Low-Line Shin Kicks

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by Simplicity, Apr 4, 2005.

1. Simplicity

Simplicity Valued Member

How many of you out train this way?

Take It Easy,
    John

2. Prophet

Prophet ♥ H&F ♥

Ummm... Si? :bang:

3. archrival_keysi

archrival_keysi Valued Member

yes both internal and external although my left shin has taken a battering, why u ask?

regards to everybody

4. tel

tel absorb what is useful for

few times a week,covers in few hrs of jun fan

5. Simplicity

Simplicity Valued Member

Guys and Gals,

Need I say " Longest weapon To The Nearest Target". I'm shocked not to many people have post here....For one of the most important process in Jeet Kune Do..... :bang:

Take It Easy,
    John

6. faster than you

faster than you Valued Member

we train low kicks, but we concentrate much more on hands. lerning to throw a demolishing lead hook to the jaw is more importnat than kicking someone's shin or knee.

7. tel

maybe maybe not. trying to hit the jaw is a lot harder than hitting the leg.look at the size of the bone ,but also people are more aware off strikes to the face than they are strikes to the knee

8. faster than you

it may be harder, but that's why we train.

9. pug32

pug32 Valued Member

Yeah, irritating as hell that shot, raise it up to the knee and its nasty

10. jaymdubbs

jaymdubbs Valued Member

yea

fasterthanyou, while i agree a "demolishing" lead hook is an excellent technique to train hard, i dont feel it is more important then training shin and knee kicks. i think every technique is equally important and ALL YOUR TOOLS should get the same amount of development as the others. it would be kind of hard to pivot the foot to deliver the hook if someone just snapped your ankle or knee. just a thought..... :)

11. moononthewater

moononthewater Valued Member

Low kicks are simple fast and painful and very effective i like them. Nothing better than sinking one in the yin part of the thigh.

12. Simplicity

Simplicity Valued Member

I agree you must train your hands.....But you are not thinking in the terms of simplicity.......Why?....Do you know what Jeet Kune Do means?....."Way Of Intercepting Fist"......which can and does mean intercepting leg.....Heres how it goes.......If someone is coming at you with a punch and you intercept their punch with a low-kick to their leg, they will not even get close enough to you to land that punch, (longest weapon to the nearest target) if you take their foundation out.....it's that simple......now here's a way I can prove it to you.....next time you a training with a partner.......stand in front of each other.....Have your partner jab at your face.....with his hand all the way out to your face......now you lean back and put your foot on their shin or knee-cap.....their hand will not even be close to your face, but at the same time your foot is on his leg.......get the point.

Also think in the terms, that your leg are the field-artillery pounding away to softing them up.....while your hands are the infantry to clean it up.......Just a thought! :)

John

13. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

Agree with John. Chances are you can get a low kick off without being noticed/blocked/parried as much as a punch. Blow a knee out and the confrontation is pretty much over. You'd have to be crazy not to practice low line kicks. Not to mention, what kind of kicks will you be throwing after you hit middle age and can't do those fancy higher kicks anymore? Look what happened to Ken Shamrock...

Last edited: Apr 12, 2005
  14. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

a lead hook is rather expected, and not always a guaranteed knockout, but not many people are expecting a low knee kick, and if you get it to land right, the fight is either over or you are in a good position with a great disadvantage.

15. faster than you

i would rather break a man's jaw or leave him unconcious than break his knee.
    hey john, since you seem to think only in bruce lee writings, remember that he said ultimately the man with better hands would beat the man with the "mighty foot."
    intercepting with kicks for me is easy, but intercepting with punches is just as easy.
    i can kick stronger, faster, and higher than anyone i have ever seen, but i still think that hands development is more important, especially against trained people.

16. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

I fully agree with that, the basics of throwing a good punch are much more important on a core level.

17. jaymdubbs

jaymdubbs Valued Member

yea

so in other words, you are the ultimate martial artist? who would have thought that you would have develop your tools to the perfect stage. wow. im amazed.

look everyone, the ultimate martial artist is talking ON THIS BOARD!!!!

i agree with you the hands are important, but that your kicks are perfect? im sure they are great, but i think everyone can always improve on the development of their tools, no matter how old they are.

18. tel

if i was fighting i would take either one of those shots
    .if u knock him out great!police might want a word with u for that.
    plus if u say that your kicks are the best thats a big claim but if thet really are that good.don't need to use your hands do you?but if u are really the best of the best,why not go and teach at seminars? hey there are map meets all over the place offer to teach at one of those.maybe we can all learn something

19. archrival_keysi

archrival_keysi Valued Member

HMMM just relying on your hands be it punching trapping or locking (locking very rarely achieved in the street) is naive if u have the range to keep one person or more away from u the better chance u have as it very rare that fights happen one on one these days plus the shock tactic of havin you knee cap dislodged makes u forget about most things then u can strick manouver you openent to finsh him or block other attcks comin your way. I think it is imperative that all ranges are studied the same this way if u can kick and manouver sombody so as to stop another attacker rather than tryin to strick one person and the grab u even only for a mila second then u r in trouble if there is more than one person attackin as this gives the oppotunity to attack u while u a partially disabled. Just my thought but a very real situation.

If the range is closed to quickly for a kick then i agree stricking is important but u can be six inches away and still drive you foot down sombodies shin and this does cause alot of pain, felt this from my instructor when he had shoes on made me forget about trying to hit him and opened me up to a pounding (this was just a nase to help us understand u can be one range but use another ranges attck suck as punchin in kickin range as discuises etc)

regards to everybody

20. Simplicity

Simplicity Valued Member

Let face it here people.....We need to train in alot of areas.....but this thread was about Low-Line Kicks....which is the artillery in combat.....when you soften the bad guy with these types of kicks.....Trust me when I say the mind will go to the stop that just took a shot to the leg.....take out the foundation and it hard to fight.....also if the person is a bad-mofo....they are thinking twice about coming in to attack if every time their legs are taking shot from low-line kick.....I'm a boxer by nature and been boxing since I was 10 years old......I do love to put my impression on someone's face with my fist, lol

Faster Than You, if I'm at one of my friends party or something like it.......and one of his friends is being a ass, then sure I would not hurt him with a low-line kick but use my hands instead......but when it is a real life deal going down.......the building is being bombared with low-line kicks.....even if their tough......they will no longer be able to get away......no wheels.....the car isn't going nowhere.......also in your post that you are better kicker than anyone, great and maybe you are.......but skill is not enough in real combat.....if you like those fancy high kicks great for you.....just remember that one leg has to be on the ground and that where a low-line kick finds its home.....just my opinion......I don't post to upset anyone but, to give my exp. , so all can learn......I'm a student just like everyone else in these forums.....I know what I know and I know what I don't know and the more I learn, the more I learn I don't know.......this is what make a great martial artist in my opinion.......not trying to be better then other's.......because no-matter how good you are.....their is always someone better or worst than you are!

Good Training To All,
    Take It Easy,
    John