oh, paid up myself so no one can deny me entrance at the door!!

Seems that people over this side of the pond aren't quite as cheap as we have heard since I am expecting an avalanche of people to show up on the day paying the higher price at the door! :eek:

LFD

6. Simon

Well it's time to turn in for the night.

I look forward to catching up with guys and girls I met last year and also to meeting some new people.

If you're still unsure what modern arnis is, worry not, I'm simply going to be doing some trapping hands and time permitting some progressive indirect attacks.

Whatever you chose you'll enjoy yourself, so try something new and have fun.

JWT, Sampsi and I are looking to arrive by 9.30, so anyone turning up sharp for the 10.00 start will have someone to greet them.

See you tomorrow and thanks in advance for making the effort to support MAP and the two chosen charities.

7. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Sorry I cant make it ...

Hamstring still not recovered...

Have agreat day and post lots of photos. ?

Smurf

8. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

Mappers...

Assemble!

Attached Files:

9. Levo

Levo Nathan Leverton

See you there.

Nathan

10. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I'm first out. Great session with LFD and meeting of some MAPpers.

Sorry had to leave early, was looking forward to Levo class and DART...maybe next time.

11. bolo1

bolo1 Valued Member

excellent day - well done to all involved.
    The only problem was choosing what to do - at one point I wanted to do all 3!

Mark

12. Levo

Levo Nathan Leverton

Great to see some old faces and meet a few new people too.

Session 1 I covered the sprawl, front headlock, go behind, a control position using the crotch pry and some ground and pound. Emphasis was on the dominance of wrestling controls for one on one fights and good biomechanics for generating movement and pressure.

Session 2 we did the thai clinch (aka double collar tie or "plum") and moves off that including turning an opponent, different knee strikes and an escape. Conceptual emphasis was on a framework and terminology for thinking about different ranges (or "phases") of a fight and breaking your opponent's chosen position before attacking.

Huge thank you to those who chose to work with me. Your necks will probably be pretty sore tomorrow, make sure you stretch and use heat if needed!

Nathan

13. Infesticon #1

Infesticon #1 Majesticon

Just got back. I'm Martin btw. Had an awesome time despite probably being the most inexperienced person there, it was a real eye opener. I got to meet lots of nice people, sorry if I seemed awkward and withdrawn, I do try to make the effort but still find it hard work.

Great result on the money raised!

14. Simon

I've just got back myself and I'd like to say a big thanks to all who attended.

There is some great news regarding the cost of the hall and the amount raised is awesome.

I'll let jwt go through that though.

15. 1fightforright2

1fightforright2 Valued Member

This event was excellent Simon when is the next one :)

16. Simon

Thank you, it was nice to meet you and thanks for choosing to take my session.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2013
  17. 1fightforright2

1fightforright2 Valued Member

no problem have I proven to you that I have skill?

18. Simon

No one there had anything to prove, certainly not to me.

I think we should all be proud of what we achieved today.

19. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

It's ok, I made it home safely too!

I thoroughly enjoyed the whole day, including lessons in several arts I have never tried before (jwt, I will never look upon kata the same way again). My only regret is that I couldn't have done the other sessions too!

Thanks to the instructors, the people I trained with, chatted with afterwards and everyone involved with the organisation of the day; I genuinely feel like I took something positive and useful away from every session, see you at the next one!

Cheers, Harry

20. ned

ned Valued Member

Big thanks to all those involved in the organisation of this event and those that gave their time to instruct-we were spoilt for choice and it was nice to put a face to a few names!