Loyalty

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by JTMS, Aug 24, 2007.

1. Silentmonk

Silentmonk The Blue Donkster!!

Ok lets look at these points shall we.

Well done finally you actually realise the point i'm kinda trying to make. What the hell has it got to do with anyone else if people want to say anything on here at all. To try to belittle peoples oppinions by saying they have no right to have them and should have more loyalty to a syatem that sees them as a number rather than a human being, than to their own true feelings is stupid, period. Who says I have major problems with the organisation. Oh by the way I left once because of all the bull I came back because of an instructor. Perhaps you ought to read shibbys point on that one huh. Have your loyalty to your students not your organisation and you might still have money coming in through your front door. To be honest if you were part of my organisation what the hell would it have to do with you anyway??? That statement in itself shows me how important you obviously believe yourself to be.

Oo the second point I attack your name? Lets go back through the post count and see who trys to make smarts about peoples names on here first shall we?? My point was that anyone can use a name on these things to poke fun at other people and try to belittle them. Shows a very poor immature and aggressive mind, all your points i believe but were done by you first what does that tell you about yourself??? By the way its not boastful its bull, master of what? spending 20 odd years going to a room and spending a few hours a week doing something. The whole presumption of the name is ridiculous in itself. To be the master of something is to have complete control of it. Yet you are still learning are you not? Therefore no one is a master by definition of anything has no one heard of chaos theory. But then you'd have to actually care about the idea rather than the adulation to realise that. I truly bow down in your presence.

What exactly do you know about me apart from the fact that i find you an idiot and you find me one. How does that support anything apart from the instance when you believe that you have the only true oppinion that matters and are not willing to listen to anyone else. Oh thats indoctrination. Thanks for totally supporting my points about you that I have made previously.

Are you noticing that its really easy to turn anything on these forums to mean anything you want it to. Depending on your own slant towards thing?

Would that mean that perhaps things that people put as slight complaints and grumbles are turned into disloyalty by people like yourself. I bet you expect your students to call you sir in the street don't you. Oh the emphasis was on EXPECT there and that really does sum up how you come across to me on this forum. So lets sum it all up shall we. I come across as disloyal towards my organisation to you and you come across as someone who loves to be centre of attention, is full of his own importance, and thinks he is great. Wow can't forums be totally misleading hey. There you go its unlikely we'll ever meet. I don't really care what you think because I hold you in so low regard. Those people that actually do know me and the support that I would give to help this organisation grow because of my "loyalty" to certain members of it, know where my loyaltys and respect actually do lie. You are making out of posts exactly what you want it to be.

The only reason I rose to this in the first place to it was because like NIck had said haven't we done this a million times? But then surprise surprise someone who is outside of the organisation wishes to drag up peoples comments and try to turn the organisation against itself. Great loyalty towards Korean martial arts systems there huh. ;)

2. SaBumNim

SaBumNim Valued Member

As a response to Mr. SilentMonk: I just use SBN in my use name because I have been an instructor in Kuk Sool for quite sometime, not to flaunt my rank... But maybe it was arrogant, can you change these names anyways?

I find loyalty to be local, to the people who train and care about you. Not the people who send you flags and patches. I have told almost those exact words to higher up intructors in the past.

3. JTMS

JTMS Valued Member

Hi Silentmonk,

Understand that I have never thought or indicated that I thought you were an "idiot". I believe that we have very different ideas, mainly about what is the best way to express ourselves. I find it very amusing how off the mark you are in your descriptions of me......oh well.

As far as my students are concerned and the way I treat them:

I truly love and care about all of my students. I also admire my Grand Master, I guess this is why your stance is so alien to me.

For what it matters I am willing to agree to disagree and I wish you the best in martial arts and in life.

4. Quozl

Quozl Valued Member

Um ... sorry, but, can we all stop shouting at each other and being personal? Sorry but isn't martial arts all about respect? We all practice Korean Martial arts of one form or another, whether we belong to WKSW or not. In many respects I have no idea what the politics of the organisation is. I, personally don't really care. It may be a bit head in the sand, it may be a bit naive. But all I am truely intersted in is improving my Hyung, getting my stances lower, learning my techniques, and getting them right, improving my kicks, and generally getting ready to earn my Brown Belt , then my DBN, then my Black Belt. Whetehr or not Kuk Sa Nim rules WKSW with a rod or iron, or not, really doesn't bother me, because in my day to day Kuk Sool, he doesn't affect how I do my spin kick, or how well I do Maek Chi Ki 12, or Joon Mak Maga Ki Bon Su 7, or Ki Chi Hyung, or what ever. But seeing higher belt levels talking like this on the internet about Martial Arts and eachother and the interaction in the Amrtial Arts ... well it saddens me a bit really. Sorry. If Martial Arts has tought me anything, it has tought me respect. Hope that helps.

