Lowestoft

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by Picksey, May 24, 2004.

1. Picksey

Picksey New Member

Hey.

Any aikido MAPers go to Lowestoft this weekend?

2. DexterTCN

DexterTCN New Member

I wish.

Lowestoft (if I am correct) is the 'Big 3' meet that happens yearly in the UK.

I had the good fortune to attend Foster sensei's summer camp in 2000 and it was a wonderful week.

Maybe someone else would like to fill us in on the Big 3 :D

3. Picksey

Picksey New Member

Well, sadly it's no longer the Big 3, due to the loss of Sensei Tom Moss this time last year. There is talk of this year's course being the last, a kind of tribute to Tom - there is some reluctance to continue it without him, and Sensei Bill Smith and Sensei Hayden Foster are not so well...

Anyway, I had a fantastic time. It's amazing seeing these little old guys with years of experience (125yrs between them!!!) bouncing strapping young men in the prime of their lives round the mat like there's nothing to it. I was even asked to be Sensei Bill Smith's uke at one point, and got a coveted "good girl" :) :) :) (though I doubt he would have slapped a white belt in the face like he does the senior grades!).

The only thing I would say is that it was 31 degrees in the dojo :eek: and the sound wasn't particularly good - you didn't always catch what the Sensei had to say. If it's still on next year, I'll definitely be there.

4. DexterTCN

DexterTCN New Member

I apologise. I forgot about Sensei Moss. An unforgivable lapse on my part.

As to the aging point - yes I agree. Sensei Foster must be approaching 80 now.