Looking for BJJ place

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by Icrippler, Feb 28, 2009.

1. Icrippler

Icrippler Valued Member

Hey
    I live in Toronto Canada and I was wondering if anyone knew of some good places that teach BJJ. I was looking at a place called revolution and it seems pretty good. http://www.revmma.com/index.html The teachers there all seem very experienced. Anyone have any recommendations? Also would anyone know what the average price would be for taking BJJ classes?

Thank You

2. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

Hey, I don't know about Canada... sorry. Here in the States, I think it depends upon where you're at and who you're learning from. I'd say somewhere between $100 and $150 per month US Dollars.

3. Omicron

Omicron is around.

Not sure about Toronto...I'm in Vancouver and I just started BJJ recently, so I don't really know of any places out east. The going rate for BJJ here in town is usually somewhere between $120 and $160 a month, depending on the school and contract options...you can probably expect something similar in Toronto.

4. Icrippler

Icrippler Valued Member

alright cool
    thanks alot guys

5. Omicron

Omicron is around.

No worries! Send me a pm if you ever end up out West and are looking for a place to train while you're here :cool:

6. Icrippler

Icrippler Valued Member

alright thanks. I was planning to start this summer right when school ends. What should I be expecting from a bjj class. Cause i do taekwondo and i know im gonna be out of my element the second i hit the ground.

7. Omicron

Omicron is around.

I hear ya. I went from a fairly traditional kempo school to BJJ, and it's very, very different. Still, you'll definitely be better off than a total beginner. It will take you a while to learn a whole new way of moving your body (i.e. on the ground), but once you start to get a feel for it you'll probably find that your learning will accelerate quite quickly due to your previous experience learning techniques.

Typically you can expect a fairly intense warm-up. At our school we usually start by going for a quick run around the gym and then practice breakfalls/rolling/various other ways of moving across the floor. We then partner up with someone our own size and do things like hop over their back then shoot back through their legs, wheelbarrow pushups, fireman-carry squats, and things like that. Once that's done we move on the the actual technique training, which usually takes up at least half the class. The instructor demonstrates a technique, and we practice it slowly with our partners. Various variations and escapes will also be introduced. Finally, the remainder of the class is spent rolling...if we were working on a specific position (like mount or guard) we might start the sparring session already established in that position and try to emphasize the techniques we learned in class. Other times we start on our knees, and still others we start standing. It really depends on what we're learning, and how many students show up.

That's just our school though, and I've never actually been to any other BJJ places (like I said, I'm still new). Anyway, the school you go to may or may not resemble what we do, but it will probably be reasonably similar.

8. Icrippler

Icrippler Valued Member

o man i am going to definitely look forward to joining. All of it sounds interesting and fun. Thanks for the help omicron :)

9. Omicron

Omicron is around.

No worries! :)

Let us know how you like your first class!