5. ember

ember Valued Member

Yes, you can. I'm not sure whether it's a Moderator or Administrator privilege. If you really want to change your handle, you can PM or e-mail one of them and they'll help you out.

6. psbn matt

psbn matt great sage = of heaven

if you want to change your name, pm saz, and explain why and what you want to change to and she will do it for you. thats what i did, when i changed mine.

7. hwarang cl

hwarang cl The Evil Twin

Why change your SN?

If it's your rank you should be proud of it, don't mind these fools who condem you for using it as your SN. Rank should be something to be proud of, unless you didnt earn it, but it also shouldnt be used to deter, belittle or whatever other people whilst chatting. It also shouldnt be boasted, I guess you have to define that fine line between bragging and being proud of it.

8. Silentmonk

Yeah I wouldn't change it if its something you believe in. it realy wasn't meant to be a general go, it was a statement at how anyone can take a name on here and make it into mockery.

You have stronger feelings about the importance of your rank than I do, its something you want people to know, as hwrang has said it can be for many reasons, I'd only change it if you did put it there to brag, and lets face it if you had you wouldn't want to change it would you. So I'd just leave it ;)

ok editing that cos it could be taken wrong. What I meant was I don't think you put it on here to brag so why change it. Its just letters of an alphabet joined together like anyother name on here. People will read into it what they want only you know the reason you chose it so why does it matter what others think.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2007
  9. Silentmonk

Where is our stance different thats the bit I don't understand? I have never said I don't admire him or respect him. I just don't think that everything he does or the organisation does is right. It doesn't mean that I don't admire him or respect him. You see thats the point we disagree on, what loyalty and respect is. It seems to me if we were both stood on the titanic and saw the iceberg heading towards the boat you'd just stand there and pat the captain on the back and I'd be shouting Iceberg. I was bought up to question and find the answer not accept something that was told to you was right even when you can see it is wrong.

Thats not loyalty thats stupidity. You are just letting something head towards certain death. (And I don't mean you I mean in general.) If no one comes along and challenges something then it in itself loses its validity to exist because it hasn't actually had to prove itself right.

You see I personally see it as I respect him enough to question the way he leads an organisation when I think it is being done wrong. That way at least he doesn't just think everything is ok.

But ok we'll agree to disagree. :Angel:

10. ember

ember Valued Member

And that's something like how I see it. One of the lessons my mentor in college taught me was "Question everything, including this."

Some of the questions that people have asked on this board have struck me as more Socratic in nature. Designed not out of disloyalty, but to understand how we think. And also, perhaps, to probe for problems. It is impossible to fix a mistake that one doesn't know about.

11. Bahng Uh Ki

Bahng Uh Ki Valued Member

I'm ambivalent about posting one's rank. On the one hand, every rank one earns is something to be proud of, and knowing someone else's rank gives eveyone else an idea of how much that people knows (at LEAST of the curriculum) and a vauge idea of how much experience they have. On the other hand, one of the great benefits of the internet is being able to interact with other people without having veils between us that cloud impressions. We should be able to talk to other people (in this case with whom we have at least a mutual interest in Kuk Sool) without having to first make assumptions about them, that may not have anything to do with our discussions. As detail about one becomes important in the conversation, one can share that information.

Both ways are good, but telling the group in a letter or in a handle of one's higher rank doesn't make one automatically arrogant. In fact, of the high ranking poster who have announced their rank, I have found them to be very open, honest, gentle, and willing to share of their experience and training, which we can all benefit from. I suspect I could make a good guess at their rank without them having announced it, just from the way they interact with others.

I also do not think loyalty is about non-questioning. One can question respectfully. One can dissagree respectfully. One can also respectfully choose to take one's loyalty somewhere else. I think the problem is that American's are used to having a vote. When policy changes in the organization are announced, it comes as a surprise to many people, and even if Kuk Sa Nim surrounds himself with knowledgable advisors, democracy didn't occur. Of course, WKSA isn't a demcracy, and I think that ticks off Americans. Deep down, democracy is a part of our collective soul. We just can't quite wrap our "majority vote" mentality around being told the way things are going to be. We simply don't get a say, except to stay or leave.

I think Kuk Sa Nim has done a pretty good job. What he has accomplished has probably been a lot harder than any of us could imagine, even if we might not agree with every decision. I'd rather have this than the political infighting I see in other organizations. And I do not want the job of leader. No way.

I wonder if Americans complain more about about the governing organization than Koreans do?

12. fightinchance

fightinchance New Member

I don't think this is exclusive to American's, I do understand what you are saying here though and it is a good point that it is with in all of us to feel that we deserve a vote, or to give input on the matter. Now I have to think what it must be like to be 25 years with the organization and have changes slapped on me. Now that's a whole other ball game wouldn't you say?

