MA are evil?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by vampyregirl, Apr 26, 2012.

1. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

In my defence I'm not under any Gracie affiliation and the history of the art has never been a subject of great interest. I mean I know who Helio was but there's not much reason for me to know what he looked like. Other than being one of the most famous martial artists in relatively recent years of course.

2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

There are too many jokes and memes for this one, such as the "What I think I do" meme. Or The Waterboys Mum saying that "everything is the Devil".

But really, it all comes down to, "Have you, a practicing martial artist, EVER tried to summon The Devil?".

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

He quit my class after one session.....wuss

4. Devil Hanzo

Devil Hanzo Doesn't tap to heel-hooks

If I was going to waste my time summoning something that doesn't exist, I'd rather it be a genie. Hook me up with some wishes, brah.

5. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

You got three Bro! No wishing for more wishes though Dawg.

6. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

There's another way around that, you know... :evil:

7. OwlMAtt

OwlMAtt Armed and Scrupulous

Comments like this are an indicator of someone who learned everything he knows about the martial arts from video games.

8. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

No, but I do summon my devil voice every time the Jehovah's Witness people come around to the door......."Please allow me to introduce myself......".

9. Allers

Allers tricking, kicking

I wish I could wish for more wishes! :D

10. Putrid

Putrid Moved on

He is right.How can you fight someone unless you are in an insane mindset?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2dd3ivYBv4&feature=plcp"]Steve Morris High Intensity Impression - YouTube[/ame]

11. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

Wish 3: I wish for another Genie

12. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

On topic or don't post please folks.

Mitch

13. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

I think the man is awfully confused and is mixing up certain religious practices that are featured in some indigenous martial art forms with the martial arts techniques and applications themselves.
    I would pass him off as being ignorant and ridiculously superstitious for his own good.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  14. Haakon

Haakon Valued Member

I've had a wrestling coach that I was convinced was the devil during some practices, but I sure never tried to summon him!

No martial artist I know has ever called upon spirits to posses them to make them better fighters. You could write him off as an idiot, or just someone who is gullible and/or horribly misinformed and you've got a chance to educate him.

15. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

In this day and age would you really lend any credence to someone who displays such an astounding lack of coherent and rational thinking.

I mean seriously.... :bang:

16. Griffin

Griffin Valued Member

What do you think vampyregirl? (must be time for a name change right?)

Does that extend beyond someones idea of what martial arts involve themselves in?
    Why wouldnt it, the extention of this line of thought is that anyone not following strictly your religion is also in some way.. you see where your being led with this?
    No?, neither did a certain countries citizens back in the mid to late 30"s.. ;)

17. warriorofanart

warriorofanart Valued Member

It's like when you're reading a book, you're reading the author's thoughts.

When you're training in a given style, you're practicing the same forms the founder(s) did, and the numerous others that followed before you. There's a form of connection...

It's not like they possessed your being, no, you're becoming the embodiment of the art. The art isn't just a physical thing, there's a whole lot of "spirit" that goes in there as well.

It takes spirit (a strong heart, dedication, etc. they're all the same thing) to "master" something (whether a MA or a musical instrument), or to live life to the fullest. That doesn't sound like the devil's work to me? It sounds like the exact opposite of that ;)

18. shootodog

shootodog restless native

no no my friend. helio is just the current "godfather" of bjj. it was carlos gracie who studied under judo master mistuyo maeda (count coma) and founded gracie jiu-jitsu in 1881/2.

19. warriorofanart

warriorofanart Valued Member

20. shootodog

shootodog restless native

what "made" bjj was the constant "push" of the founders. investing heavily on fight experience in vale tudo. for me, helio is godfather, no argument there. but it was carlson, sr. and rolls that widened the art.