Losing interest in MMA...

Discussion in 'MMA' started by ShadowHawk, Aug 3, 2013.

1. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

I cant even name current UFC fighters. Growing up in the 90s I loved watching Mike Tyson. That was the Ali of my era, despite his tragic story. But to come out of 3 years of prison and reclaim your belt in one fight is epic.

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Name 5 - I bet you can without even trying

3. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

In part, a lot of the lack of recognition is due to sparse/negative views by local sports media, ESPN ( Ronda Rousey coverage, notwithstanding ), the current anti-combat/fighting mentality in the American schools.

Ya, you could say the market saturated, but you have to be a fan/know where to look if you want to see an MMA match.

Its not like the sports section of the local US paper or 6pm news sports half-hour will mention anything related to MMA.

4. Hannibal

Really? We have pages in the local paper and a dedicated fight channel in Canada

5. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

The Daily Mail had an article on the last UFC. Dunno how deep you have to dig to find it, but the link was in google when I was looking for results.

If you look at PPV buys the UFC has outdone both boxing and the WWE, and the latter in the UK is on Sky Sports. Most people I've spoken to about it know what mma is. They might call it "UFC" or "cagefighting" but they know its a thing, and that's as far as their knowledge of boxing goes too. I know boxing exists, I couldn't tell you anything else about it. MMA now seems to be on the same level.

6. belltoller

Ah, Canada...I knew I shoulda stayed in the Territories when I was there...

We do have Fuel T.V. here in the States, but as far as local media coverage, nada. None. Its all baseball, football, basketball.

I think here the problem is the local media relying on the interests of one sole demographic to the exclusion of all else - the white, suburban female mother - who don't approve of fighting, much less cage fighting.

7. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I'm just getting properly interested in MMA because I can now get the UFC free on BT sport. :)
    Although 3am is far to late at night for a 40 year old working man with a family and exercise to recover from.
    Will have to wait and stay offline until it gets shown later in the week at a normal time I think.

8. belltoller

Its all that jumping one-legged on an exercise ball while holding dumbells and wearing a gas mask that you do.

Methinks you need to simmer down a bit. :D

9. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Just record it?

10. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Streaming it live over a laptop and then HDMI cable into a telly.
    Don't think you can record that can you?

11. Southpaw535

I don't know how FRAPS works, but I know gamers use it to record their screen during gameplay. I'm guessing you could probably use it to record the ufc as it streams.

12. Pretty In Pink

I'm getting it from the tv ^^

13. Southpaw535

Fraps was aimed at PASmith

14. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Don't you aim fraps at me young man.
    I assume fraps is some new street insult all the young kids are using right?

15. Southpaw535

I remember VHS tapes and kids these days don't. I don't think I get to be called a young man any more :(

16. Pretty In Pink

I was in a charity shop with my ex and she asked me "Why are those Dvd cases so thick?"

Needless to say this was one of the main causes of the break up.

17. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I tell you...I still have a working video player and VHS tapes.
    Got some old martial arts stuff I watch occasionally. :)

18. Hannibal

I bought a second hand VHS player for $5 and 30 Disney movies for 10c each from the local thrift shop - thats a lot of vieiwng for Junior and means Daddy gets to watch WWE DVD's on the telly!!!

19. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Hah...we've only just got a new DVD of "Mulan" because it was starting to flash and change colour on VHS. :)

20. Hannibal

I couldn't find a head cleaner anywhere either so at teh minute the VHS is unused...this will be a job for a screwdrive, nail polish remover and a Q-Tip