Man lol, those guys at bullshido are relentless haha

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by GoldShifter, May 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kintanon

Kintanon Valued Member

I can't get on board with this mindset. I saw too much of what TKD does to people mentally, especially kids. It simply is NOT ok. It's as bad as convincing people they can fly and not allowing them to test it before they are thrown off a 1000 foot cliff.

And as I mentioned it's already started, "Oh, MY School I tell the students it's just a sport and won't help you defend yourself or learn to fight." well that's great mister .01% of all TKD schools, that's not the majority, or even a significant minority, so it's totally irrelevant to the discussion of TKD as an overall art and the mentality that it fosters in the people practicing it.

2. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I practice it. Hasn't fostered that mentality in me. :)

Nor my Instructor actually, he thinks of it as a sport. Same with my Instructor before him and others of my acquaintance.

I guess our experiences just differ.

Mitch

3. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

:) Times change.

Forums will always attract misinformed, ignorant, closed minded and deluded people just as they attract realistic, open minded and knowledgeable people. Some people will be swayed by well presented arguments and evidence, others won't. Here we accept that people train for different reasons, but there is a broad consensus as to what different types of training and training methods are good for. This post still applies:

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showpost.php?p=606943&postcount=1

4. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

You are going completely overboard.

TKD is a martial art, not a brain washing cult.

I've never met a TKD student, or instructor, that believes they are ready for the next MMA tournament, or in a position to be able to teach "street self defence". That is unless they actually train outside of their rule set and actually train and study the relevant arts that give them those skills.

More utter nonsense I'm afraid.

What makes your statement hold more water than Mitch's?

What actually qualifies you to be so dismissive? You said in an earlier post that you've been exposed to a lot of hundreds of TKD instructors, so in what capacity were these meetings?

5. John Titchen

But not irrelevant to what TKD practitioners on this forum believe and do about their TKD.

6. Kintanon

Kintanon Valued Member

Competitions from the local to the national level, training camps, attending classes at their schools.

But this is all pointless because guys have decided that it's OK to teach a 'Martial' art that doesn't have any thing 'Martial' in it. So nothing I can do is going to convince you otherwise.

7. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

I actually agree with your sentiments, but the term "martial art" just doesn't have the meaning you want it to. I'm not sure it ever did. Trying to change that is being king Canute.

The best an internet forum can do is educate people, and preferably not alienate them in the process, in my opinion.

8. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

We had a Karate student attend a class once and he asked why we held our hands at head height.
    It was obviously very different to what he was used to and our explanation didn't convince him. He never came again.

I has a guy come to class and I can't recall what I was doing. Probably a simple drill. He asked why we didn't spar.
    My instructor (who was there) spent an hour with him trying to explain that we did spar, but the level of energy that day was due to the type of drill being used.
    He never came again.

Both of these guys were beginners, but made up their minds based on one lesson.

That's fine, it's not for everyone. But neither student gave it a chance or got hands on.

Many of us are dismissive without getting to the root of a class or system.

I've been dismissive of others here, but I'm always careful because I know there is much about others systems I don't understand.

I'm not a Karate fan, but I'm not critical of it because I've been on the receiving end of it more than once.

Like anything else, it just needs understanding.

9. OwlMAtt

OwlMAtt Armed and Scrupulous

First of all, I didn't say it was ban-worthy.

Second, he did more than express a dissenting opinion; he implied the mods here hastily ban anyone who disagrees with them. He was being a weasel.

And while I don't advocate a policy of banning weasels, I certainly wouldn't miss them.

10. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Sorry. I've been off of MAP the last couple of days. Have a third child as of yesterday. And there was much rejoicing.

I realize Phrost has been banned. And I doubt there will be much assuaging anyone who things he shouldn't have been. I certainly didn't want it to come to that. That said, if you're going to come to a forum in full knowledge of their rules, only to immediately and deliberately break them, you need to take some responsibility for the outcome. We can't give someone a free pass to do whatever they please solely because they also run a forum. Even a well-respected one like Bullshido.

Frankly, the mod team was painted into a corner. I wasn't pleased about having to edit, but that's the job.

As far as the word/abbreviation itself, sometimes it's nothing to do with the particular word or abbreviation. And it's never personal. I love swearing, personally. But we're safeguarding a set of mutually-agreed upon rules. And sometimes, the objective is simply to set up a clear and self-explanatory "line" rather than having to draw special exception after special exception. Rules work best when everyone understands how to adhere to them.

It's not "my thing." It's the job I agreed to do here at MAP. And I live with my legal counsel. Besides, the only alternative you'd be leaving is deleting your commentary altogether. Though I doubt that would have been preferable to you.

I'm way too old and tired to do "smug." I'm just trying to do a fair and impartial job of the role I took on. I'd have been about a thousand times happier if it hadn't been necessary in the first place.

I don't expect, for one moment, that visitors from Bullshido will view me or my editing job favourably. And that's fair enough. Everyone gets an opinion. I don't know that I can be much fairer than that.

Stuart

11. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

As long as you devoured Robin's Minstrels, then it is all good.

Seriously though, congrats dude! :D Did everything go ok?

Honestly I don't think there was a great deal of need for justification there. It was all in the TOS afterall.

EDIT:

Ironically, in my experience, I've only ever come across two TKD MA's who felt that their training could put them in good stead in a self-defence situation - and for one of them it actually did. And I think it says it all that the one for whom TKD didn't work out for as a form of SD was a kid at the time I was in school and realised very quickly one day that he had no power to his techniques and no experience with really being attacked. The rest of them still felt that their art was in reality a sport.

So if anything, from my experiences, attitudes like that are very much an individual thing. A loser is a loser regardless of the art they practice.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2013
  12. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

As if that is an acceptable excuse for shirking your duties here. I'm very disappointed in you, Stuart. Very disappointed.

Also - Congratulations!
    -- :baby: -- :baby: -- -- :baby: -- -- :baby: -- -- :baby: -- -- :baby: --

13. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Congratulations!!!

14. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Thanks. :)

Yeah, Karatesloth, everything went really well. Thanks for asking. He's fast asleep in a bouncy seat next to me.

15. John Titchen

Congratulations!

(make a new thread lazy!)

16. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Meh. I'm actually not good at making announcements. Hadn't really intended to have it taken as one here. Just wanted to account for my lack of feedback in what was clearly a very active discussion. Sorry. ;)

17. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Congratulations to you and Mrs Ap :D

Mitch

18. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

Congrats man. :) If I ever see you at one of the DC meets, I'll buy you a beer. Enjoy the sleepless nights. (Think of all the MAPing you'll be able to do!)

19. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I'd much rather meet up in your neck of the woods, my friend. Love Seattle.

20. OwlMAtt

OwlMAtt Armed and Scrupulous

Congrats, Ap.

Contrary to what you said, I don't see any of the Bullies in this thread defending Phrost or accusing you of unreasonable censorship. We like Phrost and we like Bullshido, but he was certainly being unnecessarily antagonistic in this thread. What's more, he was also whining about being called on clear ToS violations, which is something not tolerated on Bullshido. I don't know what got up Phrost's nose.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.