MAP Meet 2013 Date Set

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by John Titchen, Mar 19, 2013.

?

Will you be attending this year's MAP Meet? (answers are public)

1. Yes!

61.3%
  2. Maybe

38.7%
  1. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Apologies one and all . As you may have noticed JWT has left me off the latest flyer.

Unfortunately I have torn / pulled my hamstring and am incapable of training or teaching at the moment.

This is a great opportunity to meet and train with fellow mappers and I encourage you all to attend and make the most of this opportunity.

Again apologies to the organisers and attendee'strust me if I could train I would be there.

Smurf

2. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Damn Smurf...feet up...crack a beer and rest up.

I'd be really interested in trying the Iaido but how will that be taught to accomodate 20 odd newbs with no swords of their own?
    Swipe angrily with our hands and make "swoosh" noises? :)

3. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Who's teaching the iai?

4. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Roger Payne most likely?

5. Dean Winchester

D'oh. I missed that.

6. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I'm not familiar with him but he seems the part.
    You know him Dean?

7. Dean Winchester

No but that doesn't mean anything. :D

I'm not really connected to the most prevalent iai styles in the uk and I'm not particularly accomplished either.

8. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

So who is coming? How many people are you bringing? Are you prepaying at www.mapmeet.co.uk?

I'm in the dark here folks!

The centre has booked the car park at the school opposite in addition to their own car park to make sure there is easy access parking for everyone!

9. John Titchen

I can confirm that it will be possible to grab bacon butties at the Judo Centre before training begins (and during the day). :)

10. John Titchen

Roger Payne will be teaching the Iaido class (which will depend on numbers interested). He'll bring some bokken.

11. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Anyone still with a doubt over the MAP Meet should definitely give themselves that final push.

This will only be my second meet, but I put my name forward for this as soon as it was announced.

The biggest thing for me last year was finally being able to put names to faces.

The important thing I'd like to get across is the lack of egos, worries about levels of skill or fitness. Just people exchanging ideas and having fun while training

Instructors who were teaching a session suddenly became students in the following lessons.

I took a student last year and he also signed up to come along this year.

See you there. :D

12. Simon

I'll be up for it, as I've never done anything like it before.

13. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Me too...always had an interest in it but never partaken.

14. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Hello!

Having convinced my better half that she doesn't really want to see me during the day on Saturday I'll be coming along too! I won't know anyone so will be forced to actually talk to (semi) strangers... gasp.

It's going to be a tough choice as to what to train - everything looks interesting.

Jwt, would you prefer that I pre-pay, or is cash on the day better?

Cheers chaps and see you there!

15. Simon

Excellent, see you there.

Pre-pay saves you a few pounds and gives MAP some security in terms of numbers.

I fully expect many people to pay on the day though and my gut feeling is we'll get quite a high turn out.

16. John Titchen

Maybe we should get some Morris Dancers in next year?

17. John Titchen

I'm pleased to say that Paralympic athlete and medal winning Judo competitor Ian Rose has contacted me today to say he will drop in. :)

Torchbearer and Opening Ceremony performer for the London 2012 Paralympic Games, winner of 2 Paralympic, 5 World Championship and 9 European Championship Medals, Ian is one of Great Britain’s most successful Paralympic Judoka. Retiring in 2011, Ian was on course to represent ParalympicsGB at his 6th Games in London, but due to an injury in training Ian called it a day, bringing to an end an International career spanning 22 years at the top. Ian now focusses on motivating and inspiring others to achieve their full potential both on and off the mat.

http://ianrose.co.uk/

18. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

That's pretty amazing! Nice work

19. John Titchen

That's thanks to centre director Bill Nobbs pushing the event with the Judo crowd.

20. Infesticon #1

Infesticon #1 Majesticon

I was unsure as I hadn't done anything fitness related for (takes deep breath) 4 years and no martial arts for about 7 years.

But I just brought my ticket. Be gentle!