No one here can argue that it is not always easy to adjust to the new imposed rules....and so if you hear complaining on here, let's be honest, it's a place to vent. As Bahng Uh Ki says the only choice is comply or leave....really, and when you have put YEARS of your life, and given time, talent, dedication and loyalty, it can be a real slap in the face to turn around and be treated like you don't matter or your input to the organization.

for Musool I think you can agree with this point, If someone needs a place to vent that....do you blame them? It's a great right to excersize, and perhaps the venting can lead to action for the better. :Alien:

13. hwarang cl

hwarang cl The Evil Twin

I vent, with other BB's over several pints. :D

I don't think that the original poster was talking about venting. I see some serious "disrespect" by some of the newer BB's(newer meaning promoted to BB the past 10 years), and it really makes me feel sorry them. They dont know how good they have now, and how much they look like spoiled little kids to KSN and all the other higher raking people in KS.

14. Shibby!

Shibby! Valued Member

No the newer BB's just question the whole thing, they question what they dont see as right, or what they see could be changed for the better.

Just saying nothing and letting people go on their way, completely oblivious to what is right/wrong, you think this is how modern society is. This is the 21st century.

10 years ago, if questions were asked they would have got smashed by their instructor. Times have changed, and instructors cant go about punishing people like that. If you do wrong you used to get hit with a big stick. Now you get push ups.
    It was fear back then.

just he way society has changed, especailly in regard to Martial arts, if instructors started cracking people for questioning them they would have no students left.

What some of you dont seem to reaslise, is that Kuksool is privately owned, its a buisness. Its not a democracy.
    Look at any multinational company, this is almost exaclty what Kuksool is. KSN owns it, he can do whatever he wants from it.

Everyone is going to have a problem with something that is done, whatever happens, its not going to suit a group of people. some are just reluctant to change which also causes problems.

You talking about Loyalty, so who are you loyal to? a symbol over your dojo? a name? Because thats all Kuksool is.
    Your instructor is what you go to the classes for. Thats where my loyalty begins and ends. I am loyal to them, they are also loyal to me. Thats how it should be.

Some of you put the image of Kuksool up on this pedastool, or KSN. So much so that you 100% must agree with everything you are told.

I just feel sorry for some of you that just go through life following, just being told exaclty how to do things, and never questioning it.

nick

15. Bahng Uh Ki

Bahng Uh Ki Valued Member

Yes, Kuk Sool Won is a company. If a company is offering me a product I have some problems with, I owe it to talk to that company about the problems I have. They WANT to please the constomer. Maybe not every single one gets served perfectly, but they have to go with as many as they can please. Sometimes, even if I feel like just one small voice of a constomer in hundreds of millions of citizens, my voice is heard.

I feel that WKSA is responsive too. If we have a problem, we can talk to our masters or instructors about our concerns. Maybe we never find out if anyone heard us. WKSA doesn't exactly hire a bunch of public relations firms to answer our letters. Talking here is just sharing our feelings, nothing more than chit chat. It isn't intended to affect policy in any way.

16. davefly76

davefly76 Valued Member

i think the growing popularity and success of kuk sool won would show that there are one or two "pleased customers" and that ksn has pretty much done alright. :cool:

the company (re: ksw) i work for has got bigger and bigger over the last 10 years or so. a lot of that is down to hard work by its employees (instructors if you like) and pleasing a lot of customers (students) but that doesn't mean we haven't p***ed off a few though, does it? and i'm including employees as well as customers!

17. Gi Ma Ja Se

Gi Ma Ja Se 90 degrees is 4 real MA's

I know that a forum has a certain degree of freedom of speech as this is what they are intended for, but this topic has been covered many times (i suppose anybody who wants to read up on it can search for one of these topics quite easily) but newcomers will always ask this question just as they will always ask how do i post a picture.....?

yes it does get on our nerves replying to the same old drivvle but everyone has the choice to reply or not reply... again freedom of speech and all that

My reply is simple, I respect all people in martial arts, i respect all people in KSW as they are my friends and i have the MOST respect and loyalty... for my instructor!

AM I loyal to KSW after the past 20 years and what it has given me and the friends i have made.... YES.... END of STORY....!!!!

Now if anyone wants to talk about KSW history, or training and forget about politics im in another topic on MAP

:)

Last edited: Aug 28, 2007
  18. LoneStar

LoneStar Valued Member

Hi I'm new. Guess where I'm from. I have to say there are a lot of know-it-all airbags, pontificating themselves into self important bliss here. Your topics and discussions are soooo annoying. Can we change the topic to kuk sool butt? Has anyone else noticed that their buttocks are growing stronger with each passing month of practice? My butt used to flatter than the average Joe. Now I seem to fill out every pair of denim I try on... Please discuss.

19. JSun

JSun Valued Member

Make it a new thread ;)

20. Shibby!

Shibby! Valued Member

I would only be interested in this if you were a chick.

Nick