Male Christians aged 21+ read here...

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by iolair, Jun 6, 2004.

1. iolair

iolair Mostly Harmless

I'm planning to set up a kind of men's virtual fellowship/prayer group online. Users would be organised into small groups (maximum 12 members) and software would (through a web interface) allow them to share prayer requests, testimonies and otherwise interact socially and supportively.

The site would be open to any committed christian man (no matter what denomination: protestant, catholic or orthodox). The ideal would be to have a rich mix of denominations and geographical locations within each group.

Well, if this applies to you, do you think this would be a good idea? In particular, would YOU be interested in being part of it? Please post (or PM, if you prefer) and let me know. Any further ideas for such a site?

2. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Why 21+

Why only men?

3. iolair

iolair Mostly Harmless

Age: adults only because this would make it most likely that any discussions were handled in a mature and helpful way.

Sex: Partly to make sure its used for its intended purpose and doesn't accidentally become a flirting forum or singles club. Partly because I believe some things are just more easily and openly discussed in a single-sex environment (someone concerned about relationship problems for example). Finally, the christian demographic means that most mixed christian forums/chats etc. are female dominated. So this would give men some space of their own.

I may take some slight lee-way on this ... I definitely want to keep all the small groups single sex, but if there is enough interest I'd consider having women's groups on the same site.

4. Albert

Albert Banned Banned

I feel bad for you

5. YODA

I feel bad for you feeling bad for him.

6. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

be aware, it might turn out to be a gay flirting forum then :D

7. StorDuff

StorDuff adamantium

I feel bad for you for feeling bad for him for feeling bad for him :eek:

8. YODA

That's bad.

9. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

*cough*postwh0re*cough*

:D

10. YODA

*cough*Damnnewbies*cough*

11. morphus

morphus Doobrey

Why only christians....?

12. SecurityAdvisor

SecurityAdvisor Valued Member

Hi iolair,

I'd be interested. I have friends who are fellow Christians and friends who are fellow martial artists, but few who are both. Such a forum would provide a place where Christian martial artists could exchange ideas and share the faith.

Hmmmm...Maybe some of the ladies could form a group as well? MAP has several female Christian martial artists.

Proverbs 16:3

13. Happeh

Happeh Banned Banned

That is amazingly rude. Is that your intent?

14. dustIn credible

dustIn credible Valued Member

Happeh, there already is something like that. Its taking/teaching MA based on Christian values which i think is great.

www.karateforchrist.com

15. iolair

iolair Mostly Harmless

OK...

After feedback I've got elsewhere, I've opened this up to male or female aged 19+ ... although the small prayer/support groups will still be single-sex.

anyone want to preregister? The initial URL for the site will be http://www.iolairweb.co.uk/knights/. (If the site becomes popular I might go domain shopping).

I'm still not sure about the name I've used for the site, but everything I changed it to felt wrong somehow ... even stuff as safe as "Virtual Prayer Fellowship". So the name stays for now, but any suggestions...

All that's working so far is the status page and the registration process... when I get the rest working I'll e-mail all those that have preregistered to let them know how to activate their accounts and get started. Hopefully it should all be live by July 1st.

Any further feedback or questions you can send via the status page if you want (or here, of course)...

16. iolair

iolair Mostly Harmless

I wasn't intending the site only for martial artists ... (otherwise I would have posted in General Chat instead of Off Topic, I guess).

17. SecurityAdvisor

SecurityAdvisor Valued Member

Oh, OK. I assumed that you were focusing on Christian Martial Artists. Nonetheless, It sounds interesting. I'll check out the registration page.

18. iolair

iolair Mostly Harmless

Yay! I have finally got all the basics written and tested ... so I hereby declare the site "live". I've e-mailed account activation codes to all the people that pre-registered. Any other christians here that want to join too are more than welcome
    --> http://www.iolairweb.co.uk/knights/

19. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

My church has a real problem with me being in martial arts. Seems they think I'm going to turn into a buddhist or something. Though there are worse things that could happen I suppose. I don't like closeminded people who think that being a christian and a MAtist is incompatible. Oh well.....

20. Mrs Owt

Mrs Owt New Member

I have encountered the same type of attitude. Not in my church but with my husband's family who are of a diff religion. I also had my sister , again of a diff religion than myself, ask if I was going to switch religions because of my MA. People just don't understand or cling whole-heartedly to misinformation for their own reasons. Oh well...