"Manny Pacquiao Says He's 'Really Discouraging' Son from Being a Boxer"

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Grond, Feb 22, 2019.

1. Grond

Grond Valued Member

2. Monkey_Magic

Monkey_Magic Well-Known Member

Perhaps he’s (rightly) concerned about head injuries and brain trauma ...

Grond and Pretty In Pink like this.
  3. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

If I was one of the greatest fighters that ever lived my kids wouldn't be pro fighters. They'd be successful at something. I'd tell them "I'm already one of the best in the world at this, why don't you be the best in the world at something else?"

axelb likes this.
  4. Grond

Grond Valued Member

Floyd Mayweather Sr. came to mind. He taught his own kid to box, and his kid is arguably the greatest, most successful boxer in history. That's what I meant by sand bagged, Manny clearly has a lot of baggage. How much is baggage and how much is boxing is really hard to distinguish. What's so wrong with boxing, was my point I guess. Manny Jr. could become the next greatest boxer ever. Who knows? Did you see "Creed"? That movie did a great job of explaining this whole dilemma.

5. icefield

icefield Valued Member

He was born into extreme poverty and used boxing to become extremely wealthy and can provide his children with a life he never had

What parent doesn't want their kid to have a better life for them they had?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
    David Harrison and Grond like this.
  6. Pretty In Pink

Mostly blunt force trauma. Peeing blood cause someone done your kidneys in etc. I wouldn't want to see my own kid the that.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2019
    David Harrison and Monkey_Magic like this.
  7. Grond

Grond Valued Member

According to the stories I read and the video, Jimuel loves boxing. "Caught the bug". There is some Youtube video out there of Jimuel shadowboxing getting "mixed reviews", too. The Internet army is fast at work. As far as blunt force trauma, that's a reality for any sport, really. Skiing, boxing, basketball, football. Martial arts.

8. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Yep and he has no reason to do these sports for Manny it was a way out of poverty probably the only route he had

His son has way more options and his dad knows how tough and taxing boxing is

David Harrison likes this.
  9. Pretty In Pink

I appreciate that but do you ever want to see your kid get knocked out needlessly or hurt because you allowed them to box? Manny took a lot of punishment in his career I think it's understandable that he wouldn't want his son to do it. Like why would you want or encourage a sport that incurs hefty amounts of damage to the brain?

David Harrison and Monkey_Magic like this.
  10. Grond

Grond Valued Member

I didn't get the impression his son was doing this just for his dad, but I see your point. Boxing is fun and awesome, though, and it can be lucrative. Fathers and sons box all the time. Manny seems scared for sure, but maybe it's not fair for him to let that get in the way of his son's ambition?

11. Grond

Grond Valued Member

Football is the most popular sport in the US, and apparently a lot worse than boxing on the brain.

12. Pretty In Pink

Like American football? Yeah I wouldn't want my kids doing that either, or rugby.

13. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

David Haye was on a car thing on Dave a couple of weeks ago , and it came out in conversation that his son was looking at going pro in tennis , so it seems they may have had a similar conversation.

14. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Depends how the studies are done but according to the aans
    It's not that safe a sport

15. Pretty In Pink

Jeez. When it says boxers does it mean like only pros or what?

Grond likes this.
  16. Grond

Grond Valued Member

Obviously, but I'm interested in how the study was done, is there a link?

17. Grond

Grond Valued Member

Sorry, yep NFL, college, high school, peewee etc football, and sure rugby. But when you consider all the various sports and your adult son's interests, how much does what you want matter. Discouragement I get, but saying people shouldn't become boxers is like saying they shouldn't become fighter pilots. There's a difference between "you shouldn't" and "you can't", right?

Manny Jr is 18 years old as of this month. I should I have pointed that out earlier, he's not a child. He's got many options, but for some reason he's got "the bug". Lots of people get that bug. :D

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
  18. Monkey_Magic

Telling kids they shouldn’t do something probably encourages them to do it!

Grond likes this.
  19. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

Interesting the way that things get perceived..

I know from studying with the FA years ago that similar issues were present with footballers and others that you would not suspect would get these injuries. Very common problem for jockeys as well. By the way do you think that getting chocked out or punched in the head has not chance of causing brain issues over time? ;' )

As far as rugby goes I figure that I have been concussed a couple times in the last 20+ years of being in the sport. Those both happened falling sideways after being lifted in the line out and hitting the side of my head. I learnt to tackle and fall etc and have rarely been hurt, It was much the same in wrestling and judo. Considering how many people I see that have dementia or similar brain dysfunctions I would say that sports people aren't the only aones that get brain problems over time. Maybe you are getting the same propaganda that I see all over the web. Some people in America decided that rugby was too rough for people to play and suggested it be banned. Oddly enough those who coach American football have come to rugby to learn safer methods of tackling...

Just something to consider.. :' D

LFD

axelb and Grond like this.
  20. Monkey_Magic

Grond likes this.