MAP Aikido Cross-Training Survey

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by OwlMAtt, Oct 3, 2011.

1. OwlMAtt

OwlMAtt Armed and Scrupulous

I'd like to know what the MAP aikidoka crosstrain in and how it affects them. So I am putting forth the following questions:

1. How long have you been training in aikido?
    2. How often do you train aikido?
    3. What other martial arts do you practice?
    4. How long have you been training these other arts?
    5. How often do you train these other arts?
    6. How do these other arts help you in your aikido journey?
    7. How do these other arts hinder you in your aikido journey?
    8. Do you consider crosstraining essential to your aikido? Why or why not?

2. philipsmith

philipsmith Valued Member

OK I'll get the ball rolling

1. How long have you been training in aikido? 43 years (since 1968)
    2. How often do you train aikido? Minimum 3 sessions/week
    3. What other martial arts do you practice? Iai-do
    4. How long have you been training these other arts? 39 years (since 1972)
    5. How often do you train these other arts? minimum 2 sessions/week
    6. How do these other arts help you in your aikido journey? better body/weapons awareness
    7. How do these other arts hinder you in your aikido journey? Posture/stance issues
    8. Do you consider crosstraining essential to your aikido? Why or why not?No since there are two different body dynamics involved[/QUOTE]

3. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

1. How long have you been training in aikido? 2 years last month
    2. How often do you train aikido? At least twice a week
    3. What other martial arts do you practice? Kamishin Ryu Karate
    4. How long have you been training these other arts? 10 years - I originally started with karate being my primary art but now it seems I've swapped over.
    5. How often do you train these other arts? Once a week
    6. How do these other arts help you in your aikido journey? Good awareness of atemi and that if an attacker is using one arm/hand against you, they still have another arm/hand and two feet/knees to smack you with, no problems with terminology and general fitness. Oh, and arms of steel from blocking!
    7. How do these other arts hinder you in your aikido journey? 10 years of staying on my feet with square shoulders, low bodyweight and some tension mean I still end up mashing myself on every roll! :bang:
    8. Do you consider crosstraining essential to your aikido? Why or why not? Sometimes I think so, sometimes I think I'd have been better coming into aiki raw and letting aiki shape me but sometimes I'm thankful for the conditioning and fitness work I do in karate (especially when it comes to high tempo classes and randori).