Looks like a foggy day

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Xue Sheng, Jun 6, 2023.

1. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

I was just about to go out for a short walk, looked out the window and it looks very foggy...but it isn't fog

Smoke From Canada’s Wildfires Worsens Air Quality in Northern U.S.

I live in the North/East USA and it is pretty darn smokey out there, and I'm 3.5 hours south of Montreal (221mi, about 355KM)

And I am supposed to be in Canada next week.

axelb and Grond like this.
  2. Grond

Grond Valued Member

Likewise. I went out today and there is just this overwhelming haze everywhere, and I started coughing. I figured there must have been a house fire nearby or a fire in the next town over, but the sheer volume of the pollution is actually from over 100 wildfires 500+ miles away, all due to out of control heat spikes caused by global warming.

So much for all that climate change denial and rhetoric about how wasn't a big deal, it will actually make some areas better. Nope, people are literally going to choke to death walking outside. It's times like this that I really hate political idiots and what they think is important, vs. what's actually killing people. Just like all the idiots who told me COVID wasn't a big deal, was fake, but still killed a million people just in my home country, and are still telling everyone surgical masks don't stop the spread of disease, that vaccines are bad, etc. It's all really started to eat me up, and now I understand why the Chinese invented Tai Chi.

I might have to actually put on a particle filter mask just to go shopping tomorrow, it's that bad.

3. Xue Sheng

Sorry to hear this about the smoke there. As for Global warming, the last argument I had with a denier I ended with a bit of investment advice for him....Do your grandkids a favor...Invest in beach front property on the Southern border of Georgia

We had a Thunderstorm this evening that cleared things up a bit, I will see how things are tomorrow

4. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

5. Xue Sheng

6. Xue Sheng

Something very odd is going on here..... the sky was blue, and there was no smoke in the air and it doesn't smell like a campfire..... and what was that big flaming ball in the sky....

7. Xue Sheng

Air quality good today

8. Grond

Grond Valued Member

It was in the yellow, almost orange in some areas in the NE today. AQIs between 50 and 150. I guess going forward, checking the AQI is going to become a thing, just in case there are clusters of uncontrolled climate change induced fires burning within a thousand miles and we have to bunker down. According to some politicians, we should be burning MORE forest to combat this. God help us.

I have a few military vet friends who keeping telling me they saw this sort of thing in Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, and Iraq, from intentionally lit oil fires.

Oh, happy day.

9. Xue Sheng

AirNow.com has us in the yellow today in REAL upstate NY. But that's not bad enough for me...so I'm going to Canada tomorrow.....planed trip my wife wants to keep.

10. Grond

Grond Valued Member

Incoming, according to local weather reports. I wish it was just the daily weather, but in this case clouds of toxicity, brought on by the unfortunately human-caused climate change.

I never thought my morning would begin checking whether the air I breath outside is healthy. But here we are.

11. Xue Sheng

nor did I, Canadian wildfire smoke is here again....and currently, it is unhealthy.

12. Xue Sheng

Been dealing with smoke from Canada for 3 days now, today is the worse, air quality is unhealthy and it even looks smoky outside

13. Grond

Grond Valued Member

Had an opportunity to head to the northeastern part of the Appalachian mountains this weekend, and even there was smoke everywhere. You can tell the difference between regular mountain haze, and the pollution.

By Sunday after the rains, it was kind of washed away and actually dewy. But according to scientists, the smoke is not going to end and it's just going to get worse over time.

14. Xue Sheng

Been raining here for 2 days, it made the air quality better, we're at 26AQI today, last couple of days we were over 150.

Here in the foothills of the Adirondacks you can also tell the difference between fog and the smoke that has been hanging in the air

15. Xue Sheng

This morning I looked outside and I was not sure if it was fog or smoke...so I checked the air quality app on my phone...it was actually a bit of both, but it hit me that I never in my life thought I would be an AQI on a daily basis to see if there was smoke in the air... use to check it when my wife went to Beijing, and it was usually not good there, but never expected it here in the foothills of the Adirondacks