Making 'Tsuki' AIKI

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by aikidoka-je, Feb 2, 2013.

1. aikidoka-je

aikidoka-je Blue Floral Belt

Not very long. I'm only on my seventh year and there is so much more to learn. :)

You can always tell your technique is wrong if it doesn't work.

You can use other variations of a technique but that doesn't make it wrong.

Budo is a lifelong devotion.

2. mattt

mattt Valued Member

You have trained Aikido since 13? That's cool.

What makes you think the view you were taught MA is very different from others on here?

I was taught them in Japan, was being taught them in Fl an important factor in this?

3. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

That doesn't mean you are necessarily grasping the details and essential elements of the waza, it may sound odd but there are many ways to make it "work" but that doesn't mean it is done correctly as far as your art goes.

With that in mind can you please take us through some of these waza you have mentioned?

As of yet you haven't done that, you've made vague allusions to things but haven't really said anything.

No it makes it henka/kae waza but even then it should still stick to and apply the fundamental aspects of the art or waza being performed. Just doing something wacky and different doesn't necessarily mean it is a henka of the technique.

Not sure why you have chucked that out there to be honest. It doesn't let you off with going here there and everywhere with techniques and slapping a henka label on them.

4. aikidoka-je

I was always the youngest in the group.

I believe you probably had better instruction in Japan.

My group has heavy empesis on the spiritual part of Aikido.

-----

-----

Back to the topic of AIKI Tsuki.

Has I have said it is very important to get good at striking hard.

After one can strike hard, they can then add the AIKI. Having good striking they can move forward.

-This applies to all strikes, not just Tsuki.-

It evolves from a sharp striking motion into more and a 'pushing' motion. Instead of the arm's strength being put into it the whole body's strength is put into it. ~ it is no longer a strike!

5. Dean Winchester

What is "the aiki"? I'm not trying to be awkward but you haven't attempted to explain how, from your perspective, that fits into any of this.

That's just striking. There's nothing special about integrating the whole body into a strike it's what practically every decent system out there does.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
  6. dentoiwamaryu

dentoiwamaryu Valued Member

AWASE, The only way to understand Aiki

7. Dean Winchester

Pretty much what I thought and I'm not even a Aikidoka.

8. aikidoka-je

AIKI is what it means. The state of 'joining spirit'.

The Uke and Tori are one and their techniques are their expressions.

The realization of AIKI is what make's it possible. Strikes become no longer strikes, all -KI- becomes unified and the fight is no longer a fight!

9. mattt

mattt Valued Member

Does that mean that the uke and tori are in cohoots in order to access aiki?

10. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

Why do you consider a "pushing" motion better ?

11. Dean Winchester

No that is a translation of the term, it doesn't explain or describe how it relates to what you have describe as far as the waza goes.

Without linking this on a practical level to the waza most of this is waffle to be honest.

Could you please take us through things like the iriminage type technique you mentioned in a step by step way. Relate these concepts to their physical manifestation in the waza.

12. aikidoka-je

Not necessarily.

When an Uke attacks, the KI always hits first. Tori just needs to blend with hit.

Any striking that is done by Tori can be aimed in the direction of Uke's KI (this usually breaks the balance).

Another thing to remember: Each move by Uke introduces a different set of possibilities for Tori in a fight.

For me it depends on the phase, if Tori has worked his way into Uke's space then yes. :)

13. mattt

mattt Valued Member

Time for a video (of anyone doing this) so we can explore further?

14. aikidoka-je

A way Tsuki can be used by Tori.

Uke steps in and throws Tsuki at tori.
    Tori enters (Irimi) replying with his own Tsuki.
    When Tori's Tsuki makes contact, he can (quickly) take several more steps. - This can cause Uke to fall on his back.

That can work very similar to Iriminage.

15. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

The point of any attack from uke is to try and strike tori with intent - doesn't matter how you tart it up, the idea is to give them sufficient pressure to test their level of technique.

This is not magic or mysterious - I generally tell my students to try and punch each other in the face. The contact can be light but the intent has to be present - anything else is basically prancing around in heavy pyjamas....or magic pants

16. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Like this? (??????)
    (I like how the instructor remains aware of uke's 2nd hand. I don't always see that in videos.)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0byBNUK7JQ"]Irimi nage[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xd0EMgXdqu8"]Kaiten nage[/ame]

17. aikidoka-je

The strike that the Tori used on the second video to help his Kaiten Nage is pretty much what I'm talking about! Except in his case he uses a variation of Nukite Uchi instead of Tsuki (but that doesn't matter cause it works the same way).

18. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Is this your own conclusion or something you've been taught? I'd highly recommend you broaden your horizons and look around at a few other arts. Start with western boxing.

19. aikidoka-je

I'm already doing that. Want to be able to make different martial arts work together in harmony. ;)

20. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

What's wrong with the way they work now?